BBC iPlayer

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Re: BBC iPlayer

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:35 am It must be luck of the draw because I experienced my first buffering of the tournament yesterday for the USA/Sweden game, which was on ITV.

However, my son was in a Zoom call to Scotland at the same time on another computer, which probably had an adverse effect.
Yeah, I still think a lot of these problems boil down to Thailand's flaky internet connections (even with a VPN which usually improves them). Though it appears to be consistently flaky with iPlayer.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:39 am
Big Boy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:35 am It must be luck of the draw because I experienced my first buffering of the tournament yesterday for the USA/Sweden game, which was on ITV.

However, my son was in a Zoom call to Scotland at the same time on another computer, which probably had an adverse effect.
Yeah, I still think a lot of these problems boil down to Thailand's flaky internet connections (even with a VPN which usually improves them). Though it appears to be consistently flaky with iPlayer.
Whenever I’ve done a Speedtest, it’s always a lot slower with the VPN onnected to the UK than when it’s turned off and left as in Thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I complained for ages that I couldn't watch live sport with the VPN, but connecting to East London or Midlands has been brilliant for me for several months. Long may it last.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Doing speed tests in Thailand is like testing to a computer on the same network or intranet. To get an accurate measure of internet speed, you need to test to servers overseas, preferably the US where speeds are often ten times slower than Thailand to Thailand testing.

I have no issues with speed, just video quality on iPlayer.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

No consistency with iPlayer. The England Nigeria game buffered and cut out several times whereas the Aussie Denmark game played without a hitch. Gotta love tech!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The England Nigeria game started with poor quality and buffering (I get the same sometimes watching Premier League). Recognising the symptoms, I re-booted the Internet, and 2 minutes later had full HD, uninterrupted for the rest of the game. Only problem I had was sound and audio were slightly out of sync e.g. we knew Nigeria had hit the bar before the shot.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Similar situ (with the shot off the bar sound sync), changed the VPN location to Docklands which improved it slightly. I even tried to drag the timer back five minutes to get more stability but that had no effect.

This reinforces the premise that it is the internet connections here (lack of stable bandwidth) causing it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it also tells me that it is load on the system when there's a big event. During the real world cup, I couldn't contemplate watching England play connected to a UK VPN. Thankfully your Aussie solution worked a treat.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I don't think it was an internet issue. I was watching the 1st half on TV, and there was a slight time lag, which I noticed when Nigeria hit the crossbar. If you google it, you'll find a number of articles covering the problem.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I rarely bother with live sports on i player. I use https://bosscast.net/sportsch.php?ch
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nice one, just tried that and the ITV stream seems to be working for the live game that has just started: https://bosscast.net/ch_c.php?itv1

Will have a go for the next BBC game.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I've been boasting about the quality of my live stream for this tournament. All of my boasting has come back to bite me on the bum for the Columbia vs Jamaica match. 30 minutes gone - I'd be surprised if I've seen 15 minutes so far :banghead:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Likewise, been saying how much better ITV was than iPlayer, but this match has been unwatchable.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

2nd half has been perfect for me :dance:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

As mentioned before, most of the games (pretty much all of them, as far as I can tell) are also on FIFA+ website, at:

https://www.plus.fifa.com

I still haven't had any major problems with BBC iPlayer yet (touch wood) even with the recent games but ITVX never seems to work well for me (the opposite of @buksida's problem) which is why I always use FIFA+ for games that are on ITV.