Driving range pains

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I should make it nearer to 10, i play at Lake View at 6am! (Nuts i know). Make sure you do some stretches first and start off with wedges! Will try and make it for sure, will be fun! No Beer Chang for brekkies lomuamart!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Fair enough, JW. I hope I'm allowed a beer afterwards though. Mind you, with the course being owned by Boon Rawd Brewery, I'll only get Singha :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

For the tip you gave me about my grip, JW, I owe you a beer.
Havn't hit the ball so well for ages. Buksida will back me up on that :cheers:
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Anytime pal, it was cool to see you hit it solid, my pleasure. Next wee job is to get Buksi cocking strongly!! Next week i'll hang around for a couple of hours and hit some myself.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Utter shite, cant believe how badly I did today, still I'm not giving up on this, I will hit that ball properly.

Yes I know, before any other wise guy says it .... too much wrist action.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Any of you guys tried the 9 hole course near to the Dolphin Bay Resort?
Rider
Ace
Ace

Re: Driving range pains

Post by Rider »

buksida wrote:Well I finally got round to going to the driving range here yesterday. I traded a golf lesson for a guitar lesson with lomuamart.

Pae Mai didnt open until 10 so we went to Hua Hin behind the railway station. A tray of balls at 30 baht and I was ready to send those little white beasties into orbit.

I managed to hit most of them but they did go off in some strange directions, the straightest shot came off a 7 iron ... about 80-100 yards which aint bad for a virgin. Shame it took 50 odd balls to hit one straight!

Today I ache everywhere and to think I have to do this again next week!
Just started driving range practice too!

I started with the 7 iron as I'm told that thats the best for starters.

I'm up to the 4th Iron now getting about 150 - 160 yards on a 'good' swing. Its damned hard to improve distance I find as the harder you try the more likely it is to mis-hit it!

The monster drivers are entirely different beast!

I've heard about the Suan Son military base having cheap golf but you've got to be a member.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Ive toyed with taking up this golf lark as I have plenty of spare time but am concerned at what ive just read about slow players, people shouting at people and the fact that i'll probably be crap for a long time and so will incur the wrath of many people! :cry:
www.35mmview.com
buksida

Post by buksida »

Randy Cornhole wrote:the fact that i'll probably be crap for a long time and so will incur the wrath of many people! :cry:
Oh I'm with you on that one. I've only been twice but my swing is not a pretty sight at all.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Far better this week :mrgreen:

Was actually hitting a few straight ones and getting a bit of distance. JW, your "goalkeeper" bit worked!

It didnt help that the range was rapidly turned into the Scandinavian Open with hundreds of them turning up, kids, women in skirts that were far too short, noisy buggers ....
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes Buksida,
You were hitting the ball "up em". I reckon all the Scandi's were on Snouss, so going "gabba, gabba, hey" anyway.
I wonder if the pretty lady made it round the course intact?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK. Someone's got to tell the tale.
Picked up by Buksida at 9am today and went for another practise. However, there was a Soul Monsta in the car as well.
So, I did reasonably, but had a bad hangover. Havn't seen Buksida hit the ball consistently so well. He's definitely getting there. I just pity the first course that he plays on.
NOW, Soul Monsta. I must admit I was quite surprised at how well he was hitting it. Not bad at all. However he had a couple of rushs of blood.
The first resulted in my driver being broken. The head travelled further than the ball. The second was even more amazing.
If you're not a golfer, try to imaging hitting a ball with a roof over your head that only extends by a couple of feet. The roof is 15 feet high.
Just how you can get a ball up vertically, so quickly is beyond me. It rattled around a bit and nearly wiped out two others about 10 yards away. They weren't amused, but gave the ball back.
I remember playing with three professions at Lake View years ago. My drive went slighlt left in semi rough. Big tree about 50 yards in front in a direct line to the green. Tried to keep my approach shot low, but hit the middle of the tree trunk and the ball rebounded about 5 yards in front of me. so, try again. Exactly the same. The chances of hitting the tree so accurately twice in a row aren't worth considering. The pros were laughing their heads off on the fairway. "Bet you can't do that a third time" was all the advice I got - and I didn't.
So, I thought that was a good story, but Monsta your shot today takes the buscuit.
I reckon there's a career waiting for you in trick shots. :cheers:
buksida

Mancs and Golf

Post by buksida »

Well well ... this week was interesting. Golf lesson 22, "Mancs and Golf".

While I was proud of my efforts to get 100 yards with an 8 iron after a shaky start, on the next mat was the famous Soul Monster who managed to get the head of lomu’s driver further.

Not only did the decapitated club bounce down the green with gusto but we made the poor chap who worked there run out as golf balls rained down to retrieve it.

Applying scooter physics, Dave's claim to the challenge of fixing it was accepted.

Monster indeed.

Speaking of physics he also managed to defy the laws of it by hitting a ball backwards, into the roof of the range, almost killing two unsuspecting tourists and forcing the ticket girl to barrel roll into the bush in an effort at saving her own life.

Needless to say we had a lot more space after that.

Same again Thursday lads?
buksida

Post by buksida »

You beat me by 4 minutes to that tale ... but it needed to be told!
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Yep guilty on all counts!!!!
But me thinks the yarn has been somewhat exaggerated out of all proportions

At least I can hit the ball Buksida and make it travel further than the trench in front of the tee's and don’t sit down sulking to the fact for 30 minutes “tisâ€
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"