Buying an airgun in HuaHin/Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Re: Buying an airgun in HuaHin/Thailand

Post by buksida »

Maybe a small air compressor would work then, and we can also use it for pumping up the motorbike tires!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Assuming you go down this route, I’m sure a number of us will be eager to see your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

A sack of dead roosters, and a peaceful night's sleep hopefully!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

That will confirm its FFP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:02 pm Maybe a small air compressor would work then, and we can also use it for pumping up the motorbike tires!
I see that you can buy electric compressors for them but they need to be high pressure, not the sort you normally use for tires, spray guns etc.
The diving tank approach would work if you have a dive shop around, or you could get the high pressure stirrup pump and persuade the Thai shooter that pumping alot is what the fun of shooting chickens costs!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:02 pm Maybe a small air compressor would work then, and we can also use it for pumping up the motorbike tires!
As Steve has posted, you need a HP pump, as one of those listed is stating 400 psi. A small spray painting pump, or tyre inflator, will max out at around + - 100 psi. A diving tank HP compressor is around 3,000 psi, so you would need some expensive pressure reducing equipment.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dive shops all closed around here, along with everything else, so will get the pump that the shop selling the rifle sells.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A word of caution with this air equipment. It seems that in countries where air rifles are legal, that these PCP guns are operating at pressures around 200 bar, 3,000 psi. These pressures can be lethal if the correct fittings are not used.

I suspect that here they are employing much lower pressures, as listed around 400 psi, resulting in much lower projectile velocities and force.

As far as I know, the muzzle force in Thailand is limited to 10 lbs ft., which only those "Airsoft" type qualify.

Do not be tempted to use higher pressures, as the rifle may not be designed for it.

https://airtanks.co.nz/collections/shootair
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Would a pnuematic BB gun not suffice in encouraging them to 're-locate'?
Or are you determined your foul feathery friends be dispatched?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've tried BB guns and it just pisses them off, they're not powerful enough. The roosters are too stupid to move away and keep coming back so they need to be culled. Thais seem to be immune to the incessant screeching. This morning I counted 42 of the f*ckers within 100 meters of our place. :guns:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:24 am I've tried BB guns and it just pisses them off, they're not powerful enough. The roosters are too stupid to move away and keep coming back so they need to be culled. Thais seem to be immune to the incessant screeching. This morning I counted 42 of the f*ckers within 100 meters of our place. :guns:
Up to you! The only way these things can be sold here legally is if the muzzle force is less than 10 ft lbs, as I have posted.
That puts them in the same category as an Airsoft, or similar. Even if right on the limit, I doubt that they will knock down a rooster, and may send him off just wounded.

Not doubting your frustration, I have been through it in a Village, along with a pen full of stinking pigs 10 feet away!
buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:26 pm (Obviously, I would get a Thai to purchase it and do the trigger pulling, but they will be paid handsomely for returning some serenity to our property.)
Besides, they're selling them on Lazada so they must be "legal". I'm not worried about what was written on a piece of paper in Bangkok 60 years ago and there is no chance someone is going to inspect how much pressure it has.

Farting is probably illegal in Thailand unless you have the correct gaseous exchange permit.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Had a look at the ad on Lazada. It looks like a Somchai manufactured jobbie, the ad also states 2 free bottles of ammo included. On examining the posted piccies, it appears that this thing will only eject ball bearings and no real attention to tolerances between barrel and ammo. I'd give this a wide berth.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Can't you just get dogs on the property? Have been quite successful so far, but the youngest dog has a tendency to bite their necks off. Annoying that you have to dig a hole and bury them. Definitely consider a fence - they have plastic netting rolls that don't cost too much but only last about 2 years. We used it successfully for a smaller area, but will now have to consider fencing off a lot more as the buggers are now getting into where we've got small durian trees and are causing some damage.
Do have to watch out for the elephants, though. They do occasionally show up and cause considerably more damage..
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

What would you suggest then since we can't buy real airguns easily here? This is the closest to one I've found, even if they are made in someone's shed!

We have two dogs, but they're not fast enough to catch the buggers. Land is too impractical to fence, and it won't stop them screeching on neighbouring plots - its the incessant noise that is driving me nuts above everything else.