Petrol station to avoid...if possible

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Petrol station to avoid...if possible

Post by Big Boy »

Last time I filled up, the low fuel light had just come on. My fuel tank is 80 litre capacity. It cost me 2000 Baht, which equates to 66.69 litres. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

However, I will let it run to the low fuel light again, and test your theory at one of the more expensive garages. At the end of the day, there will only be a 20 Baht difference if both are calibrated the same.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As promised, I patiently waited for the low fuel light to come on. That long awaited event happened today. I was about to go to Makro, so I decided to wait until the last station before Makro, which was also PTT.

Mrs BB said fill it up, and we waited, and we waited and we waited. The pumps at this station are so slow, they probably pre-date the Ark. Anyway, eventually the pump assistant stopped it - 2000 Baht (exactly the same as the station over flyover. Only difference here was that I was paying 0.28 Baht/litre more. I received 66.07 litres.

Now we know the pump assistants stop the pumps at the nearest 100 Baht, so my guess is that I was slightly less full (0.62 litres) than when I filled up at the station over the flyover.

IMHO the calibration story is a myth, probably started by the more expensive stations. I will revert to the station just over the flyover whenever possible in the future.

It was a fun test :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

This is ironic, and as a matter of fact the last time we were in Hua Hin in June I was going to post a topic about a very similar thing that happened to me.

I normally hire a car and when returning the car it doesn't have to be returned full, so obviously I put in enough just to get back to their office. I was on empty just when I was passing the Shell station near to Pranburi Tesco Lotus, I asked for 200 baht worth that normally takes this car to just under a quarter. However the needle didn't even move, by this time I was driving back to Hua Hin, so at the next station I did the same, 200 baht, and this time it did take it to quarter tank.

My point is, are some of these petrol stations fiddling the calibrations of the pump gauges, if this can be done. I think we can afford to name and shame some of these outlets.

GN