Camera and photography thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
pharvey

Re: Camera and photography thread

Post by pharvey »

I was going to post this in the "Space & Astronomy" thread (maybe double up :wink: ), but thought I'd post here - the cost of the cameras is extraordinary! Buks - I know you're well into your photography and have done a great deal whilst diving. How do the prices compare? Have you ever taken an interest in "Astrophotography"?

Beginners Guide to Astrophotography - https://www.livescience.com/beginners-g ... hotography

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Is anyone using a mirrorless camera yet? Would like to get some firsthand experience on how they compare to a DSLR from someone that has used both.

Have read the reviews online which hint that they're aimed at the social media group which isn't me (and the batteries drain quicker).

Like the look of the Nikon Z range and the recent road trip has given me my photography mojo back!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

buksida wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:08 am Is anyone using a mirrorless camera yet? Would like to get some firsthand experience on how they compare to a DSLR from someone that has used both.
I use Sony's mirrorless. Nothing to compare to, since went from point & shoot, to mirrorless.

Less moving parts works for me, and just seemed the sensible way to go. Really loving the Sony line, though the others are catching up, and seem to on par. Many even stopped using Sony sensors a few years back.

I seem to be drawn mainly to wildlife, specifically birds. Some landscape and city/rural life. I like the advantage of the APS-C body/sensor for the extra reach.

According to most YT'ers, once gone mirrorless, no regrets and no going back. A plus with Sony, all their lens, use same E-mount.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56481061@N02/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nice one, specifically wanted to know how they compare to a DSLR though since that's what I've been using for years. It would be great to have a camera with the same functionality, flexibility, and lens compatibility that is half the weight and size!

Doubt I'd ever move away from Nikon though, I suppose I'm the same with cameras as Apple freaks are with their i-things!

Edit: just looked through your gallery and the quality looks superb, easily DSLR standard.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Can I say KhunLA those photos on your flickr page are amazing. I also have a flickr account with some photos I have taken over the last few years since I returned to photography as a DSLR virgin. When I was a teenager I was using a 35mm Pentax ME Super, mainly for motorsport and airshow photography. Now I am really pleased with my digital results with mostly bird shots. I was toying with getting a mirrorless, but it was mainly the cost difference, so I went for a budget package on a Nikon D5600 and 70-300mm lens here in Saudi as a starter. Must say I am hooked again. GN.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Thanks
Always a camera handy, but point & shoots. Decent ones, and thought expensive at the time, but since late 2018, went to the Sony interchangeable lens route. What a difference ... and yea, much improved 😂
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just found this review which compares the Nikon Z50 with the next iteration of what I currently shoot with, the D7200.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buyi ... ss-vs-dslr

As expected, Nikon mirrorless cameras are very expensive in Thailand (as most things are) so I may stick with the DSLR for a couple more years.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

For every negative there will be a positive :thumb:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

buksida wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:25 pm Just found this review which compares the Nikon Z50 with the next iteration of what I currently shoot with, the D7200
What lenses do you have for your D7200 ?

Or better, which lenses, do you use the most ?

As I have a few, but really on use 2.
18-105mm
200-600mm
buksida

Post by buksida »

KhunLA wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:30 pm What lenses do you have for your D7200 ?

Or better, which lenses, do you use the most ?

Most commonly used lens is the DX 18-140 (F3.5-5.6). I reckon 90% of my shots are taken with this one.
For telephoto I use the Nikkor DX 55-300 but it likes a lot of light.
Also have a F1.8 50mm prime for macro and flora and the like.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

buksida wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:23 am Most commonly used lens is the DX 18-140 (F3.5-5.6). I reckon 90% of my shots are taken with this one.
For telephoto I use the Nikkor DX 55-300 but it needs a lot of light.
Also have a F1.8 50mm prime for macro and flora and the like.
Asking because I have a spare body, that gets minimal use, and I keep a F2 wide angle on it, I think.

Sony @6000 which was released just prior to the D7200 and sort of spec'd the same. But only have the kit lens, 16-50, and a mediocre longer lens, 55-210. Kit starts @ F3.5, longer lens @ F4.5

If you wanted to test it out for a while, but without the better lenses on it, be hard to really judge it. Just appreciate the smaller size, which doesn't tell you much. Main difference, no mechanical shutter, and electronic viewfinder.
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Niko ... lpha-a6000

@6000 a far cry from @6400s that i use regularly. Priced about the same as Z50, ฿30k, and never seems to have a sale, unlike the others (@6300/6500), knowing it's their preferred model for most folks.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for the offer. Reckon I'll stick with the D7200 for now though considering the steep prices and limited availability of the Nikon Z series in Thailand, and needing a different adaptor for lenses.

It still does more than I need so can't really justify splashing out thousands more on a new one just yet! Maybe some new glass though :naughty:
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

buksida wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:13 am It still does more than I need so can't really justify splashing out thousands more on a new one just yet! Maybe some new glass though :naughty:
Yea, I don't use half the features of the camera either. Unless you're going birding, you got 18-300mm covered, plus the APS-C's extra reach.

Only reason to upgrade would be for better tracking, again, if birding or shooting sports.

Lenses are addicting. @6000 came with the kit (16-50) Got a 12-25-35mm, the 55-210. Then sprung for the 18-105F4 G lens, one step below the GM/pro lens line. Cost more than the rest combined.
Pretty much retired the others.

Only got the 200-600G for wildlife, but now seems to be the only one I use. Phone actually fills in for the 18-105mm, for just knocking around town, unless really wanting a special sunrise/sunset or landscape. Then I'll break out the other camera & lens, but rare.

Happy Snapping ... :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Pulled the trigger on the Z50 being on the road at the moment in a country where these things are considerably cheaper than in Thailand, it was a deal I couldn't refuse.

Just unboxed it and playing around, first impressions are good. Love the lightweight feel and fast response from the kit lenses (16-50 F3.5-6.3 and 50-250 telephoto). Already suffering from shoulder pain from humping the D7200, lenses and tripod around the country for the past two weeks!

It appears to have all the functionality of the DSLR and the electronic viewfinder is great for my failing vision but will take some getting used to after decades with an optical vf! Looking forward to hitting the streets with it without ending up with backache!

photo_2023-11-06_20-50-39.jpg
View from the hotel, P-auto mode.
(202.95 KiB) Downloaded 292 times