Have Towel Will Travel?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Have Towel Will Travel?

Post by PeteC »

It happened again this weekend. Guests from Bangkok arrived, husband, wife, two kids and Granny. One entire large suitecase was filled with bath towels that they brought, not one towel each, but two as they were staying two days.

In all these years I have yet to get a clear and definitive answer from any Thai WHY Thai's think it is necessary to bring their own towels when visiting someone's house as an overnight guest. I could add in my own thoughts as to why which range from the rude to the deranged, so I won't.

If those with Thai families have the answer please let me/us know. Pete
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Hi Peter.
I asked my wife about this, and she told me that this was a normal thing to do for people from Isaan.
She said they know they will get a blanket for the night by the host, but certainly not a towel as they never have any spare of that.
Therefor they always bring their own towel.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That makes sense. Many scholars claim Isaan to be the cradle of Thai civilization so perhaps customs have spread everywhere. All of these guests of mine, present and past, are all Central, Bangkok and Eastern Seaboard Thai born and raised. Most haven't even visited Isaan in their lives.

In a way, it is a nice gesture as saves laundry. However, being Western the host (me) likes to be sure to provide and please all guests and this custom makes me twitch a bit. Thanks Norseman. :thumb: Pete
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hmmm. Got me thinking. I've noticed that if we're going to stay at a hotel somewhere, my wife does not pack towels, but if we're going to her mother's place, she does. I didn't think about it before, but when her sister comes to stay over with the husband and the kid, I think they bring their own too :roll:

I think they consider it something very personal and not something to be shared. I mean, I won't like to share my toothbrush, would you? :wink: :roll: :mrgreen:
วินเชนท์
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

My wife (who is Thai but does not come from Issan) insists that we all have our own towels at home. Thai visitors are expected to come with there own towels. This does not apply to Hotels as she expects them to provide towels. If we are visiting friends she always packs our own towels.
Dara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dara »

It's pretty standard for Thais to pack their own towels when they are guests at someone else's house. For the seashore, usually one for the beach, one for the bath. The host family can let them know that there are enough guest towels available so that they wouldn't have to bring their own. However, some people just like to use their own no matter what - especially the head/face towel - it's not exactly a hygeine thing, but some Thais don't mix their towels for head/face and the one for the rest of the body.......
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

When we visit from the States, we usuallly bring one of two suitcases full of towels for gifts for the family. Big, fluffy, cotton towels that you can't get in Thailand.

I never thought much about it, but they go over big with my wife's familly.