American Sports Page

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: American Sports Page

Post by migrant »

Thanks for doing this Pete!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:20 pm Thanks for doing this Pete!
:thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpxoC5s8PM.jpg
phpxoC5s8PM.jpg (158.15 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpPhHPEjPM.jpg
phpPhHPEjPM.jpg (158.32 KiB) Viewed 898 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phppJUmV8PM.jpg
phppJUmV8PM.jpg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 894 times

https://www.footballdb.com/games/index.html
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpASfT96PM.jpg
phpASfT96PM.jpg (135.11 KiB) Viewed 885 times

World Series 2023 TV Schedule

Game 1: Friday, Oct. 27, 8:03 p.m. ET, Fox

Game 2: Saturday, Oct. 28, 8:03 p.m. ET, Fox

Game 3: Monday, Oct. 30, 8:03 p.m. ET, Fox

Game 4: Tuesday, Oct. 31, 8:03 p.m. ET, Fox

Game 5 (if needed): Wednesday, Nov. 1, 8:03 p.m. ET, Fox

Game 6 (if needed): Friday, Nov. 3, 8:03 p.m. ET, Fox

Game 7 (if needed): Saturday, Nov. 4, 8:03 p.m. ET, Fox
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

We all know "College Sports" is a big deal in the US, but the figures quoted here are quite simply mind-blowing IMHO. An interesting and eye opening read to say the least. :shock:

The Million-Dollar Hustle Changing US Sport - How College Football Athletes are Cashing in

"College football in the US is big business. The sport, which kicked off its new season last weekend, is awash with money.

The 65 universities in the top five athletic conferences generated a combined total of more than $3.3bn (£2.6bn) in revenue from their American football programmes alone last year.

Starting next season, the 18 universities in the Big Ten Conference - traditionally one of the strongest and most prestigious college gridiron competitions in the country - will share more than $1bn a year (£792m) in television broadcasting money.

The coaches who run these top football programmes also earn extraordinary sums. Nick Saban, coach at the University of Alabama, topped the list at $11.7m (£9.3m) in 2022. Kirby Smart, the University of Georgia head coach who has won the past two national championships, was just behind, at $11.25m (£8.9m).

Name a state - Florida? Iowa? California? North Carolina? - and chances are the highest earner on the government payroll is a college football coach at one of the state's public universities.

The significance of the sport in the United States goes beyond dollar figures, however. It is woven into the cultural fabric of communities across the nation - particularly in the midwest and south, where spectators fill stadiums, some with seating capacities of more than 100,000.

Of the 10 largest sports stadiums in the world, eight are US college football venues. On Saturdays in autumn, the population of towns like Ann Arbor (University of Michigan), State College (Penn State), Tuscaloosa (Alabama) and Baton Rouge (Louisiana State) come close to doubling in size due to the arrival of loyal fans from across the region.

Outside the stadium walls, a national television audience numbers in the millions. Last year's national championship game between Georgia and Texas Christian University attracted 17 million viewers."

Full Article @ https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/66713731

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

2023 World Series

Game #1: Texas 6 Arizona 5

Game #2: Arizona 9 Texas 1
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Shocking to say the least.... :(

Nottingham Panthers Forward Dies After Neck Cut in Challenge Cup Match

"Nottingham Panthers forward Adam Johnson has died after suffering a serious cut to his neck from a skate during Saturday's Challenge Cup match.

The game against the Sheffield Steelers was stopped in the 35th minute as the 29-year-old American received emergency treatment from paramedics on the ice."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67253892
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^

I've seen the video. Horrific. Completely reckless by the other skater who has a history of bad behaviour, racking up the most penalty minutes in the 22/23 season and regularly being kicked out of games.

It was a Kung-fu kick to the throat. Sure, he would never have meant to kill him, and he now has to live with that for life...but that's manslaughter.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Found a clip that doesn't show the gruesome part. But a man still died here so content warning of course. I understand Bamboo Grove is an ice hockey fan. Maybe he can shed some light as to whether this looks like a natural movement of the leg or a malicious move.

Edit: deleted. It's attached to the more horrific version.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:59 pm I understand Bamboo Grove is an ice hockey fan. Maybe he can shed some light as to whether this looks like a natural movement of the leg or a malicious move.
Pete, you may be able to assess the situation better than most in the UK too. You seem more American football but...

:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:41 pm 2023 World Series

Game #1: Texas 6 Arizona 5

Game #2: Arizona 9 Texas 1
Game #3: Texas 3 Arizona 1
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpbyg1xLPM.jpg
phpbyg1xLPM.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 826 times

https://www.footballdb.com/games/index.html