Beach Walks - Now & Then

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Beach Walks - Now & Then

Post by STEVE G »

Then I zoomed in on the signs, which seem to indicate some kind of First Aid advice, and then to the right there is a red post with a First Aid looking type of post on it. There is clearly something attached to the rear of this post.
Those signs were put up all along Hua Hin and Khao Takiap beach a couple of years ago, they warn about jelly fish and give advice about treatment. In those red posts, there was a small bottle of vinegar on a piece of string to treat stings but I don't know if they're maintained.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Aussie69 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:15 am - In your 2014 photos the shadows are all wrong, and where are the stars?
- The solar radiation levels at this location would produce unbearable temps.
- It is humanly impossible to pass through the Chinese Temples tide belt.
- There is no sand on the soul of crocs, only the upper layer, suggesting photoshopped image manipulation.
yep, you're on the ball. I noticed it initially when BB started all this "oh look how my Crocs just broke" nonsense. We all know Crocs can survive bombing raids by F17 fighter jets. I assume he is using this distraction technique so we focus attention on to his shoes and away from the telltale details on photos. :idea:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:33 pm
Then I zoomed in on the signs, which seem to indicate some kind of First Aid advice, and then to the right there is a red post with a First Aid looking type of post on it. There is clearly something attached to the rear of this post.
Those signs were put up all along Hua Hin and Khao Takiap beach a couple of years ago, they warn about jelly fish and give advice about treatment. In those red posts, there was a small bottle of vinegar on a piece of string to treat stings but I don't know if they're maintained.
Thank you - how sensible.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

MDMK wrote:
yep, you're on the ball. I noticed it initially when BB started all this "oh look how my Crocs just broke" nonsense. We all know Crocs can survive bombing raids by F17 fighter jets. I assume he is using this distraction technique so we focus attention on to his shoes and away from the telltale details on photos. :idea:

Yes, and it doesn't look like sand, it looks like the kind of dirt you would find on grassy knolls in Dallas.

I'd like to know exactly where was BB on November 22, 1963 ???
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Another aborted beach walk today. I tried to do leg 9, Queens Park to the Airport at low tide. I turned around after just 10 minutes, when I came to the 2nd place I'd have to leave the beach.
DSC00345.jpg
DSC00345.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
My fear was that although it was possible to push forward, climbing walls etc., these journeys are return. The tide would be coming in, and I might get cut off before getting back to my start point. Also, from my previous walk along this stretch, I know with the water being so high, there would be some tricky areas ahead, especially the area just before the airport, which was a mess last time.

I already have reports written for the next 4 weeks, so I'll knock further attempts on the head for at least 4 weeks, in the hope water levels drop a little. Incidentally, it would not have been possible to complete leg 8 today either.

Oh, and I wore a different style of Croc today, and I'm pleased to report, they were indestructible.

A quick report on the first 10 minutes - there was huge change, and I was having great difficulty pairing up the 2014 photo with the current skyline. The only sure matches were the entrance to the beach, a broach in the sea wall and the first condo. To put that statement into perspective, the same stretch of beach in 2014 had 16 photos - things have changed big time in this area.
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (81.13 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (167.68 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Picture4.jpg
Picture4.jpg (134.72 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Picture5.jpg
Picture5.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Picture6.jpg
Picture6.jpg (101.94 KiB) Viewed 1757 times

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I have a new idea which would allow you to navigate the tides, and get exercise at the same time! :idea: :duck:

Beach Bike.jpg
Beach Bike.jpg (30.01 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:

It's funny actually. When we first started coming to Hua Hin, our friend Toby (RIP) used to talk about periods when the water was higher. I always thought 'silly old fool, it's just the tide'. I'm now realising how right he was. This is definitely one of those times.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

What are you using for tide tables? Low tide was at 7 minutes after Midnight, and you were obviously not there then.

The next low tide was at 13.03, but still at 2.02m, as against high tide at 2.75 m, at 07.29
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm using the berlinmichael tables I've mentioned before http://www.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTid ... onLength=7 . Times are slightly different, but close enough.

Points 48; Position 20
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I know it's horribly off topic mods - delete as necessary - I just couldn't resist :thumb:

BB's crocs.jpg
BB's crocs.jpg (117.33 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

During my first set of beach walks in 2014, I was having a very bad leg wound regularly treated by Bangkok Hospital. The doc almost collapsed when I presented a similar set of feet.

:offtopic:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Looking at the sea levels, BB, aren't you going to be running the gauntlet of high tides during the day from roughly about now until February/March next year?
As said before, I haven't walked it for quite a while but there is definitely a period from maybe November time and for the next 3-4 months when tides are always high (at least in the mornings). Huge stretches of the beach just aren't there.
I suppose what I'm basically saying is - get your skates/Crocs on and hurry up!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Will the high tides last that long - could be a longer break than I thought. There are a few places further North where I'll be struggling if they are as per today.

Points 48; Position 20
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

MDMK wrote:I know it's horribly off topic mods - delete as necessary - I just couldn't resist :thumb:

BB's crocs.jpg
Funny
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A quick Croc update before I post this week's installment. The oldest Leg 7 pair have been recycled. The lower part had worn through, and even indestructible Crocs have a shelf life.

The blue pair have been to the doctor. Not the guy that was recommended on this thread, but the shoe doctor on the road between Soi 88 and 94, which runs behind Market Village. Mrs BB's choice, not mine. I must admit, I was very dubious when I was told he would stitch them, but the guy looks to have done a fantastic job. My blue Crocs look to be indestructible again.
DSC00348.jpg
DSC00348.jpg (121.33 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
DSC00349.jpg
DSC00349.jpg (104.81 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

Points 48; Position 20