Turkey availability in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Turkey availability in Hua Hin

Post by hhinner »

Saw this on the door of AP Inter foods on the khlong road yesterday. Don't know whether it's for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
IMG_20210919_102507.jpg
(422.56 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

Makro HH didn't have any local turkeys when I last checked, but for those that don't want to take out a mortgage for an imported one, Makro in Prachuap has them.

We usually do a leg of lamb for Crimbo, but Makro HH didn't have any of those either. Looks like its losing its status as the store that has it all!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:14 am Makro HH didn't have any local turkeys when I last checked, but for those that don't want to take out a mortgage for an imported one, Makro in Prachuap has them.

We usually do a leg of lamb for Crimbo, but Makro HH didn't have any of those either. Looks like its losing its status as the store that has it all!
Traditional meat cuts in the HH area are very difficult to source (and/or incredibly expensive) if not entirely unavailable. Having said that, one day last week I saw two turkeys wandering in the street near our house, but haven’t seen them since - maybe they’re in somebody’s freezer waiting for the 25th?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The one time I saw local turkeys being delivered to a restaurant, they were so skinny that you could turn the turkey over and use the breastbone to carve one of the other turkeys. They were returned to the supplier and substituted for chicken which had more meat than the turkeys.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I bought a Thai turkey from Makro about three or four years ago when Butterball were not available, but never again - as HHTel said, very little meat on it and very chewy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'm no turkey snob, but the one we had last year wasn't bad - it certainly beats spending a hundred dollars on an import, and the savings can go towards some lamb and beef to mix up the roast.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This is our Turkey substitute these days - relatively cheap and very tasty!!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk