The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Which Pick-Up Truck?

Post by JimmyGreaves »

bazza wrote:Yes good point going back to Ford they gave me free insurance plus eight extras. When you go to Isuzu you get the big zero. Toyota a little better but not much more and none would give a discount on the price and Isuzu put the price up last month making them the most expensive.
Isuzu gave me heaps of extras and an end of monthly buyers party with loads of food. At the party I also got a large refridgerator free!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The deed is done, but what a runaround getting there.

Started off at Isuzu. Found a vehicle that suited me - 3 months waiting. Then they started telling me that i hadn't chosen the best vehicle for me - they wanted me to have one about 200K dearer. I asked what the waiting time was on that one - still 3 months. I smiled, and said I think you're right, that isn't the right vehicle for me, I'm off to Toyota.

Toyota - what a joke. Only 2 cars in the showroom - I could have strapped one to each foot, they were so small. Told them what I wanted - they took me out back, and showed me some suitable vehicles. Can I look inside? No? Goodbye.

Mitsubishi - 3 month lead time, but too small inside - didn't even get off the starting blocks.

Mazda - 3 month lead time, and the price had risen by 50K from that shown at Market Village last week (may still be there).

Ford - the shortest lead time of the lot, and a pretty vehicle to boot. I pick it up in 2 months time. Comes complete with first class insurance, and I persuaded them to throw in one of those plastic backs.

Another 2 months of tuk tuks :cuss:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bazza
Amateur
Amateur

Post by bazza »

Well done BB. Just as a matter of interest what colour did you choose?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:oops: My wife chose Aurora Blue :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That was really stupid of Toyota wasn't it? You were ready and they blew it big time. I have no other civil words. :cuss: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think this must be the blue in question. Not a bad choice at all. I like it. Pete :cheers:
1248903599754.jpg
1248903599754.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:That was really stupid of Toyota wasn't it? You were ready and they blew it big time. I have no other civil words. :cuss: Pete :cheers:
I've noticed that witha few of the dealerships in Thailand, they sell all the stock and then have nothing to display but I suppose if they have several month waiting lists they don't actually have to do much to sell vehicles.
Another point is that when I bought from Toyota, the two month lead time they gave seemed to be nothing more than a guess as the truck was actually ready quite a bit earlier but after the floods it's probably going the other way. ( I actually ordered mine two months before a date I was arriving in Thailand and they were a bit put out when told that I didn't want it until then! )
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Now comes the fun part BB as you have 2 months to order up more accessories. :D They install them at the dealership anyway so you have time to order what you want. Below is a full listing exterior and interior.

I don't see the side step rail as an option so assume standard. That's good as it will save your back getting in if a step rail is there. The only other exterior things I would recommend are the bonnet protector, weather shield, front mud flaps and the bed rail cover if not included with the bed liner they gave you. Pete :cheers:

http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ran ... s/exterior
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Good one BB. Is it automatic trans, 2 or 4 wheel drive? I would agree with Pete about the side steps and weather guards.
I also think that a big car like that should be fitted with a tow bar, regardless of whether or not you intend to tow anything. They provide some good protection from rear end shunters, and it is always good to have some strong point to attach a towrope if you get stuck someplace, or somebody else needs a tow. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's a 2WD Automatic. The side steps are standard. When I've fully absorbed Pete's list, I will be asking for a few extra bits.

Points 48; Position 20
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Great choice BB, u will have to trick up your new ride I reckon! lol
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

Nice car, nice colour BB. I would agree with Nereus on the towbar. Acts well as protection in a rear end shunt and makes a mess of the offending vehicle. Also may help when it comes to reselling it? Although you probably wont be thinking of that just yet. :)
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

Tow bar, carry bar (roof rack) and 'nudge' bar at front (bull bar) look like the most useful accs.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A small opinion piece. I love pick-up's here and have always had one up to this Pajero SUV I have now. If you own a house and/or have a Thai family there's always a need to haul something, or navigate bad roads, floods etc. They're the most practical vehicle IMO when living in a rural area. For example the nearest supply of pool salt and chemicals for us is 40KM away. If I had a truck I could go, buy and haul. Now we have to order, wait and pay a transport premium. We also have a Vespa and our local service outlet closed. Again 40KM to the nearest service and no fun to drive a Vespa that far. If I still had a truck we could load it up and take it in once or twice a year.

I was doing much more driving when I had my last PU than I am now, but became totally disgusted as I was getting stopped by the police on almost every trip we went on. Even just the drive from Rayong province to Pattaya. I really got tired of it as it's clearly obvious that the more fancy car you have, the less highway police mess with you. Fancy tricked out PUs don't qualify! The only other complaint is PUs in 2WD tend to be a bit light in the tail end and if driving aggressively and the roads are a bit wet, be careful.

I've also found that if you have a police friend, it is possible with a donation to obtain one of those brass colored police medallions to affix to your front grill. They won't stop you at all if you have one of those. With a BIL in the local police force I've still been unsuccessful in getting one, so you really have to work at it and take the boss to lunch and golf a few times....and a hefty donation to the police retirement fund.

Anyway, seeing the style PU's are now heading here and the list of equipment the now have, I may just try one again when the time comes. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:We also have a Vespa and our local service outlet closed. Again 40KM to the nearest service and no fun to drive a Vespa that far. If I still had a truck we could load it up and take it in once or twice a year.
Another reason to have a tow bar! Very easy to get a small rack made that fits into the receiver on the tow bar. A fold down "ramp" on one end of it to wheel the Vespa up, and away you go. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!