The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Post by Dannie Boy »

You can make what you want of numbers and statistics. Thailand might have the highest density, but nowhere near the most motorcycles in the world - Indonesia has a population of over 270m so in terms of numbers, it would dwarf Thailand by a factor of more than four, even Vietnam would have considerably more with a population of some 97m compared to Thailands 71m.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Absolutely, seems skewed as they're counting households, not actual motorcycles of which there are a lot more in Nam and Indo.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Must be a per capita figure. Same as their fatalities per 100,000.
Interested to know how Thailand ranks by country for road deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ginjaninja wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:37 pm Interested to know how Thailand ranks by country for road deaths.
It was a global second to Libya for years, but may actually be the world champion for that somber stat now.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... nking-list
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... eath-table
https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40018423
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

My MSX125 indicators have completely perished after sitting in the heat for so long. Anyone have any recommendations for accessories shops selling aftermarket parts?
Cheers,
GN.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Laz has a bunch of aftermarket blinkers, mostly from China though, I bought some for the KLX.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks. Was hoping to get something the next day or two.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Improving perfection - the new Ducati Scrambler Icon
I always admire motorcycles with air-cooled engines, and the Ducati Scrambler Icon is one of the few models that continues the tradition of displaying a simple, clean appearance without the radiator blocking the beauty of the engine block, which is the essential component of a naked bike.

As a Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro owner, I know that pure thrill as it delivers punchy torque at low to medium revs. I hoped that core character remained with the latest-gen Ducati Scrambler after being invited to the global press launch and test ride in Valencia, Spain, earlier this year.

The Ducati Scrambler Icon is a good choice if you are looking for a motorcycle with personality and modern style, one that is accessible for everyday riding and capable on long journeys as well. It's packed with new technology, for example Road and Sport modes, ride-by-wire, four-step traction control that can be switched off, cornering ABS, a 4.3-inch TFT full colour display and full LED light package. It maintains a distinctive image with the round headlight equipped with circular segmented daytime running lights.

Powered by the L-Twin Desmodromic, 2-valves per cylinder, air-cooled engine with a trellis frame, wide handlebars and low centre of gravity, these essential features of the new Ducati Scramblers guarantee a fun ride. The new engine, with maximum output of 73hp at 8,250rpm, is lighter and peak torque has been raised to 65Nm at 7,000rpm.

The new swingarm drives a shock absorber in a central position, no longer on the left side. The steering angle and handlebar position have also been revised to improve the bike's handling. A slimmer seat design also makes for easier accessibility.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/mo ... mbler-icon
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I'm trying to arrange insurance for my bike and AA Insurance have advised that because the bike is now 10-years old they can offer only 3rd-class insurance. This means limited coverage and nothing for Fire/theft.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get 1st-class insurance for older bikes?
Thanks,
GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

In amongst the ads, a list of interesting memorable motorbikes:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/th ... 31#image=6

AA1eZpld.jpg
AA1eZpld.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ginjaninja wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:43 pm I'm trying to arrange insurance for my bike and AA Insurance have advised that because the bike is now 10-years old they can offer only 3rd-class insurance. This means limited coverage and nothing for Fire/theft.
Does anyone know if it's possible to get 1st-class insurance for older bikes?
Thanks,
GN.
I don't bother with it anymore because my bike is also ten years old now and I doubt anyone would steal it! I need insuring more than the motorcycle!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Phat Scooters
I notice a lot of these around Hua Hin now, the Forza or Xmax types that are above 300cc. I also notice that they are seriously expensive (starting at 180,000 baht) and wonder how school kids can afford them (or the payments on them.) Had a go on one but they're simply too heavy for around town at 184kgs, and way too heavy for the Mrs to handle going to the market or salon.

So I sold the MT-15 and went for a Yamaha Nmax which is bigger than a PCX but smaller than the Xmax and Forza. This beast (which looks like something out of a Batman movie) is very comfortable, stable, and has plenty of oomph around town, plus Mrs B can ride it without issues (the Enfield is also too heavy for her). I'm impressed with these 'phat scooters' but you still can't beat a manual!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^One of my neighbours has a 300 Xmax and his wife has no problem riding it. They just had to put a lower seat on it so she could touch the ground!
I had a look at one at the dealer and they're nice but it's hard to justify the cost of 200,000bt when you can get a perfectly good Honda for about 60,000bt that does exactly the same thing.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, just can't justify a 200K and 200-kilo 'scooter' for around town, but it would be nice to have a long-legged wife... :duck:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Bike helmet safety

Post by migrant »

Not sure why this just came to me but has anyone left their helmet on their bike and came back and it was missing? I've never had a problem but being from Detroit I'm always concerned about leaving things out in the open.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.