Vehicle GPS

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Vehicle GPS

Post by Gregjam »

I bought a Chinese made unit in MV from on of the small shops on the back wall for just under four thousand. It has naviextra (or something like that) mapping and although I was doubtful at first it has been okay. Only gives directions in Thai and the best way to use it is to visually find the place you are going to first and tell it to go there. It came with a car mount and in all honesty is more of a small tablet type pc than a dedicated navigator. As someone who always carries a map and likes to plan where I am going rather than rely on a gadget totally it has worked for me.
Purpose of saying all this is to be cautious and get one that gives you directions you can understand. Read the other threads on this subject as already recommended. I am thinking of bringing my Garmin over from the UK and getting some maps locally for it but am not sure if it will be as cheap as just getting a Garmin here and pass the Thai/Chinese unit off to one of the family. Does anyone know the cost and how easy it is to just bring one purchased in the UK here and use it?
Satnavs are useful but it is always nice to have a map as a backup.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I must admit that I've never had a car GPS anywhere and when in Thailand I rely on a dog-eared old map that I bought in a service station shop about ten years ago. I'd consider getting one if I had to drive in Bangkok at all but for the area around Hua Hin and the village in Issan and the journey in between, I know the roads well enough not to get lost.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I used a cheap Chinese unit with Naviextras as well and it was okay until I needed a map upgrade and the battery started playing up. Thought it would be cheaper to get a replacement so a friend's son inherited the old unit.

I then tried Sygic loaded on my Galaxy S2 and surprise, surprise... it worked pretty well. Interesting in that you can also get additional info if you have both wifi and the data (internet) connection on, never lost the signal even when in the tunnel.
It's a one-off purchase and the updates are free.
Garmin updates can be quite expensive, as is the battery replacement.

The Nokia N97 sits in the glove box as a spare phone, it is gps capable plus gets ovi map updates free for the life of the phone.
วินเชนท์
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Yes the Nokia N97 has good GPS capability within the phone and the maps are very good.
Used it for4 yrs or so now.
Still useful when on foot if you are in a strange location. Used it a lot when working in Delhi & Hanoi and as Vincent D says, you can get the maps updated for free via Ovi.
Tried using it in a car - acceptable but had to mount it on one of those confounded all purpose phone holders.
Having the GPS built - in the car is far better.