Constructive criticism and suggestions welcome

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Guess, there is one other small thing that I have just found after logging out of the site.
If you do not log in with your user name when you use the site, the
View posts since last visit and View your posts links will not appear on the site, only the View unanswered posts appears.
If you are not logging in each time, that is why you are having trouble finding it.
Steve :cheers:
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Yes the option is available to all members. As said above though you must be logged in as the board uses a cookie to remember your preferences along with what posts you have read, thus that list will be different for everybody.

If your windows and browser security settings are too high you may be limiting the functions of the board.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

chelsea wrote: If you do not log in with your user name when you use the site, the
View posts since last visit and View your posts links will not appear on the site, only the View unanswered posts appears.
If you are not logging in each time, that is why you are having trouble finding it.
Steve :cheers:
Well done you have hit the nail right on the head. I am in then habit of reading and then responding if I see fit. That means that when I see the front page I am rarely looged on. When I decide to reply to something I get get the log on page. Maybe I should get into the habit of logging on everytime I visit.

The only problem with that is that if I inadvertently leave the PC logged on to HHAD under my name then anybody can used my ID and post. Not a major problem cos it's usually only my wife and daughter. I have had one incident of a "friend" making a posting on my behalf.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

After all the helpful advice, I still maintain that the topic list should be 30 items not ten. There is plenty of space to do so. I think also that the sponsored sites list should be at the top.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Guess wrote:After all the helpful advice, I still maintain that the topic list should be 30 items not ten. There is plenty of space to do so. I think also that the sponsored sites list should be at the top.
Really not sure what you mean here. The "View posts since last visit" shows ALL the posts since you last looked, I just checked and there were 14 so there is no limit on this.

If you are refering to the "Latest topics" list we have on the front page:
http://www.huahinafterdark.com/index.htm then yes we have limited this to ten but it can be changed. We selected ten as it fits nicely on the page and we didnt really want a huge list there as people can simply come into the forum themselves to see what is new.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Lev wrote:
If you are refering to the "Latest topics" list we have on the front page:
http://www.huahinafterdark.com/index.htm then yes we have limited this to ten but it can be changed. We selected ten as it fits nicely on the page and we didnt really want a huge list there as people can simply come into the forum themselves to see what is new.
Yes that's what I meant. I know there are always other ways but I am lazy. There does seem to be enough space for at least twenty without too much juggling.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

The list on Front page isnt really part of the forum. Its whole purpose is to get non members into the board by giving them a glimpse of what is being posted. We also have it on the Front page of the Observer site which is quite successful at attracting readers.

The "view latest posts" is the best way to find out what has been posted since your last visit.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Couldn't agree more. It took me a little while to sort this function out, but if you're logging on regularly it's the only way to do it from a time point of view.
Nothing worse than thinking "I was last on the board at around 7am this morning, so I've got to check all the last posts on all forums for any that have been added to since then".