Pung Plui Restaurant

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Pung Plui Restaurant

Post by Big Boy »

We have used this restaurant a couple of times already on this visit, and on both occassions we were amazed that we were the only patrons of the establishment. It is situated at the top of Soi 80, where you turn left and walk about 20 yards.
DSC04154a.jpg
DSC04154a.jpg (120.06 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
The place is spotlessly clean (Mrs BB reckons the toilets deserve a special mention). The cuisine is Thai and European, and the prices are amongst the best we've encountered during this visit - much cheaper than rivals such as Lek Lek. The 5 Thais in my party reckoned it was by far the best Thai food they had tasted in our tour of 'strong seat' establishments around this area. Personally, I felt the food was as least as good as other places.

The ambience is much more Thai Style than other similar places, and service was efficient (although as I've said, we've been the only customers).

I believe the place is well worth a visit, and I don't think anybody will be disappointed.

More importantly, I'd like to know if I've found a little gem, or have others tried it already? Has it been unusual for us to be the only patrons?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Pung Plui Restaurant

Post by crazy88 »

Thanks

I will give it a try. A lot of competition in that area and the recent weather might explain the lack of customers.

Crazy 88
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Do you mean it is on the railway road; just past Soi 80? If so I think it is the restaurant I noticed for the first time today as we drove past and thought it looked nice.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that'll be the one. On the Railway Road about 20 yards past Soi 80. If you go, let us know how it was for you.

Points 51; Position 21
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Is it on the railway (west) side or the east side?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

On the East side.

Points 51; Position 21
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Went to Pung Plui for lunch today and whilst the food was excellent I am not sure we will be going back in a hurry.
We were the only ones in there and I have to say the service was dire – twice we had to go and find someone to serve us.

However the icing on the cake was when the other half’s beer was thrown away – as the waiter was pouring his new bottle of beer a fly flew into the glass and instead of removing the fly he threw the whole glass full away leaving less than a half glass of beer out of a large bottle. No apology and certainly no offer of replacing the beer, when we complained we were told it was for his own good by who we suppose to be the owner and to say he had attitude is an understatement. He brought our bill over and snatched the money from us with what can only be described as a sneer.

It is a shame as we had both enjoyed our meal and without beer/fly incident and the attitude of the ‘owner’ would most certainly have gone back.

It is a nice looking restaurant, time and effort has been spent on the place though I would say at lunchtime there is rather too much traffic noise and dust as the road is used by a lot of earth trucks these days.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Thanks for posting. I was going to go there just to test the place, but having read the above, I'll hold on for a while. Perhaps the owner and staff just had a bad hair day today but I'll not hurry there. There are so many other fish in the sea.

BTW, Pung Plui seems to be at the spot where the Fah Sai was earlier.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Do not be put off by our experience as the food was good and so are the prices - just watch out for flies and pour your own beer!!!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We went there again last night, and they announced that from today the restaurant will no longer open on a Tuesday.

I discussed the moja 'fly' incident with the owner. He remembers it very well, but disputed the actual chain of events as reported on this thread. I guess only moja, the owner and the fly will know the real truth :wink:

Points 51; Position 21
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

I discussed the moja 'fly' incident with the owner. He remembers it very well, but disputed the actual chain of events as reported on this thread. I guess only moja, the owner and the fly will know the real truth :wink:[/quote]

Had been going to give the place another chance but after the above comment we will not be doing so. Trust me the incident happened exactly as I stated what would be the point of me lying?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Excellent place. Best 'blue' steak in town :munch:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

have eat there many times and the food and service have been great and already looking to my next
visit when im back from Korat tommorrow.

:cheers: :cheers:
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Thais and the truth are somewhat like an oxymoron moja.
Rone

Post by Rone »

Surprised it was empty if it was the evening, although I have never seen anyone there during the day. Been there a few times and never disapointed. Good food, good service and decent price. Couple of days ago we went in and just had a selection of their starters between two of us. Of course we ordered too much but it was still good value and very tasty. Try the bruchetta - very nice. Seems to be a popular place with the Swedish (Scandinavians).