Some Bangkok Embassies to stop Certification of Income Letters

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Some Bangkok Embassies to stop Certification of Income Letters

Post by Scout »

I used my US Embassy income affidavit to renew my retirement 2 weeks ago, no problem. There was no mention at the time of any changes for next year. The male immigration officer I dealt with had difficulty with the English language, especially in telling me how much the fee was and had to resort to showing me a calculator.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The 800,000 sitting for 3 months prior to renewal simply proves the money is there at that moment in time for use by the expat over the coming 12 months. It could be gone out of the bank account for whatever reason within minutes of the person receiving his extension, especially if it was "borrowed" in the first place.

65,000 per month equates to 780,000 in deposits over a 12 month period. Up it to 67,000 and you match approximately. This method is even greater proof I would think that steady funds are coming in to support the person.

In my opinion the second method is more reliable than the first method. Do they see it that way? Time will tell. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Except if you receive funds 2 or 3 times a yr. instead of monthly.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Yes Pete - I agree...

If you can show regular monthly pension income IMHO this is (obviously) a regular transaction. The payments will only stop coming when the recipient dies (or should the pension provider goes bust)...

If the IO sees B65k (non-pension cash) being t/f into Thailand monthly from abroad, they cannot know how much is left for the months to come. Conversely, pension payments, by definition, are certain to be forthcoming all the time the person is still alive.

All TI would have to do is email the foreign pension provider once to validate things and retain a copy on file. Each subsequent extension could be granted easily because TI would already have details of the ongoing pension income.

(Then I woke and remembered - TIT)
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

During my time in Asia I have met and enjoyed the company of many Embassy staff in the Embassies of several countries. The two most prestigious departments in any Embassy are Political and Trade. The branch that looks after the needs of the citizens of their country is a very low-status one. One guy I knew got into a problem with alcohol. He was hauled up, told he had to mend his ways and was transferred from Political to the Visa dept for six months as a punishment. Told that if he mended his ways he could go back to having a real job in Political. So I understand why Embassy staff in these positions are grumpy on a daily basis.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

PeteC wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:03 am The 800,000 sitting for 3 months prior to renewal simply proves the money is there at that moment in time for use by the expat over the coming 12 months. It could be gone out of the bank account for whatever reason within minutes of the person receiving his extension, especially if it was "borrowed" in the first place.
Well then, that would be a really good friend, to lend for 3 months.

Which case, friends like that, they wouldn't have to worry about you stiffing the hospital if sick ..... 8)
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I don't see what Imm's problem is with regard to income - 40/65K a month.
Until now, all an applicant had to do was to show an embassy letter. We can go on forever about the veracity or otherwise of those letters depending on one's nationality but the fact was/is that if a person feels that they can get by on 10K a month then that's all they bring in. Simple. They've got the income but just choose not to bring it all to Thailand.
However, if Imm say they want to see 40/65K a month coming into a Thai bank account well either the money gets spent or lies idle and their banks win. Either way, it's a win situation for Thailand.
I appreciate that the rigor of transferring that amount won't suit everyone but.....
Kray63
Novice
Novice

Post by Kray63 »

Kray63 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 pm I was at Immigration yesterday , What a mess .... My Income Statement needed to be Translated and Certified by MOFA...I am still on Hold as need a copy Of The real Owners House Book not The Rental Lady ..LOL
Got it straightened out ...I have been using 135/1 and the Owners House book says 135/4 ...LOL . Had to get a new NON O as I was in The Hospital for 2 weeks ICU and my Extension Expired ...LOL .. :roll: :roll:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

All TI would have to do is email the foreign pension provider once to validate things and retain a copy on file. Each subsequent extension could be granted easily because TI would already have details of the ongoing pension income.
The Data Protection Act would make this pretty impossible. And secondly, in the UK for example, a pension can be cashed in as a lump sum so ongoing payments would obviously cease.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I was at the US Embassy yesterday, but not for income verification. From what I could tell, the only appointments they'd accepted for the day were for Notary Services. Never seen so many people there. How many? The line for the cashier was out the door and down the steps.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

lomuamart wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:23 pm I don't see what Imm's problem is with regard to income - 40/65K a month.
Until now, all an applicant had to do was to show an embassy letter. We can go on forever about the veracity or otherwise of those letters depending on one's nationality but the fact was/is that if a person feels that they can get by on 10K a month then that's all they bring in. Simple. They've got the income but just choose not to bring it all to Thailand.
However, if Imm say they want to see 40/65K a month coming into a Thai bank account well either the money gets spent or lies idle and their banks win. Either way, it's a win situation for Thailand.
I appreciate that the rigor of transferring that amount won't suit everyone but.....
Either way, it's a win situation for Thailand.

I think Thailand testing the water because if ducking deep into this whichever Embassy grant the affidavit there can in the long run be diplomatic agreements at stake.
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Coped and posted the following which was on Hua Hin Facebook Forum. Could be the answer some are seeking
According to another Forum, there could be good news on the horizon for expats who need to prove income....

The Pataya City Expats Club (PCEC) is reporting in their newsletter released today that the Consul General for US Embassy in Bangkok was interviewed by Pattaya FM 103 on December 20. I was unable to find a link to the audio of the interview.

The most newsworthy items are that the Consul General has seen a draft of a new Immigration Police Order and expects it to be released in January, and the last point confirming that Immigration really doesn't want to be in the income verification business either and is likely to focus on the transfer of funds into a Thai bank as the solution.

Key points mentioned:
They have met with both Immigration Headquarters including some of the regional offices (they met with Pattaya's Deputy Chief when they came down for their recent Outreach Visit).

The Income Affidavits being issued by the Embassy until [the] end of December will be valid for 6 months from [the] date of issue and can still be used by those renewing their extensions during that period. Today, they had made 500 appointment slots available for notarial service including the income letter (The ACS had previously announced last week that they were making 400 appointment slots available today - December 20, for Notarial Service including issuing the Income Affidavit)

They are aware that Immigration HQ in Bangkok has not yet issued instructions to regional offices on what documentation would be acceptable for proving you have 65,000 in monthly income but expected it [to] be sooner as their discussions about the income letters [were] last spring. He said there is a draft of the new Immigration Police Order, which he has seen, and he expects it to be sent out to Regional Offices in January. [emphasis added]

A big issue with Thai Immigration is they don't want to have to review the various types of documents that could be involved and seem to be focusing on evidence of transferring funds into a Thai bank from outside Thailand as the solution. [emphasis added]
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

PJG wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:38 pm Coped and posted the following which was on Hua Hin Facebook Forum. Could be the answer some are seeking
According to another Forum, there could be good news on the horizon for expats who need to prove income....

The Pataya City Expats Club (PCEC) is reporting in their newsletter released today that the Consul General for US Embassy in Bangkok was interviewed by Pattaya FM 103 on December 20. I was unable to find a link to the audio of the interview.

The most newsworthy items are that the Consul General has seen a draft of a new Immigration Police Order and expects it to be released in January, and the last point confirming that Immigration really doesn't want to be in the income verification business either and is likely to focus on the transfer of funds into a Thai bank as the solution.

Key points mentioned:
They have met with both Immigration Headquarters including some of the regional offices (they met with Pattaya's Deputy Chief when they came down for their recent Outreach Visit).

The Income Affidavits being issued by the Embassy until [the] end of December will be valid for 6 months from [the] date of issue and can still be used by those renewing their extensions during that period. Today, they had made 500 appointment slots available for notarial service including the income letter (The ACS had previously announced last week that they were making 400 appointment slots available today - December 20, for Notarial Service including issuing the Income Affidavit)

They are aware that Immigration HQ in Bangkok has not yet issued instructions to regional offices on what documentation would be acceptable for proving you have 65,000 in monthly income but expected it [to] be sooner as their discussions about the income letters [were] last spring. He said there is a draft of the new Immigration Police Order, which he has seen, and he expects it to be sent out to Regional Offices in January. [emphasis added]

A big issue with Thai Immigration is they don't want to have to review the various types of documents that could be involved and seem to be focusing on evidence of transferring funds into a Thai bank from outside Thailand as the solution. [emphasis added]
A lot of maybe's.....like this whole thread...!!
The immigration should hire an agency to confirm the actual income and the transfer of it to Thailand. A stamp from that agency could replace the embassy income letters. Since this is going to be an extra expense for immigration, those choosing to use the income route of course should pay for the service....2.-3000 baht each time?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

T.O.M. wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:46 pm The immigration should hire an agency to confirm the actual income and the transfer of it to Thailand. A stamp from that agency could replace the embassy income letters.
Rhetorical question. Would such a move increase or decrease the probability of corruption?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I read a post on FB yesterday that had been copied from the other forum. Apparently the US Counselor General or some big hat from the Embassy gave a briefing on the subject.

Basically, Immigration will be publishing written direction in mid January. (Just didn't say which year).