Thailand fuel/pump prices

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
nil
Professional
Professional

Re: Thailand fuel/pump prices

Post by nil »

:shock: Crude has now collapsed 37% today. 21 year low.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As of this morning per the chart header. Not that we're going anywhere. :cry:

Note: IMO, these are refined products purchased on the market before the big crash we've been reading about. I would think prices will decrease further once they purchase product at the current world market prices.

https://www.fuelpricesthailand.com

phpHBsZwfPM.jpg
phpHBsZwfPM.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 917 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Diesel prices capped at 30 baht for October
he Thai government will subsidize diesel prices to below 30 baht per litre until the end of October to help people with their living costs after the prices inched up last month, the energy minister said Monday.

The price control measures include support from the State Oil Fund and the plan to temporarily offer only one formula of biodiesel, B6, from October 11, the minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow told a briefing.

During September, the fuel prices rose six times. The country’s primary biodiesel B10 stood at 28.29 baht per litre, while B7 stood at 31.29 baht. B10 means there is 10 per cent of palm-oil-derived methyl ester blended with diesel. B7 means the proportion is 7 per cent.

The minister aims to subsidize diesel prices to keep them at 28.29 baht throughout October, expecting a budget of 3 billion baht from the oil fund. The State Oil Fund currently stood around 11 billion baht, he said.

“The government is willing to borrow more to keep the price stable so it will not cause trouble for around 10 million diesel engine users,” he added.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/33482/dies ... r-october/

I wouldn't be surprised if all these subsidies end soon, or they start taxing fuel more to claw back the stimulus money.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm still happy at the moment. When I moved to Thailand, the price was 32฿/litre, so that is my fuel yardstick.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, compared to the UK, it is still very cheap - but compared to its neighbours, Thailand is one of the most expensive in the region for fuel.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:04 am I'm still happy at the moment. When I moved to Thailand, the price was 32฿/litre, so that is my fuel yardstick.
Haha. I remember prices at the pumps going up from 7 to 9 baht a litre considered a hefty rise at the time. The next 'huge' increase was 12 to 15 baht a litre. Many pumps closed to take advantage of profit gauging the following day. There was a queue at the PTT station next to the Isuzu garage on the Cha-am road stretching back to the entrance road to Palm Hills. Pickups with large drums on the back to stock up.

In general, it was a quarter of the UK price. As Buksi says, it's always cheaper over the border. e.g. around 16 baht a litre for diesel in Malaysia.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:18 am [Haha. I remember prices at the pumps going up from 7 to 9 baht a litre considered a hefty rise at the time.
Yes, I remember seeing those prices when here on holiday many years ago, and trying to equate it to what I was paying in the UK. I'm sure the prices were actually below 7฿/litre during my early visits also.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

More angst towards the government ...

Truckers' convoys head to ministry, demand diesel price cut
Truckers parked their vehicles along four roads before driving in convoys to the Ministry of Energy on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway in Bangkok on Tuesday, renewing their call for the price of diesel to be capped at 25 baht per litre.

The move was organised by the Land Transport Federation of Thailand (LTFT).

The "Truck Power Season 2" plan was for 500-700 trucks to converge at the Ministry of Energy for a protest rally against high diesel prices.

Deputy Prime Minister and Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow, who is in Krabi for a cabinet meeting, said in response that the government could only cap the price of high-speed diesel at 30 baht per litre.

He said the government would seek to keep the prices below 30 baht per litre, adding that cooperation had been sought from the private sector and state agencies.

On Tuesday, the price of B7 diesel at pumps in Bangkok was 29.74 baht/litre, B20 29.49 baht/litre and B20 premium diesel 34.96 baht/litre.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -price-cut
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Having just returned from the UK where unleaded petrol was at least £1.45 a litre (63+ Baht), Thai prices are very cheap by comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:09 pm Having just returned from the UK where unleaded petrol was at least £1.45 a litre (63+ Baht), Thai prices are very cheap by comparison.

But salaries are also very low in Thailand by comparison
Attachments
Screenshot_20211116-155749_Chrome.jpg
(347.91 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
Screenshot_20211116-155032_Chrome.jpg
(217.6 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:09 pm Having just returned from the UK where unleaded petrol was at least £1.45 a litre (63+ Baht), Thai prices are very cheap by comparison.

True, but my pension is the same in the UK as it is in Thailand, so I welcome the reduced prices here.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:01 pm
joelle wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm

True, but my pension is the same in the UK as it is in Thailand, so I welcome the reduced prices here.
Sure, ditto, so fully agree (welcome back btw)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:01 pm
joelle wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm But salaries are also very low in Thailand by comparison
Sure, ditto, so fully agree (welcome back btw)
Thanks, it’s good to be back - at least the rain here is warm not cold!!

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This is not going to get them anywhere. The world market price of crude is now around $90 USD, and predicted to reach $100 USD very soon.
....................................................................................................................................
'Come out to fight': Surging diesel strains truckers

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... s-truckers

Cabinet to consider measures to ease impact of fuel prices

Soaring diesel prices are straining governments as they seek to stave off inflation from rising energy costs and quell discontent from aggrieved truck operators that are seeing profits shrink.

The diesel market in Asia has tightened significantly as reduced supplies from China coincided with production disruptions and surging demand in economies rebounding from the pandemic. That has led to rising prices, putting a strain on truckers and governments including Thailand, which this week rejected a plea for an extra fuel subsidy, saying it would cost as much as US$7.3 billion a year.

The increasing cost of fuels, such as diesel and gasoline, is posing a challenge for authorities and central banks globally as they try and tackle inflation while supporting economic growth. It is also exposing Asia's fragile supply chain to more volatility as angry truck operators resort to strike action. Convoys of trucks clogged streets in Bangkok on Tuesday after the subsidy snub, while similar protests have been seen in Bangladesh and Indonesia.

The sector has experienced numerous hurdles since the start of the pandemic, from the infection of drivers that led to widespread labour shortages to supply-chain bottlenecks caused by delayed seaborne shipments and congested ports.

Diesel's surge is part of a global upswing in energy prices that has seen crude rally to the highest level since 2014 as consumption picks up and stockpiles dwindle. Further gains are forecast for oil, a rise that will only stir more resistance from truckers who are already saying enough is enough.

"We have been patient and run at losses for a year," said Apichart Prairungruang, president of Land Transport Federation of Thailand. The main industry body, which represents about 10,000 members, plans to raise service charges from Feb 15. "We need to come out to fight."

Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith on Friday that the cabinet meeting next week will discuss a package of measures to mitigate the impact of high fuel prices.

He said the package will include measures from the energy and finance ministries. He did not give further details.
Big trucks park along Vibhavadi Rangsit Road near the Energy Ministry in Bangkok on Tuesday, as truck operators repeat their demands for lower diesel prices. (Photo: Wichan Charoenkiatpakul)
Big trucks park along Vibhavadi Rangsit Road near the Energy Ministry in Bangkok on Tuesday, as truck operators repeat their demands for lower diesel prices. (Photo: Wichan Charoenkiatpakul)
trucks.jpg (227.2 KiB) Viewed 443 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

So... While they complain that diesel is subsidized to keep it at 30 baht per liter, cost of benzine is now more than 42 baht per liter!! And they are using part of this to subsidize diesel! But I don't waste fuel to find a parking place along Vipawadi do I?
วินเชนท์