Buying a small hatchback

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Buying a small hatchback

Post by Big Boy »

I've spent most of today taking a couple of friends around various car dealerships in search of a new small hatchback.

Dealerships visited included Proton, Chevrolet, Honda, Mazda, Toyota and Nissan.

The first thing that struck me after my debarcle in buying a new truck 12 months ago was that all but one dealership offered to discount the vehicle i.e. sell it for considerably less than the listed price. When asked, 'most' dealers were also prepared to throw in extras to secure a sale.

However, like me 12 months ago, my friends were expecting to purchase one of Thailand's top brands - unfortunately, there were no suitable cars in the showroom, and there wouldn't be for at least 2 months. They did show my friends a photo of a car on their phone, and if a deposit was put down today, they could deliver by end October :?

One 'reputedly top class' dealer would not throw in any extras, and insisted basics such as a rear windscreen wiper and a rear parcel shelf would cost extra.

The other 4 dealers were first class in their efforts.

3 of the dealers could deliver next week however, only 2 of the vehicles had passenger air bags, so this helped my friends narrow down the search.

My friend's car will be delivered to their condo on Monday - an enjoyable, eye opening experience.

[Edit] Omitted word inserted (in red)
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a small hatchback

Post by Dannie Boy »

So are you going to tell us what they need up buying?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they bought a Mazda Sports 2, or at least that's what I think it was called.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:......One 'reputedly top class' dealer would not throw in any extras, and insisted basics such as a rear windscreen wiper and a rear parcel shelf would cost extra.......
It's helpful to know about this issue as well. Was it a dealer being obnoxious, or manufacturer general policy perhaps? If you say it was Honda or Toyota I would be surprised. if Ford, Mitsu or Chevy not much surprise. Pete :cheers:

EDIT:....but due to possible apprehension that one has to deal with that dealer....silence is an appropriate answer. :wink:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, would be interesting to know which ones would play ball and which ones didn't want to know.

When we bought our car it was Mitsubishi that made the most effort and even managed to sell the old bus I was driving at the time, hence they sold a car.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was Honda. The salesperson was being very helpful, and was very pleasant. I took my friends there after the excellent reports on this forum, and fantastic reports of after sales service. The salesperson did nothing to make me feel those reports were wrong.

However, a rear parcel shelf as an extra? What was probably one of the better core products, lost all credibility. There was no way it would be included to secure a sale.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:Yes, would be interesting to know which ones would play ball and which ones didn't want to know.

When we bought our car it was Mitsubishi that made the most effort and even managed to sell the old bus I was driving at the time, hence they sold a car.
Compared to buying a truck last year, every dealership visited was a pleasure. However, I guess it is different as an observer, and somebody else's money is being spent.

As I said above, Honda were the only ones who wouldn't shift on the issue of extras, or a discount.

Toyota were the one who couldn't show a Yaris - wanted my friends to buy the car based on a photo on the salesperson's phone. Having said that, this was probably the nicest car salesperson I've ever encountered. Very helpful, and fully understood why my friends could not buy based on a photo. My friends thought they were only paying lip service to the other dealerships. It's such a shame that Toyota let their sales team down like this because I also thought the same when looking at trucks, and had similar treatment last year (without the nice sales person).

Proton was cheap, good, and had some nice extras, but there was a longer lead time.

Chevrolet was a good deal, but only one airbag.

Nissan almost got it, but were let down because the boss was on an extended lunch. The salesperson was not empowered to offer a discount. It really was a toss up between Mazda and Nissan, but by the time the Nissan offer of discount was phoned through my friends had decided to go with the Mazda, which IMHO was the more practical vehicle anyway.

All of the salespersons encountered yesterday were very helpful. It was just a shame that some didn't have the empowerment or the support to do their jobs better.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just out of interest BB, didn't the Ford Fiesta appear on the short list (which gets good reviews) or does your aversion to the Ford dealer cover cars as well as pickups?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, the Fiesta seems to be very popular in Thailand judging by the number you see on the road. Do they sell small diesels there? I rented a Fiesta diesel in Belgium last year and it was a great little car and incredibly economical.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Despite my personal problems with Ford, I would have gladly taken my friends there yesterday. However (I don't know if my constant moaning has influenced them), they did not want to go to Ford - they were very definite about that.

I literally went where my friends wanted to go yesterday - I was little more than an interested spectator.

Points 48; Position 20
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

In my opinion,the Mazda 2 is easily the best small hatchback to buy.....very well made,economical with fuel and fun to drive.
Superior to the Toyota Yaris,Honda Jazz and Brio and Nissan March in every way.
Ford Fiesta.....wouldnt entertain it.....looks good,initially, but wears out easily and cheap interior.
They have made a good choice in the Mazda 2.....only thing is Mazda's dont retain their value in Thailand,only Toyota and Honda do.....crazy really when Mazda is a superior product.
Still,hopefully,they wont have to worry about that for a few years..... :wink:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The only thing that puts me off small cars in Thailand is the state of the roads, how do they handle the potholes?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What BB says about Honda surprises me. We've bought two in the past and they always gave an option or two for free. I guess it means sales must be very strong for the model in question. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:What BB says about Honda surprises me.
I must admit, after the glowing reports on here, I persuaded my friends to have a look. Honda was not on their radar. I don't think surprise is a strong enough word to describe the reaction when told that a parcel shelf and a rear wiper was considered an extra, and would cost more.

What next? Wheels or an engine?

Seriously, it seems quite an extreme measure to make the base price attractive. Rather than an incentive for my friends, it drove them straight out of the door. If price was key, they would have bought Proton - end of story.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Further to what I've just said, everybody likes to think they are getting something for nothing. Compared to when I bought my truck a year ago (and yes, we also did the tour of the various dealers), most dealers seem to have twigged this, and were prepared to offer incentives (whether or not the base price had been inflated initially to cater for this, I don't know).

In all cases the salesperson had to consult the 'backroom' to approve incentives, which is where Nissan lost out - a little more persuasion while my friends were in the showroom could have secured a sale (I was carred out by this time, watching from the sofa :D ).

Points 48; Position 20