After the cave rescue

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: After the cave rescue

Post by Nereus »

Aussie cave divers presented with royal honours

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... al-honours

Two Australian doctors were on Friday presented with royal honours for their roles in the perilous rescue of the Wild Boars youth football team from flooded Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai last year.

Richard Harris and Craig Challen were given their awards at a ceremony presided over by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. Four Australian officials involved with the rescue effort were also honoured.

Both highly skilled divers, the doctors played key roles in saving the 12 young footballers and their assistant coach in a dramatic rescue that gained worldwide attention last July.

They said before the award ceremony they were looking forward to going to the northern province on Monday to see how the boys were faring.

The youngsters entered the cave after football practice on June 23 for what was meant to be roughly a five-hour trek.
While they were in there monsoon rains caused flash flooding in several chambers and blocked the exit.
The rescue mission was finally declared complete on July 10 -- a mission of unprecedented complexity that involved diving the boys out through twisting, flooded passageways while they were heavily sedated.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

British cave rescuer, rescued from cave.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ed-in-cave
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Cave boys mark year since ordeal with Buddhist rites

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... hist-rites

MAE SAI: The 12 young Thai football players and their coach who grabbed global attention last year when they were trapped in a flooded cave for more than two weeks marked the anniversary of their ordeal with a religious ceremony on Monday.

The boys who became known as the Wild Boars, their football club, took part in a Buddhist ceremony in which they gave food to monks to make merit. They then attended a news conference to talk about their lives over the past year.

Chanin Vibulrungruang, 12, the youngest of the group, said he now has tell his parents where he's going every time he leaves his house.
“I already told my mom I was coming to this event,” Chanin joked. “My life has changed a lot since then because many people recognise me now.”

“I want to say thank you to everyone who took part in saving all of our lives,” Ekapol Chantawong, the 26-year-old coach who led the boys into the cave, told reporters. “We promise that we'll be good role models to society, and we also love everyone.”

Mr Ekapol said most of the boys -- now aged 12-17 -- still dream of becoming professional football players, while some want to become Navy Seals like those who took part in their search and rescue.

Monday's news conference was the second of two days of events held to mark the anniversary. On Sunday, several of the boys, their coach and a number of the local and foreign divers took part in a bike ride and run to raise money to improve conditions at the cave.

The news conference was held at the Saman Gunan monument centre, an art gallery erected near the cave to honour the fallen former Thai Navy Seal who died while working on the search and rescue.

“This place is very important for us,” said one of the boys, Adul Sam-on, who is now 14. “Partly because of Lt Saman, who is like a second father to us. He was the one who helped us, and we need to remind ourselves that every day.”

Gunan's widow, Valepon Gunan, said: “I believe that my husband is still looking over all of them.”

The day's events were organised by the 13 Tham Luang Co Ltd., a company that manages business opportunities stemming from the ordeal that was established with help from Thailand's military government. All 13 survivors hold shares in the company with coach Ekapol acting as chairman.

Mr Ekapol was asked about comments on social media that have criticised the group for seeking to profit from the crisis.
“Everybody's entitled to their own opinions,” Mr Ekapol said. “All we can do is find a way to live with it. In the end, it's their right to think about us any way they want.”
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Elon Musk wins 'pedo guy' defamation case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50695593
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Feck me, the lad wanted $200 million in damages!? That ridiculous number probably played a huge part in getting the case dismissed.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I followed a bit of the trial in the LA Times and "pedo guy" was shown to have been miffed that he did not get any of the interviews for his efforts. Also turned down interviews because Guardian and other papers would not pay his price for the interview. This guy was all about ME!

Elon busted is ass to try to help with testing of his torpedo in school pool then immediately few it all to Thailand and site all in an effort to help.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

brianks wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 amElon busted is ass to try to help with testing of his torpedo in school pool then immediately few it all to Thailand and site all in an effort to help.
He's a self-glorifying prat who seeks attention and defamed someone unnecessarily who did far more to save those kids than he ever could.
Talk is cheap
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^ agreed, the guy is a tool and tars all of us who stay in Thailand with the same brush.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Wonder if Unsworth will have to pay Musk's legal fees. That could be a lot!
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Money money money just like the justice system around the world.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

caller wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:38 am
brianks wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 amElon busted is ass to try to help with testing of his torpedo in school pool then immediately few it all to Thailand and site all in an effort to help.
He's a self-glorifying prat who seeks attention and defamed someone unnecessarily who did far more to save those kids than he ever could.
A "Self-glorifying Prat", pushing his product - Yep, would have agree, but what rich buggers aren't? He and his companies have also made huge strides in space exploration and electric vehicles....
Lost wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:41 am Feck me, the lad wanted $200 million in damages!? That ridiculous number probably played a huge part in getting the case dismissed.
Simply looking for a big payout - surely even the insults that Elon has received on this forum could be classed extremely poorly? Being a white man working in Asia and Africa, a Welsh kid in England, having a Chinese wife...... Believe me, I've had a lot worse!!

Thanks all. :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

If the judge decides that Unsworth must pay the legal fees for both parties, and if he didn't take out loss insurance...

The man is ruined!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Elon Musk could face a retrial in his defamation case after a lawyer for the British cave diver he called a 'pedo guy' said the jury's decision was a mistake.

Musk called Vernon Unsworth, 64, a 'pedo guy' on Twitter but was yesterday found not liable in the defamation case.

Now, Unsworth's lawyer Mark Stephens claims the jury came to that conclusion based on the fact that Unsworth's name was not used in the tweet.
He branded the jury's decision a mistake which could impact other defamation rulings in the future, The Mirror reports.

Mr Stephens said: 'That is a serious problem. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a bullying billionaire or a penniless troll, that behaviour is ­destructive.'

His team aim to file retrial papers by Christmas.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... costs.html
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

All off topic posts have been deleted and/or vulgarities deleted.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Lost wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:11 am If the judge decides that Unsworth must pay the legal fees for both parties, and if he didn't take out loss insurance...

The man is ruined!
It would almost certainly have been on a 'no win no fee' basis
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.