Turkey availability in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Turkey availability in Hua Hin

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:Macro also has both, frozen ones are 310 baht a kilo, you'll have to ask for them if none on display.
Is the frozen uncooked one a Thai turkey - if so I bought one last year and I vowed never to buy one again - not much meat and little flavour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes they are. I can't justify spending a hundred quid on an imported one!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’d agree with that - maybe a nice pig piece of pork instead?

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:40 am I’d agree with that - maybe a nice pig piece of pork instead?
I can certainly recommend Hua Hin Ham and Bacon for that. Absolutely stunning rolled loin of pork completely covered in crackling and cooked to perfection for you, with all the trimmings.

Sadly I will be away this year, but will still be ordering various delights to last me into the new year.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Maybe a good time to bump this and ask about availability.

Last time I was in Makro (about 2 weeks ago) they only had pre-cooked ones which are not what we want. Also can't justify an imported one which costs more than most people's monthly rent.

Last year we bought a local frozen turkey which was reasonably priced and tasted fine, are they available this year?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Beat me to it - I was just about to ask the same thing.
buksida

Post by buksida »

After a little research and the overwhelming responses here, it looks like turkey is off the menu this Christmas!

AP has also confirmed they're sold out and there are none in Makro. You would have thunk with so few foreigners here there would be less demand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nany's had butterball turkeys (cooked of course because of the ban) but they've probably sold out now. Worth checking.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Makro had pre-cooked ones, didn't want a cooked one.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You can only get pre-cooked imported turkeys. I think that ban on uncooked turkeys has been around for the last 5 or 6 years.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Didn't want an imported one either, was after the frozen local turkeys which were available last year and you didn't need to take out a bank loan to buy one!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Tried the local ones and I found you could carve a joint with the breast of a Thai turkey. Very little meat. Maybe I was unlucky but I've heard similar comments from others.
buksida

Post by buksida »

While not the same as an imported one, we didn't find them that bad - either way, doesn't appear that you can buy them this year so its a leg of lamb instead.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We tried a Thai Turkey 2 years ago and I wasn’t very impressed - very little breast meat compared to the normal (hormone feed probably) ones we used to get and a bit tough. Last year we had a big piece of pork and plan to have the same this year.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

All the turkeys are now in government positions, gobbling up all they can.