Is dog repellent spray for sale in Thailand, can it be carried in checked luggage?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
RomanR
Novice
Novice

Is dog repellent spray for sale in Thailand, can it be carried in checked luggage?

Post by RomanR »

Hi.
Last year we had a dangerous situation evening time on the beach against group of dogs. And now I and my sister are thinking how to protect ourselves against them.
We already bought something like Dazer Ii Ultrasonic Aggressive Dog Deterrent Repeller ( not exactly this but similar)....
Any other ideas?

Also Is it legal to buy in Thailand ( if yes, where.?) or to bring in luggage by plane sprays against dogs like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spray-scaccia- ... SwLVZVkwul
Or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mil-Tec-Pfeffe ... Sw-MFbfE40

The second actually is also against humans but can be used on dogs too.
But to tell the truth the first , which is against dogs can be used against humans also I suppose.

Thanks in advance

Roman
lomuamart

Re: Is it legal to buy in Thailand and to bring in luggage by plane sprays against dogs l

Post by lomuamart »

Doubt it.
And even your airline might have something to say about it at check in.
That's just a guess though.
PeteC

Re: Is dog repellent spray for sale in Thailand, can it be carried in checked luggage?

Post by PeteC »

The banned list is below. I would think repellent spray is banned due to it being flammable and probably under pressure. Full explanation at: http://www.airsafe.com/issues/baggage/banned.htm

The following items are completely banned from aircraft, and should not be brought to the airport:

Explosive and incendiary materials
Flammable items
Gasses and pressure containers
Matches
Oxidizers and organic peroxides
Poisons
Infectious materials
Corrosives
Organics
Radioactive materials
Magnetic materials

I also know that pepper spray is not sold here legally and it is considered a weapon and those in possession can be arrested. There were several news articles about it years ago when woman here started to buy it for protection.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Is dog repellent spray for sale in Thailand, can it be carried in checked luggage?

Post by PeteC »

Nothing is worse though than to have your holiday spoiled because you are afraid to walk down the street. The below is available to buy here and of course it is not stated as a dog repellent. However with its needle spray tip it will go about 3 meters, and it is definitely strong enough to make a dog turn and run if sprayed in the face.

I've never used it for that but it may give you and your sister some peace of mind to have some in your bag.

Also, find a sturdy walking stick and carry it with you. The dogs here definitely know what they are, and just a motion of one usually sends them on their way.

https://huahinforum.com/download/file.p ... &mode=view
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
daddy

Post by daddy »

Hi RomanR!
You can buy spray (pepper spray) in Market Village, 3rd. floor in the small stall at left side before you go into the cinema. Ask there for it. And it works perfectly! :D
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I'd go with pepper spray or any og the spray lubricants that has a nozzle. WD40 comes to mind.

Be mindful of which way the wind is blowing. Very easy to become a victim of your own self defense spray.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

RomanR, a very strong torch shone into the dog's eyes works better that anything else I've seen. Buy them in many shops in Hua Hin, and might prevent you walking in to a little gift left on the beach by a beach pony as well.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Do the ultrasonic devices work?
Also I read on another blog of a guy who simply mixes bleach (I think?) and water into a spray bottle. Cheap, and you can by small spray bottles.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Aussie69 wrote:Do the ultrasonic devices work?
Also I read on another blog of a guy who simply mixes bleach (I think?) and water into a spray bottle. Cheap, and you can by small spray bottles.
Vinegar would be less harmful and just as effective.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

hhinner wrote:
Thanks Image
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Torchlight is even safer.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhinner wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 am
Yes. I really hesitated earlier this morning suggesting Chaindrite and therefore withdraw the suggestion to use it. I killed a rat with it some time ago and it was not hard to do. Hit it in the face and it was dead a few meters away in less than an hour. I would imagine if it hits a dog right in the eyes/nose/mouth it could do it in over time as well, in a very painful way.

I'm surprised to hear that pepper spray seems to be legal and for sale now. All the commotion the papers and police made about it some years ago and I hadn't read things had changed. The wife was almost arrested when found in her car door pocket during a normal traffic stop. There is a thread on here somewhere about it being illegal in those days. Pete :cheers:
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

As stated above, your best bet is to carry a light weight walking stick. I’ve been doing that for 6 years now, including regular walks on the beach with my dogs, and have never had a problem. Whenever a potential confrontation arises, all it takes is just showing the stick and the aggressors know exactly what it is and beat a hasty retreat. An added bonus is that by packing the stick, if you ever witness some asswipe trying to spray a noxious chemical on the poor dogs you can use the stick on them to remind them of the virtues of being kind to animals. Especially animals that have a tough enough life without having to deal with some moron trying to poison them...
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Scout wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:51 pm As stated above, your best bet is to carry a light weight walking stick. I’ve been doing that for 6 years now, including regular walks on the beach with my dogs, and have never had a problem. Whenever a potential confrontation arises, all it takes is just showing the stick and the aggressors know exactly what it is and beat a hasty retreat. An added bonus is that by packing the stick, if you ever witness some asswipe trying to spray a noxious chemical on the poor dogs you can use the stick on them to remind them of the virtues of being kind to animals. Especially animals that have a tough enough life without having to deal with some moron trying to poison them...
Were such comments really called for? Besides, it were to do as you suggest, you would probably get the same treatment as the dog, and to make matters even worse, you would find yourself facing criminal charges.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I honestly don't understand what the problem is. I've fended up to 10 dogs off regularly with torchlight. I used to walk the beach every night for about 5 years, and never failed to stop any aggression with a torch (and walking 3 dogs, there was a lot of territorial aggression shown towards my dogs). Sticks, chemical sprays etc - all overkill in my opinion.

Points 48; Position 20