Sidecar for motorbike legislation questions

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregga

Sidecar for motorbike legislation questions

Post by Gregga »

Does anyone knows what is the law for the side car for motorbike. like this: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k20/a ... car004.jpg
Does it need to be approved somewhere (local Motor Vehicle Department) also does a rider need a special Driver license for operating it in Thailand. I see these side cars everyday but rarely on Petchkasem - do they stay away from Police checkpoints for some reason?
Another thing is back trailer for motorbike : http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/ ... railer.jpg- what are law restrictions here?
Thanx.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Sidecar for motorbike legislation questions

Post by Ginjaninja »

Gregga,
check out this Post:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22017&start=0
Regarding that actual laws, I'm really not sure but most laws are ignored most of the time....
:)
GN.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ginjaninja wrote:Gregga,
check out this Post:
Regarding that actual laws, I'm really not sure but most laws are ignored most of the time....
GN.
Especially if you're Thai, not so sure that a farang will get the same "turning of a blind eye" by the BIB?
Gregga

Post by Gregga »

check out this Post:
GN.
Cool Thanx I read it trough but. I do want to get it and register and drive safe, Is it possible? do you guys know?
And what about back trailer same applies to it or it different anyone knows?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This was a statement issued by the relevant dept at the ministry of transport:-

“The Department of Land Transport will not register motorbikes fitted with sidecars or any attachments if the sidecar and/or attachments are not made by the original manufacturer or do not pass Department of Land Transport safety standards.

We do not allow the registration of rot salaeng (motorcycles with privately-made sidecar trays commonly used for transporting goods or people) because they are not safe for the driver or passengers.

However, if the sidecar confirms to our safety standards – and passes an inspection by our engineers – then we will allow it to be registered.”

Of course, if it can't be registered then it can't be insured and is therefore illegal!!

Having said that, there are hundreds of them that seem to travel freely and without hindrance.
Gregga

Post by Gregga »

HHTel wrote: However, if the sidecar confirms to our safety standards – and passes an inspection by our engineers – then we will allow it to be registered.”
Thank you for the answer mate!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Someone on here has a sidecar.....perhaps DTM as remember a photo of his dogs standing on one. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Gregga wrote:
check out this Post:
GN.
Cool Thanx I read it trough but. I do want to get it and register and drive safe, Is it possible? do you guys know?
Like most questions that crop up these days, this has been covered before and using the Search function often produces the answers you need. Look here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20105&hilit=sidecar&start=0

With regards to the OP, the bottom line is that driving safely is largely up to you. I'm assuming that what you really want is to be road legal and properly insured, etc., in which case I'd have to say, without meaning any offence at all, that you're probably in the wrong country.

The above link explains why we have ours - it gets used occasionally, early mornings and out of town.
Takiap uses his as more of an all-purpose run-around and shopping carrier, and as far as I know he has no problems with the police. I've seen several similar set-ups driven in town by farang recently, and I assume they wouldn't be doing this if they were getting stopped every time they went out.

If you want to do this, I think you're going to have to accept that it will fall into a grey legal area. :cheers:
This is the way