The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Re: Internet Privacy Error

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi Guys, :thumb:

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. :)

Unfortunately I won't have time today to try and sort it out, but hopefully tomorrow.

HHTel is spot on with picture he put up, that is exactly the message I am getting.

My internet is 3BB and my browser is Chrome, but there is Avast on there somewhere .... :?

I was also using a VPN and that's the same as I've been doing for ages, so I think Petec might be right with perhaps there's been a browser update recently?

Anyways thanks again and hopefully tomorrow I'll get it sorted out.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

convert photos to digital?

Post by LolaBeltran »

This seems an impossible task with the programs and equipment I have available. I need to convert 20 actual photos (of the printed on glossy paper variety) to digital format in order to edit them on my pc using my AC/DC program. My printer (with some difficulty and a lot of patience) produces inaccessible PDF files. Useless for my purpose which is to create a Facebook album.
Is there any place in HH town that will do this for me for a reasonable fee?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: convert photos to digital?

Post by 404cameljockey »

LolaBeltran wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:22 pm This seems an impossible task with the programs and equipment I have available. I need to convert 20 actual photos (of the printed on glossy paper variety) to digital format in order to edit them on my pc using my AC/DC program. My printer (with some difficulty and a lot of patience) produces inaccessible PDF files. Useless for my purpose which is to create a Facebook album.
Is there any place in HH town that will do this for me for a reasonable fee?
I'm sure there are many places that will scan your pics and give you a disk with image files (raw or jpg or whetever you want), but do you mean you're using your printer, surely you mean your scanner?

Most scanner software gives you output options, DPI options, etc. If you dont have a scanner and may want one again in the future, you can buy a flatbed scanner fairly cheaply if you're not looking for very high resolution images.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by LolaBeltran »

Yes it is a printer/scanner. A Brother DCP 300. But I wrestled with the thing for an hour yesterday and could not get anything.
Ok Tried it again and somehow hit the right button! ( scan to image) Success! However, it appears on my desktop after quite a few minutes . . very slow. Thats what got me.

Thanks for your encouragement!! And so glad to find I can do it myself.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

LolaBeltran wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:39 pm Yes it is a printer/scanner. A Brother DCP 300. But I wrestled with the thing for an hour yesterday and could not get anything.
Ok Tried it again and somehow hit the right button! ( scan to image) Success! However, it appears on my desktop after quite a few minutes . . very slow. Thats what got me.

Thanks for your encouragement!! And so glad to find I can do it myself.
You're very welcome.

Reasons for slow image compiling can be many. You could start with reinstalling the Brother printer software, or first at least check that the driver is the latest version (I won't hold your hand on that but you can see many explanations on the web). Or try another scanning programme (even just try the free Windows Scan, downloadable from the Windows Store). Or your PC may have memory issues, hard drive issues (not enough space, fragmented drive, etc.), or maybe not enough RAM for fast processing.

But at least you can (slowly) get what you need now!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I did have a look, but couldn't find what I was looking for exactly, so apologies if this is on the Thread (or another) somewhere.

I seem to remember that there was an (Google?) App where you could submit a photo and the App would tell you what/where it was. For example, I've a few (old) foreign banknotes acquired during my travels over the years, which I just can't identify (age, alcohol, LHG Stress....). Anywho, if anyone has a clue what I'm talking about, any info/advice would be much appreciated. Ta muchly in advance :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you go into Google, an option in the top right hand corner should be images. Take a photo of the banknote, and uplod it into Google Images - the result should be instantaneous.

[Edit] I think the app is Google Lens.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:31 pm If you go into Google, an option in the top right hand corner should be images. Take a photo of the banknote, and uplod it into Google Images - the result should be instantaneous.

Cheers BB, I'll give it a go! :bow:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:07 am
Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:31 pm If you go into Google, an option in the top right hand corner should be images. Take a photo of the banknote, and uplod it into Google Images - the result should be instantaneous.

Cheers BB, I'll give it a go! :bow:
Spot on BB! Tested it on a few banknotes that I knew - no issues. A couple of the "Old Notes" confused it, but otherwise has been great - I've not tried it on photo's of Forum members yet!! :wink: :D

Of course as a "Free App", it tries to point you towards Ebay et al to purchase the note (in my case)... But can't complain!

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb:

Somebody may come up with a better app yet.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Now I'm on a roll..

Some time ago, there was a "fix" shall we say to enable you to watch a fair few (Pay-Per-View) programmes through an Android TV Box/Player. This is now quite a way out of date, and I'm just wondering whether there is an "update" or is this a thing of the past?

buksida

Post by buksida »

This all depends on what apps you're running on the box. I've tested a lot of them recently and found they fall into two categories:

1) Subscription fees demanded - IPTV is being pushed now, but you have to pay for it
2) So full of ads, popups, malware, and shite that they're unusable and unwatchable

I started a thread here on it but there were no responses: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40992

I gave up and stick to downloading stuff from torrents.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Not a question, but a brief anecdote. Please move if appropriate.

I was online 'chatting' with a TalkTalk advisor called Nonsikelelo.
Me: I just want to check you are aware I have closed my account and TalkTalk is no longer my ISP.
Her: If I may ask, what is ISP?
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Right, I think this qualifies. I am selling my car, which has a CD player and replacing it with a more modern one that doesn't.

How can I play my music in my new car?

As Manual would say, 'I know nothing'!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

caller wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:29 pm Right, I think this qualifies. I am selling my car, which has a CD player and replacing it with a more modern one that doesn't.

How can I play my music in my new car?

As Manual would say, 'I know nothing'!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Does the "New Car" have a USB Port? If so, it should be possible to put music on a memory stick and play through that.

[EDIT] Or use something like this:-