Chris (Guess) final goodbyes

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I think that yesterdays news about the very sad death of Chris deserves a new thread. And Chris deserves it as well. The news naturally broke on the long running 'hospital' thread which goes back in time to his admission to hospital over a year ago. It just doesn't seem right to continue our thoughts on that thread.
Since then Chris was discharged from hospital and was obviously doing his damndest to get well at home. At times he clearly struggled, but always seemed to put on a brave face. There were long periods of time when he wasn't posting on HHAD at all, but then little spurts of messages - always thanking people for their help and support during his time of need.
And support there certainly was from many HHExpats, who rallied round like I've never seen before, with fund raising nights and other collections.
I chose to put this message on The Beach Bar because I think that's where Chris would have wanted it. He devoted much of his time in HuaHin to getting his own bar up and running. Not without it's problems of course, but then most of us have gone through that, and we watched his dogged determination with a mixture of admiration and 'oh my god what is he doing to that place!'
It wasn't without it's comedy either, and many will remember his unrelenting quest to find the perfect bar name.
But it turned out fine, and Chris was always there with a welcome, and time for a chat.
I'd like people to add their own memories of Chris in a kind of tribute to one of HuaHins characters - who I will always think of as 'All Bar One'
Sleep tight Chris.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Chris, rest in peace mate, is sad in one way, but you fought to the end, where many would have given up long ago.
Was great to finally meet with you on my last trip over and give my thanks to you and Oi for the for the good times that were had.
I hope you will be at peace now, but you will never be forgotten by everyone here.
My thoughts are with Oi and both families and hope that he will be fondly remembered by everyone that knew him.
Not much more I can think of, but have a few beers with the Soulman when you meet up.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

At the moment I want to think about the great moments with him and about his great ability to talk about different subjects with great knowledge. There were many evenings when I went to see him at his bar to have a chat with him. Yesterday I went through some old e-mails he had sent me and the topics varied from druids to the British war in Malaysia. All those were written in order to give me more info about the topics we had discussed previously. So thank you for the memories, Chris. R.I.P.
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Farewell Chris, we didn't always see eye to eye on the kareoke groove but such were the ways...
RIP
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

RIP Chris
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

When Chris arrived in Hua Hin he had a rather violent GF, cant remember her name (Wan i think) but she struck fear in everyones body when she lost her temper... Tasmanian devil springs to mind! At this time i lived above JWs (right beside Chris) One night I woke to the most terrific argument... well not an argument more her just yelling... after about 10 mins the glasses started to shatter... i went down the stairs, where the problems were happening, shouted to Chris to make sure he was ok, he said that he was at the moment! Only a few minutes passed and a huge crash came and i heard Chris yell for help - i saw her in the street with a pool cue, from behind the stell window covers i screamed at her to XXXX off and that the police were on the way, a thai guy from the end of the street starting yelling at her too, anyway she jumped on her bike and went. Found Chris with a head wound and a nasty gash on his hand. She had hit him with a mini disco ball! With blood dripping off his nose his first words were "the bloody stupid cow.... that disco ball came from Bangkok!", to that we both grinned and had a good giggle (for about 30 seconds) its was then on the bike up to San paolo to get him fixed up! Thankfully that GF didnt last long!
Chris was a gentle guy a good friend and always happy to listen.

Chelsea got it right, I too hope he is having a sangers and coke with the soul monsta with Edwin Starr blasting out!
Rest guys.
halex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by halex »

Farewell Chris. Thanks for the time we spent. Thanks for the lessions
in pool rules you gave me.
Rest in peace.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

RIP Chris
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

As above RIP
Still enjoy yourself though :cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I met Chris for the first time in March 2004.
A friend, (Wij which a lot of you know) introduced me to this strange Englishman who turned out to be a walking encyclopaedia and instantly became a good friend.

He was a warm and kind person who personally helped me settle down in Hua Hin. Without him and Wij I would not have been here, but in Phitsanulok.

The Sugar Cane was our natural place of rendezvous and when I brought my 87 years old father there, he and Chris had a very long chat about WWII and the Norwegian Spitfire squadrons stationed at the North Weald airfield.
Chris of course knew everything about that!!!

Chris was one of a kind.
You don't find easy people like him anywhere. He was a person who either called you or asked you by email: "How are you" or "you OK"?

He was a person who could talk about everything, from football and vegetables, science and rocket engineering, to Greenpeace and computers.
He just knew everything!!
When a man like him passes away, you are mourning and strongly feeling that you have lost a true friend.
It's hard to tell you how much I miss him, especially in English, but he was my guiding star if you wish.
He and Oi formed an outstanding unity with love and respect for each other as a guiding star.
When the sad news about his death finally reached me, I was devastated, even if I knew he was in hospital.
I friend is gone - but we'll meet again and will have our usual beers.
In heaven and not in Sugar Cane or Bang Saphan as usual.
RIP Chris.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Norseman,
A truly wonderful tribute, and the greatest thing of all is that Chris knew how you feel, as you came to his rescue and saved his life through your actions and financial help when he needed it. And you brought his plight to our attention so others could help as well - Chris never forgot that (did he ever forget anything?) and was truly touched by your generosity of spirit and pocket. Too often people die and those left behind have the 'I wish I had said or done this while they were alive' feeling, but you have the comfort of knowing that you did say and do the things that showed your feeling.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Thank you WL, but the real heroes here are all the members of HHAD and the Bang Saphan Forum who managed to club together the capital needed to save Chris's life in Chumpon. His heart stopped beating not only once, but twice and that slot machine of a defibrillator didn't work without a steady input of money.
But it's all history now.

What we have learnt from this is that we need friends and people around us who care when all the odds are against you.
As Obama says; YES WE CAN!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Sorry Mags, I never met Chris but I have followed his story over the last year or so.

He seems to have touched so many hearts over the years and will be sadly missed by family and friends alike.

All I can say is R.I.P. to a man I never met but wished I had.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I too don't think I ever met Chris but as a result of HHAD felt I knew him well.

R.I.P mate...
www.35mmview.com
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

I'm rather afraid I'm in the same boat. I never knew Chris except through his being Guess on HHAD. But yet I would guilty if I didnt put my condolences on here. There's too many stalwarts from on this forum who've left us so I hope Chris is now happy at the HHAD party in the sky.

Or if anyone's Buddhist, I hope the reincarnations have been kind on those who led good lives.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม