The Surfing Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Surfing Thread

Post by PeteC »

Merry Christmas surfing. :D

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Long video, no sound

Mavericks December 2018 Big Monday

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Extreme surfers catch record waves in Portuguese town

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18010 ... guese-town
c1_3420299.jpg
c1_3420299.jpg (154.74 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
NAZARé (PORTUGAL) - Big wave surfers have been flocking to a formerly sleepy Portuguese fishing town, chasing monster waves that are some of the highest ever surfed.

Earlier this month the news broke that a set of fearsome 20-metre (65-feet) waves were coming to the small town of Nazare on Portugal's Atlantic coast.

The message spread like wildfire and soon extreme surfers and sports fans -- as well as keen photographers -- arrived at the town's Praia de Norte beach.

They gathered on the roof of a red lighthouse, listening to the deafening roar and watching in awe as the waves smashed against the cliffs. From the viewing point you cannot see where the waves end, giving the illusion the colossal walls of water could engulf their audience.

But the masses just missed out on seeing French surfer Justine Dupont have the ride of her life on November 13.

It could be a new surfing world record set by a woman.

"I began riding the wave, I felt I was going faster than usual, and that it was steeper," the 28-year-old surfer tells AFP.

"I had the feeling it was never ending... I could fly away!"

- 'It's mad!' -

The massive wave has not been measured yet, but is expected to be at least 20 metres high.

It will have to exceed the 2018 mark of 20.72 metres set by Brazilian surfer Maya Gabeira, also in Nazare, to become a record.

The verdict, judged by the governing body the World Surf League, will not be given until spring next year.

Dupont has spent four winters chasing the extreme waves in Nazare.

She said the seaside town with a population of 15,000 has become a surf haven over the last few years.

"It's mad!" she said. "Two years ago we went to see the sea by the lighthouse, there were no cars parked -- now, you can't drive."

The monster waves have always crashed at the town's beach, but surfers had previously ignored Portugal and gravitated towards beaches in California and Hawaii.

Nazare was put on the surfing map in 2010 when the town's mayor launched an initiative to attract surfers during the winter.

"We were looking for someone who could develop big wave surfing" said Pedro Pisco, a local sports minister.

He asked for help from Garrett McNamara, who until last year held the world record for the highest wave ever surfed.

- 'Now it's crowded' -

"No surfer considered Portugal a great surfing destination, but I was looking for a 100-foot (30-metre) wave," Hawaiian surfer said.

A Nazare bodyboarder invited McNamara to the town, wanting to find someone who could take on the spectacular waves.

In November 2011, McNamara broke a Guinness World Record after riding a 78-foot (23.77 metre) wave.

Today, at the age of 52, the surfer is considered a "god", said Anne-Marie Sana-Boisson, who owns a market stall in Nazare.

She said the town has changed rapidly over the last four years -- and not necessarily for the better.

"At first there was a few people but now it's crowded."

She said many buildings are being constructed and sold, making it "hard to find houses".

But she admitted the town has become "more dynamic". And, she adds, not everything is closed over winter as it was before.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big wave surfers wrestle with death to feed addiction thrill

Photos and video at link: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/24/spor ... p-spt-intl
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It gets good about 9 minutes in....

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's a good indication of huge surf when the riders have a mini oxygen tank attached to their wet suits! :shock:

Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Thanks for posting Pete, truly exhilarating footage!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Surfing duck: Pet becomes local celebrity at Australian beach :lach:

Video at link.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-55836596
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I grew up in Southern California and lived in Australia and I've never seen waves like that. That's some amazing footage, thanks Pete.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

266465933_10160564639285649_4456721199928321583_n.jpg
(126.21 KiB) Downloaded 1781 times

This is Christmas card material! :D

Manny Rosano salutes Peter Mel as he stands tall in the belly of an absolute monster. This wave earned Mel the “Ride of the Year” in the 2021 Red Bull Big Wave Awards and is considered to be one of the all-time best rides ever completed at Mavericks.

https://www.facebook.com/santacruzwaves
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

@alarcon_cinema is taking big wave videography to a whole new level. His daring drone maneuvers allow us visual access to the most thrilling of

https://fb.watch/ayn2DavLOD/
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by Lost »

Feckin size of that wave!

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

‘Mad Dog’ surfer dies riding giant waves in Nazaré, Portugal

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/06/spor ... index.html (Photos)

Veteran Brazilian surfer Marcio Freire died on Thursday while practising tow-in surfing on the giant waves in Nazaré on the central coast of Portugal, the local maritime authority said.

Support staff on jet-skis managed to get the 47-year-old to the beach, but all attempts to revive him failed.

Freire was one of the three Brazilian surfers who became known as the “Mad Dogs” after conquering the giant wave “Jaws” in Hawaii. They featured in the 2016 documentary Mad Dogs.

Tributes from other surfers poured in on Instagram.

“He surfed all day with a big smile on his face. That’s how I’ll keep him in my memory. Legend,” posted fellow big wave surfer Nic von Rupp.

“Today we lost a great man, a very good friend and a legendary surfer, Marcio Freire. He was such a happy spirit, always with a smile on his face…Rest in peace my friend,” wrote sports photographer Fred Pompermayer.

Nazaré boasts some of the biggest waves in the world. They are magnified by an underwater canyon 5 kilometers (3 miles) deep which ends where the North Atlantic meets the shoreline near the former fishing village.

Hawaiian Garrett McNamara put Nazaré on the map in 2011 when he set a world record for the biggest wave ever surfed at 78 feet (23.77 meters).

Brazilian Rodrigo Koxa bettered McNamara’s mark in 2017, also at Nazaré, and German Sebastian Steudtner broke the record again there in 2020, surfing an 86-feet wave.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Video and photos at link

Surfers take on giant waves as storm hits California

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67845251

The world's best big wave surfers are descending on California to catch the biggest storm swells the US West Coast has seen in years.

Surfers from Brazil, France and Portugal have arrived at Mavericks, a famous wave south of San Francisco, to ride the giant walls of water.

Waves up to 70ft (21 meters) have been ridden, as even larger waves pass by.

Officials have warned onlookers to stay away from the shore after people were injured by huge rogue waves.

Chris Cuvelier, who runs the Maverick Surf Awards competition and can see the rolling swells from his kitchen, told BBC News on Friday that "people have been getting on flights all over the world" to surf the legendary spot this week.

Professional surfers, "especially people that surf Mavericks, they're big wave surfers and many of them are travelling around the globe to go catch big waves", he says.

Famous pros like Kai Lenny, Andrew Cotton, and Lucas Chumbo have all appeared at Mavericks recently - some of them vying to win the prize money on offer from the Maverick Awards.

Filming the ride of their lives in this swell means they can enter into the digital competition for a chance at the as-yet unannounced 2024 prize pool.

JoJo Roper, a San Diego-based pro surfer, loaded up his car after Christmas once he saw the "gigantic" swell in the forecast.

It was the biggest since at least 2007, he says, telling BBC News "it's been a long time since it's been that kind of a day".

Mr Roper, 33, said he was one of the only Californian surfers out there on Thursday, riding the 60-70ft waves.

His friend flew from Hawaii to tow him into the waves on a jet ski.

"It's nice to have it in our territory, and take advantage of some waves close to home rather than travelling to Portugal or where all these other guys come from to chase their waves," he told BBC News.

"They're coming to chase our waves. It's pretty cool. It all comes full circle."

Speaking on Friday, he called Thursday "one of the best days in my lifetime for sure".

On his third wave of the day, he fired into the barrel of a massive collapsing wall of water.

"It was an honour. And just to get barrelled is a whole other realm of victory," he says with a triumphant laugh.

"So I'm pretty happy about it."

Forecasters have issued warnings of more danger ahead after a rogue wave swept pedestrians off their feet and swamped a hotel in Ventura, Santa Cruz.

The National Weather Service (NWS) warned of "extremely dangerous conditions."

"Powerful waves and life-threatening rip currents pose an exceptional risk of ocean drowning and damage to coastal structures."

The NWS said there is "an increased risk for ocean drowning" due to rip currents.

More swells are in the forecast for Mavericks, located near the city of Half Moon Bay.

But only the world's top professionals should consider getting into the ocean during this El Niño-driven weather event.

"Mavericks is kind of the biggest of the big here on the West Coast," Mr Cuvelier said. "But I don't think any beginner or even intermediate surfers should really be surfing anywhere in California (in these conditions)."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

My kids say it's crazy the waves
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.