Where to get brake-pads replaced in HH?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Where to get brake-pads replaced in HH?

Post by usual suspect »

Just a thought, where do all you pick-up owners get replacement pads/shoes fitted here in town?
Do the tyre-companies stock them? (As in the UK)
Please don't suggest i have to back to the main dealer.. :banghead:

After posting a report here a month ago about 'B-quik' I may pop in % see them..??
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Where to get brake-pads replaced in HH?

Post by Nereus »

usual suspect wrote:Just a thought, where do all you pick-up owners get replacement pads/shoes fitted here in town?
Do the tyre-companies stock them? (As in the UK)
Please don't suggest i have to back to the main dealer.. :banghead: After posting a report here a month ago about 'B-quik' I may pop in % see them..??
Disc pads are easy to replace, drum shoes an entirely different kettle of fish. "L" garage opposite the Palace, K.Pichai will put you right. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Nerus wrote:"L" garage opposite the Palace, K.Pichai will put you right
Not in my experience he won't :cuss:
Bought a car for my daughter last week and collected it from said garage. He had supposedly worked on the vehicle and made it roadworthy( major chassis refurbishment) and serviced and checked the fluids. I asked him ( the garage owner) had he changed the oil and asked how long should I wait between changes.He lied and said he had changed the oil and checked the fluids as I soon found out.
After 20 kms the car overheated and the radiator was leaking old rusty water. A tension? bar had come loose ( fitted by said garage) and the handbrake was near to useless ( fully adjusted and spaced with old nuts and washers and held with only one of two fixing bolts).The battery was not attached and was banging against the power steering reservoir ( newly installed at the same garage)
I took the car to the nearest garage on Palau rd and asked them to repair it.
An new radiator was fitted. The handbrake cable was tightened and the spacers discarded. The old black engine oil was replaced along with a new oil filter ( much needed).The rear gearbox seal was leaking so was replaced and the old gearbox oil was also in dire need of replacement. The brake fluid was also at the lowest level and was topped up. The tension bar was reattached but may need further work as the bracket that was made and attached by guess who is not suitable and could be dangerous according to another garage who refurbishes vehicles.A bar was also fitted to clamp the battery.
I am the last to knock local tradesmen but when the safety of my daughter comes into the issue then yes I feel I am justified.
The moral as far as I am concerned is do not believe what you are told that has been done and check ( if possible) especially if it involves brakes or anything involving safety.
Oh and to add insult to injury the garage said they had put 1000 Baht ( supplied by previous owner ) of petrol in the car - hard to be sure exactly but no more that 500 was actually in it :cuss:
The guy I bought the car off was kind enough to pay for the repairs and said he had paid the owner and expected the work should have been carried out. He will like me be never using or recommending this garage.
no more dePreston
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Good to hear all has turned out OK in the end..without an accident or major problems.. :thumb:

(The 'garage' unit I used to use on the Pala-U Rd seems to now be a car-sales place.. :( must find out if the man who did work for me is still doing car-repairs? & where? ..he was good & honest :thumb: )
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

The garage that repaired the car was I think next to where you are saying is now a car sales shop. He was efficient and quick and seemed to me to be reasonably priced. He had Tuk tuk's and other commercial vehicles in so maybe suggests he is reliable?
no more dePreston
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

poosmate wrote:Not in my experience he won't
Well, I have not used him for awhile, but he has always been good in the past.
One of the big problems with any such service garage is that if the owner earns a reputation of good service, his business builds up and he himself becomes more involved in running the place, rather than hands on work. The actual work then gets left to "technicians" that may or may not be qualified to do as they are told.
I am surprised that he did not offer to put it right, but I guess the old "lose face" comes into it. Did you ask him to rectify the problems?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

No i did not ask him to rectify the problem as the car was broken down and unable to drive.
I was most disappointed that he told me that the oil had been changed and that the other work had been carried out. This car had been with him for several months and therefore should have been checked by a qualified technician - or himself. Excuses about staff tardiness or failure to carry out work given are a part of life in Thailand but safety of myself or my family come before Thai - no loss of face exercises.
no more dePreston