Some Bangkok Embassies to stop Certification of Income Letters

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Some Bangkok Embassies to stop Certification of Income Letters

Post by RCer »

Interview with US Consoler General 43 minutes long.

The gist of it is 65k per month going into a Thai bank or a lump sum of 800k in the Thai bank for 3 months.

The official Thai policy will be distributed to the various Immigration Offices in January.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Love the guy crawling on his stomach :laugh:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ Sorry mate - not my take at all. Sorry you did not hear what you wanted to hear.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If aimed at me, I'm happy I know exactly what I need to do now, which was double confirmed by listening to the interview.

However, I still thought that guy crawling on his stomach to avoid being seen on camera was hilarious.

Points 48; Position 20
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^^ Sorry BB - my bad. I thought you were describing the US embassy official as "crawling on his stomach". Yes, I noticed the tech guy down there on the floor as well.

Cheers
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I must admit, I thought some of the questioning was a bit harsh, but the guy dealt with it very well.

Points 48; Position 20
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Renewed Retirement Visa Extension with British Embassy Income Letter at Hua Hin today, Arrived 9am & was out in 20 minutes.

They would not say anything about using income for next year (only 800,000 in Thai Bank for 3 months) but did say keep a copy of you Income Letter & it 'may' be a help if you have a shortfall next year.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've just read a translation of a statement issued by Thai Immigration. Apparantly, their website will be updated shortly.
For income, they state one of the options of 40/65K transferred into a Thai bank for one year prior to application for extension.
What appears to me also, is that they will still accept evidence of income using letters issued from an embassy or consulate (for those that still issue them). It says nothing of 'verification' by those embassies.

That makes me wonder if the BE and the other three embassies have acted a little hasty.

I can't quote the source but members will know from where it comes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As an ex-Civil Servant, I don't think the Embassy had any choice but to withdraw the letter. They can't deliberately tell a lie. If Thai Immigration were specific in their needs, and the Embassy couldn't comply....................... we are where we are.

I have absolutely no problem with the monthly transfer of money. My only worry is the gap between my last renewal and notification of needing to transfer monthly - I hope they make it clear how the gap in monthly transfers will be accounted for.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well there are 38 foreign embassies in Thailand, not counting consulates. UK, US, Oz and Denmark will not issue letters as they cannot 'verify' income.
As no more have stated that they will not issue income letters, that leaves over 30 embassies which apparently will be accepted by the TI. I don't believe any embassy can 'verify' income and according to the statement (if translated correctly) they state 'Evidence of income from a foreign embassy or consulate.'

I've been using the income route for years but I don't actually spend 65,000 per month here. Showing 65K being transferred every month will turn into a form of saving but with no interest return. I suppose that in time, anyone doing that will accumulate 800K at which time they can stop the monthly income transfer.

Fortunately, I'm in a position to make the 800K deposit although it's not something I'm happy about.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The following is the statement on the immigration web site as it stands today and it is very clear
https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account deposited (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or
(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.
(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in
a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of
no less than Baht 20,000.

(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed
income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht
500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.
Documents to be submitted
1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
4. Account deposited (saving / fixed account) certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook
5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4
stated above.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The website is in Thai but applies only to non-Thais. Brilliant.

I see that your age determines your cost of living. Are these people insane or just stupid?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:26 pm The website is in Thai but applies only to non-Thais. Brilliant.

I see that your age determines your cost of living. Are these people insane or just stupid?
It is in Thai and English look top right of page and select ENG
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:26 pm The website is in Thai but applies only to non-Thais. Brilliant.

Those financial requirements depending on age are what the regulations were back in 1998 and as long as those who got their extensions then and have continuously extended every year since then, they continue to have to meet the old requirements/financials.
This is what "grandfathering" is about.
Hope that makes sense.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There are many sections to that website, not all relevant only to non-Thais. As Hdrummer says, you can choose English or Thai.

I'm not sure if that reflects the current/new rules. It seems a little dated.