Agoda hotel descriptions/prices warning

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Big Boy

Re: Agoda hotel descriptions/prices warning

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry, I forgot to update on my Google Maps theory. 3 hotels booked, and Google Maps and Agoda offered exactly the same rates. However. I know that I've made substantial previously, in particular on Ratchaburi bookings. I will book with careful scrutiny when we go to the Nasatta Light Festival Winter Illumination, hopefully in 2 weeks time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:59 pm I will book with careful scrutiny when we go to the Nasatta Light Festival Winter Illumination, hopefully in 2 weeks time.
Let us know where you stay (and if you get a better rate on Google Maps), will probably head up there ourselves in the next couple of weeks.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We usually stay at the Western Grand Hotel. An older hotel, but cared for. I actually think it must have once been Ratchaburi's top hotel. Not expensive, and easy to get to.

Points 48; Position 20
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Sometimes there is a prize that is subject to cashback terms, which is a little annoying. If you use VPN you will get about the same price, sometimes even cheaper without cashback.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

While I was away down South this week I had 3 separate hotel bookings, one for each night. I kept getting e-mails from โรงแรมนานาบุรี <notifications@agoda-messaging.com> advising my bookings were about to be cancelled. I didn't panic, thinking there are plenty of other hotels I can use. However, none of the bookings were cancelled. The hotels knew nothing about it. Has anybody else experienced this?

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:34 pm While I was away down South this week I had 3 separate hotel bookings, one for each night. I kept getting e-mails from โรงแรมนานาบุรี <notifications@agoda-messaging.com> advising my bookings were about to be cancelled. I didn't panic, thinking there are plenty of other hotels I can use. However, none of the bookings were cancelled. The hotels knew nothing about it. Has anybody else experienced this?
Knew nothing about cancellations or bookings ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They still had the bookings - knew nothing about the cancellations.

I've just booked to go to the light festival next week, so will see if it happens again.

Incidentally, I booked the Grand Western Hotel for 497฿/night (after taxes, etc) via Google Maps/Agoda. Agoda's starting price is 525฿. A small saving, but a saving it was.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:54 pm They still had the bookings - knew nothing about the cancellations.

I've just booked to go to the light festival next week, so will see if it happens again.

Incidentally, I booked the Grand Western Hotel for 497฿/night (after taxes, etc) via Google Maps/Agoda. Agoda's starting price is 525฿. A small saving, but a saving it was.
Had same problem once before with booking.com telling me my reservation was cancelled because of (allegedly) problem with my credit card yet when we arrived at the hotel the room was ready and no knowledge of any cancellation.
And same as you, it didn't bother us as there were other hotels we could have gone to
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've received a series of Agoda cashback e-mails from Cashback from Agoda <no-reply@agoda.com>, but they sound like scams to me i.e.:
Simply click the “Request Cashback Reward” button below and provide us with your details, including valid credit card or debit card information. After you submit your details, it should only take us a few days to remit the amount to your card.
Each e-mail is offering a different amount. None of the amounts is going to make me rich (largest amount $4.32), but I'm afraid they could be stripping my money. Is anybody else receiving them? Has anybody clicked the button?

I'd appreciate feedback.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Never receive emails from them aside from booking confirmations. The "cashback" offers are usually displayed when you try to book something, it discounts a few baht off the price.

Don't EVER enter your credit card details into something that you arrived at by clicking on a link/button in an email!!!

While on the subject of Agoda, be aware that it is very selective over what reviews get published. It omits some of the negative reviews and only pushes the positive ones to get more bookings (revenue). I reviewed a place we recently stayed in giving it a lower score due to the excessive noise and half the lights and sockets in the room not functioning - Agoda did not publish it and only published the reviews I submitted on places that were positive. Google was less biased. Caveat emptor.

Edit: Maybe Agoda in Thailand is subject to its stupid slander laws and is legally prohibited from publishing negative reviews for Thai hotels over the threat of being sued (for telling the truth). Its just something to be aware of when reading reviews on the site.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

You can view your cashback rewards on your Agoda website. You can also request the money there.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I keep saying I'm going to finish using Agoda, but keep going back :banghead: :banghead:

I've decided to have some time in Ratchaburi this weekend, but for some reason Ratchaburi is basically selling out fast. My usual hotels are fully booked (not just on Agoda - tried phoning as well).

I eventually found somewhere to stay, and booked. Agoda decided I needed to pay the hotel upon arrival on the 20th - no problem. Hotel booked, or at least I thought so. Within minutes, I started receiving e-mails telling me I had to transfer cash to an individual by midday tomorrow to secure my booking - I ignored them. I've now received an e-mail from 4338125452-uwxd.xjjq.gew8.zqgy@property.booking.com demanding money - I don't think so.

I've tried to speak to Agoda customer services - they have been having technical problems all day.

My booking confirmation is quite clear - pay upon arrival. I've replied to 4338125452-uwxd.xjjq.gew8.zqgy@property.booking.com stating the conditions of the booking confirmation, and if they feel they need to cancel my booking, so be it. At the end of the day, it wouldn't be the first time I've driven home after the footie.

I had a similar episode last year when I stayed at Cha-Am for a while. When I queried it with the hotel, they knew nothing about any cancelled or threatened to cancel bookings. I can only presume the Agoda booking database has been well compromised. Be careful people.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:32 pm I've replied to 4338125452-uwxd.xjjq.gew8.zqgy@property.booking.com stating the conditions of the booking confirmation,
By replying to an obviously malicious/spammy/scam email address, you've confirmed yours is active as is your Agoda account, so expect more spam and scam attempts as your now compromised email address gets distributed to dodgy databases. NEVER reply to these things or click any links in them. Agoda will not email you.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Whoops :oops:

It would have helped if Agoda's Customer Services was functioning.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Interesting. The high level domain booking.com is definitely valid and could be used by Agoda (being same group as booking.com).