Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Online Ordering - a sign of the times?

Post by HHTel »

You are much too nice, BB.

Most Unusual Guy
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I always buy COD, that way it can be rejected when they deliver If it’s not what you ordered
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm Did they charge your card for the larger quantities though?
COD, and yes full price. Somebody else accepted the package before I realised what was happening. When I order COD, I leave monies in a prominent place to enable anybody to receive if I'm not about. Until these 'Covid shortage' items, I've never had a problem, so was confident the order would be correct.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Several articles from western countries about how many of the stores that have been closed down by govt orders and must remain closed for several weeks, if not months, may never re-open. Convid along with on-line ordering may have changed High Street shopping for ever. Many, many monster shopping centers in the Us have closed, this trend may also continue. As for Thailand, what do you think??
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

As for Thailand, what do you think??

That won't happen until Thailand has better online shopping. As per BB, 'You can't always get what you want." Also, the malls are a hangout for young people. I can see some of them closing and there will be only the Paragon type malls left. Also the US malls are spread out over several acres, whereas the Thai malls are all contained in one building so that makes it easier to shop without walking for miles (km.)
Caveat: just an opinion, no need for virulence. (Not referring to you Oakdale)
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Payment for product/sending sold online

Post by Hahuahin »

:oops: Maybe a dumb question but I'm not familiar with this things here so how to arrange to recieve payment/send a product sold online with EMS to Bangkok and make sure both the sending and product are paid in advance. (Buyer accept price)

hahuahin
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Payment for product/sending sold online

Post by Nereus »

Hahuahin wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:17 am :oops: Maybe a dumb question but I'm not familiar with this things here so how to arrange to recieve payment/send a product sold online with EMS to Bangkok and make sure both the sending and product are paid in advance. (Buyer accept price) hahuahin
Thailand Post have a reliable COD service. Take the parcel to the big post office out near the airport, preferably with a Thai speaker. You will need the buyers complete details including a phone number.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Kerry Express is also good with COD, they charge 3% of what is collected. Don't know how this compares to Thai Post charges.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Okay.....hmm well :oops: COD I can Google :)
hahuahin
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpUIjll7AM.jpg
phpUIjll7AM.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

E-commerce has local operators on edge
E-commerce titans Lazada and Shopee, which have splurged on spending, racking up some 20 billion baht in losses the past five years, are unsettling local distributors, dealers and modern trade operators that are losing revenue to these e-marketplace giants, says a pundit.

Pawoot Pongvitayapanu, founder of local e-commerce platform Tarad.com, said it is imperative for local brands to collect customer data to gain insight and engage in customer relations management (CRM) as a way to bolster customer loyalty.

He was speaking on a recent podcast on Facebook page "eight and a half sentences", which focuses on business issues.

"Thailand's e-commerce industry is dominated by two major e-marketplaces: Lazada and Shopee," said Mr Pawoot.

Lazada is owned by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, while Shopee is a Singapore-based e-commerce site under Sea Group.

Citing Credon.co, which engages in business analysis, including for Lazada and Shopee, Mr Pawoot said Shopee saw an accumulated loss of 10.8 billion baht from 2016-19, while Lazada racked up 10.9 billion in losses from 2017-20.

"This shows high expenses shouldered by the two platforms, including price subsidy, promotion, spending on TV ads and celebrities, and even free delivery," said Mr Pawoot. This spending is aimed at attracting Thais to online shopping, he said.

The giant e-marketplaces also encourage brands to engage with their customers on their platforms by opening online shops on Shopee Mall and LazMall.

"This direct-to-customer trend mainly focuses on fast-moving consumer goods, while the platforms eliminate the role of modern trade, dealers and offline traditional stores," Mr Pawoot said.

Brands pay a commission fee, also known as gross profit (GP) fee, for e-marketplaces at a lower rate than for modern trade, and they can leverage the lower expense for promotional campaigns, he said.

Within the next 2-3 years, these giant platforms would reduce subsidies to raise profits and embark on a series of new business models, said Mr Pawoot. For example, they might adopt the Amazon Prime model, which offers a subscription-based service for free delivery.

Lazada has booked 10 billion baht in revenue so far this year. The platform's gross merchandise value is expected to have reached 100 billion baht, assuming a 10% GP rate of the company's revenue is applied, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... rs-on-edge
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

New panel to protect online shoppers
The Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (MDES) has set up a committee to tackle problems arising from online transactions.

The committee comprising three representatives from the MDES and 18 from various agencies will help victims of fraud related to online shopping, said Saree Aongsomwang, secretary-general of the Thailand Consumer Council (TCC).

"The committee will tackle and prevent problems, handle consumers' complaints and gather information to come up with guidelines," Ms Saree said.

"This is an important step forward for various agencies to work together to protect consumers from online fraud."

Committee members include various agencies including the TCC, the Royal Thai Police's Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau, the Technology Crime Suppression Division, the Police Cyber Task Force, and the Consumer Protection Division.

Others are drawn from the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, the Food and Drug Administration, the Department of Intellectual Property, the Bank of Thailand, the Foundation for Consumers, and the Electronic Transactions Development Agency.

Ms Saree said after the committee was set up, the TCC will focus on achieving results to safeguard consumers.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... e-shoppers

They should set up a panel to tackle Facebook as that is the source of most online shopping scams.

11.11 today what are we buying?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Online shopping disputes

The civil court has established a new division to supervise online purchase issues, allowing customers to file their complaints online without the need for a lawyer or paying additional fees from today 27 January.

According to a spokesperson for the Office of the Judiciary, Sorawit Limparangsi, the launch date was issued by Supreme Court judge Phat Vibhumrapi, who is temporarily serving as the Civil Court chief. The division's establishment was published in the Royal Gazette last month in order to address the growing number of complaints about internet shopping disputes and online fraud.

The spokesperson added that the court of justice will also sign a memorandum of understanding with agencies such as the Office of the Consumer Protection Board, the Electronic Transactions Development Agency, the Food and Drug Administration, the Legal Execution Department, the Royal Thai Police, and the Thailand Consumers Council in order to implement new policies with the common goal of protecting consumer rights for online shopping.

Consumers who have problems with online purchases, such as online fraud, receiving damaged goods, or delayed deliveries can now file complaints with the division through the Civil Court's website at https://efiling3.coj.go.th.

#Thailand #Onlineshopping #CivilCourt

Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Catching up with this thread I noticed the comments about Lazada and Shopee losing huge amounts of money. While I cannot understand how they can absorb these losses they do not surprise me. There have been a number of posts where customers have been scammed but get refund. This recently happened to me and I got a refund so have not lost out but strongly suspect Lazada may have. When a seller is paid for a product is their account credited immediately or do they have to wait for a fixed period. Even though I raised the issue immediately it was about three weeks between payment and refund. These scammers generally don’t have a business name, just a series of letters and I would guess would shift any funds received into another account quite quickly. They are not stupid and I was getting a response at the last minute through the process which gave them extra time.
This was an isolated case and I have purchased numerous items online lately all without any problems. Delivery has been prompt and prices are competitive. I tend to use Lazada as I find it easier than Shopee although the latter can offer cheaper prices.
buksida

Post by buksida »

There was a report somewhere that said around 80% of the complaints regarding online shopping fraud and disputes were regarding Facebook.

Edit: here it is viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28245&start=401