Tax residency in Thailand and taxing overseas income

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: Tax residency in Thailand and taxing overseas income

Post by Big Boy »

As I said, I learned from the change of visa renewal rules. I was seriously looking at neighbouring countries to live in. All made worse by scaremongers on here and other forums. That was certainly panic.

Thankfully we don't seem to be having the same level of scaremongering this time around. I know we all moan about the Thai authorities, but they don't want a mass exodus of expats. I'm sure they'll be as helpful as they can in their own Thai way.

I doubt the Thais know the solution to the problem yet - just sit back and wait. The mists will clear.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Hold on.

If you're suggesting I'm scaremongering, you're wrong. I'd just like clarification of procedure. Hey, who wouldn't?

I used to answer pretty much all the visa stuff on here and always tried to be literal. But that has nothing to do with the point in question - unless maybe we don't get our extensions until the revenue give us clearance.

It would be nice to know where we stand. Yes, dual tax arrangements but how do we prove tax paid? Yup, your P45, BB but the one I've got is some 27 years old. Will they accept my other documents? Heaven knows.

Panic, scaremongering? No.

I'd just like to plan ahead if necessary. I don't think that's a big ask unless I'm dealing with local authorities who haven't got a clue or I listen to those who say what will be will be. Which it will be. I'd just like to know more detail right now.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, not at all. None of this is aimed at you, or anybody else. This thread started with a bit of scaremongering, but has now turned into a sensible thread. Yes, some are worried, but most certainly the scaremongers have gone to sleep.

Panic? Yes, I was really panicking for a while during the update of the visa renewal regs. I was seriously looking at all options. We had a lot of scaremongers back then.

You have never been any more than helpful to me, and always my go to person when I had an Immigration problem.

All that I'm saying is I learned a lot from that experience, and saying we all need to wait, and be patient. The Thais will sort it out. I honestly believe, as with the Visa problem, nobody knows yet. They will be working hard on a solution.

As I've mentioned, I was a Civil Servant, and time after time we were fed fast balls by ministers. We then had to find ways of making it happen. I am sure that is what has happened this time. Just sit back and wait for the solution - they will tell us when they have one. Thinking back to the visa thing, I didn't qualify for renewal the first year, but because many of us didn't have time to arrange the required paperwork. We were all given 12 months grace to sort it. I'm sure it will be the same this time.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:23 pm All that I'm saying is I learned a lot from that experience, and saying we all need to wait, and be patient. The Thais will sort it out. I honestly believe, as with the Visa problem, nobody knows yet. They will be working hard on a solution.
That appears to be the problem at the moment ... "nobody knows yet" so people are seeking clarity to enable them to plan for the future, its not a big ask. But this is Thailand, the land of inconsistency and ever-shifting goalposts.

I'm certainly considering the 180 days out option, but then I have been for a while, this has just accelerated the research process for me and probably many others.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:30 am
Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:23 pm All that I'm saying is I learned a lot from that experience, and saying we all need to wait, and be patient. The Thais will sort it out. I honestly believe, as with the Visa problem, nobody knows yet. They will be working hard on a solution.
That appears to be the problem at the moment ... "nobody knows yet" so people are seeking clarity to enable them to plan for the future, its not a big ask. But this is Thailand, the land of inconsistency and ever-shifting goalposts.

I'm certainly considering the 180 days out option, but then I have been for a while, this has just accelerated the research process for me and probably many others.
So if nobody knows, it’s a bit pointless asking the question, because the answers are only going to be people’s best guesses, which could easily be the complete opposite of what will happen? As difficult as it might be, the best thing is to wait and follow any forthcoming “official” guidance!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, a great option for those trying to plan their future in this country.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well what do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Make contingency plans and be aware that there are likely to be more hoops to jump through. I'm sure many did with the compulsory health insurance scare, this is no different.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure that what some people have already decided- if you plan for the worst then whatever happens can be accommodated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Personally, I feel it is impossible to plan for very much until they tell us the full story. This is almost trying to plan with a blank piece of paper in front of us so far.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I think that people are just airing concerns and hoping that when things become clearer we may, in the forum, have someone who knows and will give accurate answers in the same way that Buksi has been a go to for immigration info. One of the great things about this forum that in general views are exchanged without trolling and abuse.
Forward planning appears to be a very Western concept that Thailand struggles to get to grips with.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Gregjam wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:59 am in the same way that Buksi has been a go to for immigration info.
Not me mate, that was Lomu in times of old.

I know a few that are bringing more money over now before it kicks in in January and bank accounts/transactions start getting scrutinized. People have a right to be concerned, burying heads in the sand while waiting for the sandstorm to arrive is one way of dealing with it though!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:00 am I know a few that are bringing more money over now before it kicks in in January and bank accounts/transactions get start getting scrutinized.
No harm in doing that!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:00 am I know a few that are bringing more money over now before it kicks in in January and bank accounts/transactions start getting scrutinized. People have a right to be concerned, burying heads in the sand while waiting for the sandstorm to arrive is one way of dealing with it though!
Yes, that is exactly what I have suggested friends who live off savings should consider. Money they originally paid tax on, but will not have proof of having paid tax when they bring money across.

For me personally, my pensions are more than I need to live off in Thailand, and they are taxed. I am not sticking my head in the sand, I'm just waiting for the mechanism through which I prove I've paid tax.

Thailand is broke. The last thing they need is a sudden rush of Expats taking their money elsewhere.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Agreed and I do you know what you mean but strictly speaking they don't need to have actually paid tax on it(tax due after assessment may have been zero) I'm being a bit pedantic though!

Also I hope your western logic re losing expats will apply in this case. As we know Thai economic policy can be illogical ie put prices up when business poor

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk