tyre pump

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

tyre pump

Post by dtaai-maai »

pump.jpg
pump.jpg (5.04 KiB) Viewed 507 times
In the last 6 years or so, we have got through at least 4 assorted hand and foot pumps for bicycle and motorcy. The present one, simliar to the pic above, is "Turbo Cycle Accessories" brand and lasted a little over a year.
Can anyone recommend something that will last?
This is the way
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: tyre pump

Post by usual suspect »

I use a 12v electric pump...thought I was the only person with one of these, but saw a man use one identical on Sat..he plugged it into his cig-lighter socket & away it merrily buzzed.
That got me thinking..are these things available here..? I will ask the man this week & get back to you.
(I junked the cig-lighter plug in favour of 2 'crocodile' clips so I simply pop-up my motorcycle seat, hook 'em up & my cycle tyres etc are done in about a minute, plus my little machine has served me for about 5 yrs now).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they are available - I bought mine in Tesco.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Ive had one of those 12v car tire pumps. Won't last you long as they are not made for a lot of use. I finally purchased a good bike pump at Hua Hin Velo at 900 baht and use it for car tires too. So far has worked great and been put to a lot of use.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Recently went through this experience and as brianks said you are probably better getting a good quality pump from Velo. Two electric pumps and one foot pump from Tesco failed. I ended up getting a foot pump from Watsadu as a family member works there so it will be easy to exchange if necessary. So far so good but would not be surprised if it does not last.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

... or buy a small compressor and pressure gauge
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

We've gone through the same thought process, DM. The only place we can find cycle pumps are in Tescos - they're crap. They last (at best) 6 months before they stop pumping air. Would love to be able to find a good old-fashioned hand pump for the bike (cycle, not motorcycle). It's on our shopping list for our trip to the UK next year.

VS.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

barrys wrote:... or buy a small compressor and pressure gauge
This is my solution also. A little more expensive but after 12 years mine is still as good as new and very useful for so many different tasks. Most used tool in my workshop.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The question of 12 volt pumps has come up previously. If you need a portable pump rather than a mains powered unit, then the type used by the 4x4 clubs are the only one to use. They are available in Bangkok, and maybe the place in Phetchaburi. Cannot recall the cost of them, and they are imported from Australia. In Oz 99% of 4WD vehicles, those that are used for their designed purpose, carry one and they are well proven.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!