Banking in Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Banking in HH

Post by Ginjaninja »

I have a Kasikorn bank account and quite often using online banking. Each time I transfer I need the OTP SMS which is no hassle for most but as I work offshore I cannot receive the SMS. To get around this I have switched my bank account mobile to my partner's number. This can also be a hassle as she's a busy lass.

Is the OTP system the norm for banks in Thailand? Is there any way around this?

For my other accounts outside Thailand there is never any issue as they have pin-sentry readers, etc.
Appreciate if anyone can advise on this matter.

:cheers:
GN.
buksida

Re: Banking in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

Yeah, have a similar problem when trying to bank overseas with no mobile signal. Even if you can receive, quite often the time limit has expired by the time you get their SMS.

Most Thai banks use SMS OTP, never seen a pin-sentry reader here, they're still a little behind when it comes to these things and assume that their client base is 100% Thai in Thailand.

Google Authenticator is a great alternative that is used for most major crypto exchanges ... but too advanced for Thai banks it seems.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

UOB personal internet banking uses 2FA with an OTP generator device which they call a Token.

I think Krungsri allows non-Thai phone numbers to be used with an account, and therefore to receive OTP SMS. At least in the phone app it allows you to change the phone number to another country.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

hhinner wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm UOB personal internet banking uses 2FA with an OTP generator device which they call a Token.
Thanks guys. The UOB would seem like the best option then. I cannot recieve any OTP as I'm offshore and no mobile signal. I see there is such a thing as a virtual number so I could receive online. A quick check on this shows a cost implication though....
:cheers:
GN.