The Wine Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
nickswift

The Wine Thread

Post by nickswift »

Any recommend a not too expensive red / white wine please? My mum is coming over and she likes a couple of glasses every night - I was going to suggest to her to bring a box of decent wine in her case, btu thought i'd ask here if there are any affordable and tasty wines around and where?

I go to Macro now and again and see a lot in there, but not sure which is good as I am more of a local beer drinker myself.

I think she likes full bodied reds
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Wine

Post by Ginjaninja »

Nick,
you'll have to buy a few 'Monsoon Valley' reds for your old dear... it's the local Hua Hin wine and tastes not too bad.
You can purchase in the shop behind Starbucks at Market Village but I don't think it's that cheap. I can't recall seeing elsewhere but worth a look.
The guy working at 'The Wine Shop' next to the Grand market plaza place will point you in the direction of a good wine.
Having your mother take a bottle or two from the departures dutyfree will save you some cash most certainly.

http://www.monsoonvalleywine.com/en/our_winery.html

:cheers:
GN.
nickswift

Post by nickswift »

thanks for the superfast reply GN.

I never thought about the duty free from departures - think I might tell her to pick up what she can from there first although I reckon she'll get through a few bottles in 3 weeks.... 3 long weeks - no, no, it will be great fun.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I hear ya Nick..... :)
Attachments
Russian Roulette.gif
Russian Roulette.gif (36.17 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

If your mum's going to be over here for a few weeks, it might be worth buying a box of the Mont Clair red from Macro. It's not the best wine in the world, but you can keep it in the fridge and she can have a tipple when she feels like it. I find the heavy wines here, especially with the hot climate, can be a bit too heavy. A lighter wine is far better.

VS
PS: The Thai wines are over-priced and, in my opinion, of inferior quality to even the cheapest imported wines.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Vital Spark wrote:If your mum's going to be over here for a few weeks, it might be worth buying a box of the Mont Clair red from Macro. It's not the best wine in the world, but you can keep it in the fridge and she can have a tipple when she feels like it. I find the heavy wines here, especially with the hot climate, can be a bit too heavy. A lighter wine is far better.

VS
PS: The Thai wines are over-priced and, in my opinion, of inferior quality to even the cheapest imported wines.
Crazy as it my sound I bought monsoon wine in a Thai restaurant in Whitby cheaper than Hua Hin !!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'd avoid the Mont Clair wines, if I were you. I used to drink it, but often found it just wouldn't go down, and it turns out it's not wine at all, just fruit juice with added alcohol. I think I've got that right.

A much better option for red wine drinkers on a budget is a boxed Aussie red whose name escapes me (I think it begins with W and ends with '-oo'), but I'm sure someone will remember.
This is the way
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Jimberoo DM ?

About 850 baht for a 4.5 litre box in Makro. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

dtaai-maai wrote:I'd avoid the Mont Clair wines, if I were you. I used to drink it, but often found it just wouldn't go down, and it turns out it's not wine at all, just fruit juice with added alcohol. I think I've got that right.

A much better option for red wine drinkers on a budget is a boxed Aussie red whose name escapes me (I think it begins with W and ends with '-oo'), but I'm sure someone will remember.
I buy Jimberoo - is that the one?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

That's it! :cheers:
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'd avoid the Mont Clair wines, if I were you. I used to drink it, but often found it just wouldn't go down, and it turns out it's not wine at all, just fruit juice with added alcohol. I think I've got that right.
I was talking boxed wines with Barry a few days ago and he verified that. He said they import large containers of grape juice and then just add alcohol. He also recommended a very good boxed wine (not the one you mentioned) in the same general price range but my Mont Clair addled brain can't remember the name at the moment! :banghead:

Maybe he'll read this and post his recommendations so that whenever I forget they'll be on here for future reference. :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

If you're talking about Barry the Boat, that's where I get all my wine info from (including the Jimberoo recommendation). Always consult an expert... :wink: :laugh:
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

.........................He said they import large containers of grape juice and then just add alcohol.
It has to asked just what type of "alcohol" is being added? :shock:
As I have posted before, it never ceases to amaze me how some of these people dream up ways of beating the system! I do not really know, but I am willing to bet that there is nil, or very little, import duty on grape juice! And the "alcohol" ? Amazing Thailand!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Leave all or some clothes at home and buy some good wine in boxes you like and know.
The money you save on the wine you can buy new clothes wich many lady will do anyway.
Enjoy your holidays with your mom.
nickswift

Post by nickswift »

Thanks for the replies everyone - will get her to bring a box of decent stuff she likes, stay away from montclair and look for jimberoo after first boxed finished