The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: The SUV Thread

Post by handdrummer »

malcolminthemiddle wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:50 pm This new Isuzu MU-X caught my attention the other day. Less than 1.2 million.
Keeping in mind the Jeeps of the past, I'd say that the Isuzu would be a better choice.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As it looks now, a very unexciting piece of kit. Looks like a mini-mini van to me without the sliding door. Perhaps when they introduce the mentioned Xpander Cross it will look better.

Xpander tries to muscle its way in

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... its-way-in (Story and more photos at link)

php39HdWiPM.jpg
php39HdWiPM.jpg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Add on to the above older article.

Mitsubishi Xpander Cross

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... with-style (Photos and info)

phpYEQ8IHAM.jpg
phpYEQ8IHAM.jpg (128.65 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

New and updated models in the SUV segment - 2022/23

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... erformance

An entire selection of updated models from different manufacturers, primarily focusing on the smaller/crossover segment.

Best read at link as many photos.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What the attraction is with the below I'm not sure. :?

Ford's Everest PPV set for delivery

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... r-delivery

Ford is ready to deliver the first units of the new Everest PPV (Pickup Passenger Vehicle) to Thai customers as well as over 100 markets around the world from the AutoAlliance Thailand assembly facility in Rayong.

According to a press release from Ford Thailand, deliveries to the first group of Thai customers will commence today.

"The new Everest is liked by Thai customers and orders are flowing in continuously. We believe that customers have a great experience owning this piece of engineering from Ford," Ford Thailand managing director Wichit Wongwatthanakan said.

Everest is available in four variants with prices ranging from 1,334,000 baht to 1,854,000 baht.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Fortuner gets 2022 update

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... 022-update

Toyota has introduced 2022 updates for the popular Fortuner, which commands a 45% market share in the PPV (Pickup Passenger Vehicle) segment....

Photos at link
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The top of the range model is the equivalent of more than £44,000 - that’s a lot of money for this type of vehicle!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think a big chunk is still excise tax. 2022 > up for combustion cars, and down for electric. I've seen it published in a few places, but I don't remember the percentage difference.

Grand dreams and plans, but we're still in a country that depends upon things like excise tax on big items and imports and tourism to fill the coffers.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Talking about Mazda on the CVT thread, they have a few other SUV 's smaller and larger than the CX 5.

https://www.mazda.co.th/

Unfortunately it's one of the few auto websites that doesn't have an English language option, so you'll have to peck your way through it as it's a mix of both languages.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, was looking through, and they do not have a CVT option.
วินเชนท์
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

PeteC wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:24 pm I think a big chunk is still excise tax. 2022 > up for combustion cars, and down for electric. I've seen it published in a few places, but I don't remember the percentage difference.

Grand dreams and plans, but we're still in a country that depends upon things like excise tax on big items and imports and tourism to fill the coffers.
Not sure what it is now, less or more than 2011's excise tax. When they were doing the rebates, our excise tax rebate was 100k, on a 525k Mazda 2. Suspect that wasn't even the full excise tax, so near 20% of the price tag.

The gov't subsidy this year on our MG ZS EV was 240k, (MG EP/227K). That's some big chunks of change, well worth taking advantage if in the market and EV fits your driving lifestyle.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

2023 Nissan Terra

No clue why the Bangkok Post is calling this a pickup? Written before his coffee this morning!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/mo ... ted-pickup

Many photos and specs at the link. Reading comparisons, this 2023 Terra now ranks higher across the board than the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, and at a lower price.

We need comment from Vincent as he is our experienced Nissan expert. :thumb: :cheers:
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

PeteC wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:50 pm 2023 Nissan Terra

No clue why the Bangkok Post is calling this a pickup? Written before his coffee this morning!
Maybe because it uses the Navara (D23) pick up frame.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, it's what's known in Thailand as a PPV which is a separate tax category for locally produced passenger vehicles derived from pickup trucks.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

They go to all the trouble listing it’s detailed specifications but omit one of the most important things - the price!!