BDM or at least the "D" or the Death part of it

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Elaine
Amateur
Amateur

BDM or at least the "D" or the Death part of it

Post by Elaine »

Being at an age when one starts thinking of such things, and having long decided that I will stay in Hua Hin until I am deceased... a couple of questions come to mind.

I am not a Buddhist but I desire a simple local cremation at a local Temple. I have been told
some Temples require a fee and others just asks for donations.

Can someone suggest some small local Temple and the procedure.... and I will pass on my wishes to my son.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: BDM or at least the "D" or the Death part of it

Post by hhfarang »

That's a great question, as I want the same. I don't want a big deal with a lot of people me and my wife barely know at the big Wat in Hua Hin. I just want a simple family funeral someplace quiet that won't cost my missus a bunch of baht.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Elaine
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elaine »

There appears to be an relunctance to discuss this subject. Come on members, this is a topic that must be faced by all at some time. If not by you, but by your family.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The number of funerals I have been to here is now in double figures. Most temples will do it, you just need to decide the number of days 'in state', usually it is three but us farangs like to get things over with quicker. The service will need paying for so make sure you have provisions for that. There are also a lot of arrangements such as food and gifts for the monks, flowers, etc.

Just pick a temple local to you or one you feel comfortable with, close Thai friends/relations usually make the arrangements after the 'event'.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Sorry I can't be of much help, but as others have pointed out, I think most temples can sort out the issue when the time comes. Personally I couldn't care less what they do with my body, but I know many people feel otherwise. The only instructions I've given my other half is that I do NOT want my ashes to remain at a temple. They must either be cast into the sea, or just thrown somewhere in the bush.

Anyway, just ask around at any local temples.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

buksida wrote:The number of funerals I have been to here is now in double figures. Most temples will do it, you just need to decide the number of days 'in state', usually it is three but us farangs like to get things over with quicker. The service will need paying for so make sure you have provisions for that. There are also a lot of arrangements such as food and gifts for the monks, flowers, etc.

Just pick a temple local to you or one you feel comfortable with, close Thai friends/relations usually make the arrangements after the 'event'.
Buksi, I join with you on most of what you stated... And as you get older, one seems to attend more funerals.

I am sure that you and others have noticed that envelopes containing funds are generally handed to the family by those in attendance.. but I have never been able to work out a gift verus cost figure.

One thing for sure I have given definate instructions not to make use of the
Hua Hin Wat (that is is unless you want further education as I have been told that most of the chimney "smoke" is blown over the adjoining school).