Three wheelers

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Three wheelers

Post by Bristolian »

Nereus wrote:Yes, that is a big part of it. But the centre of gravity in the vertical plane is also affected by the position of the weight above or below the pivot point. If a large part of the weight can be kept low down, coupled with a relatively wide wheelbase, then it will require a high angle of tilt before the centre of gravity passes the point where the car will tip over, 3 wheels or 4.
In my youth a friend bought a Reliant Supervan in the belief that it would improve his chances in getting a girlfriend and it would be much warmer and comfortable than his BSA Bantam motorcycle

After a few weeks he decided to take a group of us to Brean Sands, near Weston Super Mare, for a day out!!
With five of us sitting in the back it was difficult to keep the front wheel on the road and every time we pulled away from a stationary position the front wheel would lift which must have looked very strange to anyone watching.
Eventually we reached the beach, which is, as anyone knows that has visited Brean Down, a long stretch of hard compressed sand with a good measure of river silt (mud) binding the sand together.

The young owner decided to drive it along the empty beach to see what speed he could achieve. Whilst the speed was hardly impressive, he did manage to find, with his front wheel, the only hole, on the whole beach and achieved an impressive series of rolls!!

Fortunately no one was hurt but the Reliant took quite a beating and the fibreglass roof had a crack running from back to front. After patching up the Reliant he sold it and reverted to two wheel transport!
Attachments
reliant super-van.jpg
reliant super-van.jpg (130.69 KiB) Viewed 314 times
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

But what about the Bond Bug..now there's a sporty classic..800cc of pure fun-in-the-sun.. :-)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bristolian wrote:If you ever watch one with an excessively large customer sitting to one side of the passenger seat you will see the same tendency to roll
Never watched one, but I have been that person - still felt pretty sturdy to me :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This CNN article includes a picture gallery of many bizarre old three-wheelers:

Teeny cars worth big bucks
Bruce Weiner is selling the contents of his Georgia Microcar Museum in one huge auction.
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2013 ... hpt=hp_mid
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:
Bristolian wrote:If you ever watch one with an excessively large customer sitting to one side of the passenger seat you will see the same tendency to roll
Never watched one, but I have been that person - still felt pretty sturdy to me :D
Hi BB. Take a look at my avitar. I'm also built for comfort and not speed. Both in the back of a Tuk Tuk could give the driver a front wheel traction issue! :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Is everyone from the Bristol area rotund? :duck:

I was based at Hewlett Packard there for a year and only slimbos would have got through the security gates
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

richard wrote:Is everyone from the Bristol area rotund? :duck:
I can’t really be sure as I have still to meet everyone from Bristol :) :)
However the average BMI must have reduced by a few percentage points since BB and I moved to Thailand
:cheers: