Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Post by Big Boy »

:lach: TIT
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

I've been eagerly following the dual track and high speed rail projects. Seems the dual track project has made significant progress on the southern line and on the northeastern line from Jira Junction (Korat) to Nong Khai.

The Isaan bottleneck is in Korat for a couple of reasons.

The railway runs about 500 meters from my house in Korat. Construction on the high speed rail commenced over a year ago and seems to have stopped. Why, because so many people objected to having non-elevated track in this area and having either underpasses or those massive u-turn style overpasses at every crossing. The government has reportedly given in and will elevate an additional 8K of track in this area. Of course, a huge budget increase will ensue and the contractor will be given an additional 32 months to complete the project.

Another trouble spot is the highway overpass bridge in the vicinity of the Sima Thani hotel. The plan has always been to demolish the highway bridge so that both the dual track and high speed track can be elevated over the grade level Mittraphap Highway. Trouble is, the geography and development is such in that area that it will be nearly impossible to do the demolition and reconstruction without causing massive traffic havoc. Nothing has been started yet.

I predict that neither the dual track nor high speed rail will make it anywhere near Korat within the next five or ten years.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has given a glimpse of the new train carriages, which are earmarked for use to a number of destinations, including Hua Hin.

SRT governor Nirut Maneephan said the four-bogey train may be used for trips from Bangkok to places like Sai Yok Falls in Kanchanaburi, Hua Hin or the Pasak Dam in Lopburi.

“SRT hopes the KIHA 183 trains will play a big part in promoting tourism in Thailand,” he said.

“They will offer tourists a brand new experience.”

The 17 second-hand diesel KIHA 183 locomotive trains were donated by the Japanese Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido) back in December 2021.
Attachments
E59B764D-FE85-4DB2-8BEE-F5541287CA6A.jpeg
E59B764D-FE85-4DB2-8BEE-F5541287CA6A.jpeg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 909 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Very handsome train. Not sure what to call the style except purely Japanese. Let's see what gets hit first at an unmarked crossing to ruin that nice paint job? :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has given a glimpse of the new train carriages, which are earmarked for use to a number of destinations, including Hua Hin.
I thought that I posted about these, but evidently not:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/srt-starts ... ing-stock/

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus ... l/40019799

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/sp ... -new-again
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:36 pm Very handsome train. Not sure what to call the style except purely Japanese. Let's see what gets hit first at an unmarked crossing to ruin that nice paint job? :shock:
It does seem to be part of the dual track project to get rid of the road crossings, certainly around this area they've built a lot of overpasses and even pedestrian bridges.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The road crossings will still exist in the centre e.g. Sois 70, 88 & 94.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Even where they do build overpasses, I doubt that it will take too much to bypass them.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:01 pm The road crossings will still exist in the centre e.g. Sois 70, 88 & 94.
Isn't the dual track above that on the elevated station?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but the road crossings will still exist for special excursions and freight. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I would guess 75% of the times I get stopped, it is by freight. The freight line is also being extended to double track at ground level.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:52 pm Yes, but the road crossings will still exist for special excursions and freight. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I would guess 75% of the times I get stopped, it is by freight. The freight line is also being extended to double track at ground level.
Ok but I want to be on a train from Bangkok if they can make it fast and reliable enough.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Me too :thumb:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

In the meantime, could they clean up the mess at the soi 68 crossing?
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:52 pm Yes, but the road crossings will still exist for special excursions and freight. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I would guess 75% of the times I get stopped, it is by freight. The freight line is also being extended to double track at ground level.
So this means that they will have to maintain two double track lines; one for passenger trains that will partially elevated and have no grade crossings and another for freight and excursions that will be at grade level and still have grade crossings.

This makes little sense to me, but, what else is new.

Where did you learn about this? I'd love to read more about the logic ( :roll: ) behind the decision making.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It has been the plan through Hua Hin since the beginning. Here is one of the original artist impressions:

railway-station2.png
railway-station2.png (72.18 KiB) Viewed 664 times

Additionally, somebody makes a monthly drone video showing the progress. Here is the latest video - you will see when the track elevates, a line continues at ground level, and that track is being extended to dual track.

Points 48; Position 20