Larry Hagman star of Dallas dies at 81

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Has been fighting illness for quite some time, but sad news - RIP Larry.

Larry Hagman, who spent more than a decade playing TV villain JR Ewing has died at the age of 81, his family says.

Hagman, who had suffered from cancer and cirrhosis of the liver, died in hospital on Friday afternoon, according to a family statement.

"Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved most," said the family. "He was surrounded by loved ones."

Long-time friend Linda Gray, who played Sue Ellen, was by his bedside.

"Larry Hagman was my best friend for 35 years," said Ms Gray in a statement released by her agent.

"He was the Pied Piper of life and brought joy to everyone he knew. He was creative, generous, funny, loving and talented and I will miss him enormously.

"He was an original and lived life to the full."

During 13 years as the most scheming oil tycoon in Dallas, JR in his Stetson became one of the most distinctive faces on television screens across the world.

It quickly became one of the network's top-rated programmes - with its 356 episodes being seen by an estimated 300 million people in 57 countries - and was revived this year.

Full Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20474197
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
gandalfinthai

Re: Larry Hagman star of Dallas dies at 81

Post by gandalfinthai »

I also knew Larry, worked with him at the Hartford Stage Company in Connecticut. He was a gentle and honest soul. A decent poker player as well. He will be missed.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Liked him in I dream of Genie, liked her more though :-) RIP
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

JimmyGreaves wrote:Liked him in I dream of Genie, liked her more though :-) RIP
Have to say I did fancy Barbara a tad myself as a youngster (and watching re-runs.... I'm not that old). Larry did a few movies I enjoyed also, but obviously it was JR and Dallas that sticks with me and no doubt most others. Myself and my siblings enjoyed many a good episode of "Dallas" ...... myself caring more about Pam's breasts than who shot JR, but never-the-less, I do have fond memories!!

Which character these days can match JR?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Pedro C
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pedro C »

Larry was an almost incurable slave of alcohol for many many years. A liver condition almost killed him some years back Yet modern science managed to turn him around and keep him alive until he was 81. He had the good fortune of landing the role as JR and through his acting skills he and his coworkers managed to keep the series alive for a good number of years.
I was very fond of the manipulating true rascal character he portrayed in his role as JR. I am also old enough to remember him from "I dream of Genie".
Thank you Larry for keeping us entertained for many years.
May you have eternal peace.
Life is short. Especially for those of us who have most of our future behind us.