Camera and photography thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Camera and photography thread

Post by buksida »

:agree: What he said!

The D5300 is an entry level DSLR, but you may want to go for the newer D5600 which is the latest model in that range and only a couple of grand more. Have a look here for reviews and spec comparisons: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying ... under-1000

I would always go for the bigger lens kit - you'll be using that zoom more than you expect! The sky is the limit for lenses but I believe both kit lenses there max out at 3.5 as the lowest F stop.

I got mine (D7200 with the 18-140 kit lens) in Big Camera, Market Village for the same price as online.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Obviously the 14-140 gives you additional focal length and is much more convenient than carrying 2 lenses to achieve the same focal length coverage. From personal experience I see 2 problems.

Add the weights of the body and 14-140 VR. Depending on how and where you shoot, carrying that weight may be no big deal, or it could discourage you from bringing the camera with you.

Other problem is the 14-140 is f5.6 at the long end. You may find the only way to stop motion at the longer lengths is to increase the ISO to where you're not satisfied with the image quality.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Thanks for the replies. Have a bit more to research and think about.

Appreciate your input. Valuable stuff.

laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Thanks again, as didn't know much about DSLR / interchangeable lens & such. :cheers:

Research quite a bit more, and decided on mirrorless and made sense to me, no moving mirror / part to wear out or have an oops with.

Went with entry level (inexpensive), Sony a6000. Xmas present for myself, and picked one up for my daughter also. A few years older model, seemed a bit a head of its time when release, and still pretty techy against current models. Price helped decide, as not sure if I'd warm up to the hobby. Sony using E-mount for cropped and FF, also help decide, as major plus there when coming to lenses.

Past experience was just point and shoot w/zoom, along with action cams for my quads & hexacopters. Which thanks to drone laws, I sold my to vid quads.... :roll:

7600+ snaps later, along with a few lenses along the way, and just upgraded the body to the a6400, released a few months ago. Good thing, as came down a wee bit in price, since Sony just released 2 more bodies, with added features & price, I have no interest in. So 3 new bodies in about 6 months, that's a bit much.

a6400 has more features than I'll ever get around to using. Almost as addicting as my flying toys were. Think I'm squared away though, maybe one more lens in the future. :roll:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Some of these new mirrorless cameras are phenomenal and Sony seems to be leading the pack at the moment. Panasonic’s latest offerings have mind-blowing specifications, although the size and price of both of these manufacturers’ top-end systems is eye-watering.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

No argument there. Why I started with the a6000, especially since I'm not really into vids. Everything else offered 4k, and I rarely even use the 1080p. :roll:

The a6400 has way more features than I'll utilize. Mainly going for the better EVF, and almost triple the focusing points. Built in time-lapse, I'll probably test that out, but can't imagine much else needed, maybe a couple slow mo's before I get bored with that.

A couple upgrades I wanted, and will make shooting easier, quicker, but the rest geared toward video, and I doubt if I'll get much use out of them.

They did pack it with their high-end processor from their top of line FF, that's was nice. A jump up from the cost of the a6000, but not even close to the price of the other camera bodies out there. Actually surprised they kept it as low as the did.

Notice Sony shooters are in the minority, but catching up. There lens releases are really silly prices, with the exception of the one that's caught my eye, though a huge jump from what I have. Have to justify my need and how much I'll actually use it.

It will definitely help with birds, though I'm not exactly going to be sitting on mt. tops waiting on the migrating flocks.......yet :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I may have posted this link before, long ago, but here it is again. Good information for amateur photographers in each issue. Just look for "Snapshots" in their directory, and then articles by "Harry Flashman".

https://www.pattayamail.com/snapshots
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nature TTL Photographer of the Year 2020

Some superb photographs at: - https://www.naturettl.com/poty/2020-winners/

buks - do you ever go in for anything like this?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nah, these guys are pros with thousands of dollars of gear, I just do it for fun.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm Nah, these guys are pros with thousands of dollars of gear, I just do it for fun.
Fair play, but IMHO your photography is on a par with many of them! :thumb:
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is a photography workshop going on at Bluport on Feb. 21-22.

151589489_3866892003372841_2535239745356332167_o.jpg
151589489_3866892003372841_2535239745356332167_o.jpg (206.85 KiB) Viewed 797 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A mind-bending photograph of an orangutan with the sky reflected in water has won first prize in the Nature TTL Photographer of the Year 2021 competition.
winner.jpg
winner.jpg (234.92 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Some more incredible photo's from the competition here: - https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-57335458

:cheers: :cheers:
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Talk about saving my A$$
Lightroom & DeNoise AI are amazing software

Saved ... original underneath
buksida

Post by buksida »

Great shots, yes use Lightroom a lot, its amazing the colours and depth that it brings out.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Film resurgence captures photographers seeking to 'slow down' and hone their art

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-10/ ... /101737768

Treading water off a beach on Queensland's Gold Coast, Calin Jones is waiting for the right moment.

A professional photographer, Jones would usually be snapping hundreds of photos a second as boardriders pass the lens of his digital camera.

Now, using an old film camera, he only has one chance.

"It's so much more challenging," he said.

"You've only got 36 shots on the roll, especially when you're out in the water, so you've really got to make it last and watch for good moments, not just take a photo of everything that moves."

Jones has been taking photos for 13 years. But two years ago, he swapped his digital camera for an old film rig.

"Digital cameras are so advanced; you can literally just hold the trigger and take 100 photos in a couple of seconds," he said.

"It didn't feel authentic. It just felt like cheating.

"It felt like I wasn't a photographer. I was just using a camera and it was doing all the work for me."

long article at link...................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!