Post edit function disabled

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post edit function disabled

Post by Lev »

Following recent incidents and a number of occasions in the past where members have gone back and edited posts, thus rendering a thread unreadable, we have decided to disable this function. Discussions have also gone awry when people decide to detract their arguments without offering explanation, or they simply have an e-tantrum and delete everything.

Editing posts will be at the discretion of the moderators only so please take a few seconds to use the Preview function (next to the Submit button) before you post. This will also help you ensure your thread title is representative of its content and not gibberish.

Double posts will still be cleaned up by the moderators as they are usually caused by poor internet connections. Requests for edits should be sent to the moderators for consideration, deleting entire threads is not an option, and all edits must be backed up with a justifiable reason which will be printed in place of the edited text, typos and other mistakes can be avoided with the Preview function as mentioned above.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I suppose it will make people think more clearly before hitting the "submit" button and spending a moment to check it again if you only have one go at it and the first response is usually the genuine one, should be interesting.

I don't mind, not a bad thing, I have edited in the past for typos/ambiguity etc but in general "editing" posts could be construed as a bit spineless anyhow.

Beware posting when you're drunk then, don't think 'pissed-up' will be a good enough excuse . ImageImage
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

While we're on this subject Lev/Mods and change is happening, any chance of having a spell/grammar check feature on the posting page that you can turn on or off depending on whether you want to use or not, some might like it?

If it's already possible then could someone advise as to how to turn it on and off for the benefit of all. This could be a desirable option for some and could help/make it easier to spot typos etc.

Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

spitfire,
Almost all browsers have a spell check facility now, all you need to do is turn it on if it isn't already. The only problem I have with them is that most of them are configured for American English so will highlight 'errors' which are not! Some browsers also have a grammar checking facility too.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Ah.....erm....yes WL, It's on my Google tool bar. Shows how digitally aware I am. Image
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

spitfire wrote:.....Beware posting when you're drunk then, don't think 'pissed-up' will be a good enough excuse .
If you wake up the next morning (or week :shock:) and realize you've put your foot in it, just make another post clarifying things. Everyone lets off a rant now and then they regret later. Nothing wrong with just saying so in a new post. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

spitfire wrote:Ah.....erm....yes WL, It's on my Google tool bar. Shows how digitally aware I am. Image
Well you've got a new smiley toy! Image
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Can we not have a 3 minute grace period?

It won't make much difference to the flow of the posts and stops mass deletions but gives you time to edit if you forgot to preview.Image
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The only problem I have with them is that most of them are configured for American English
Wanderlust, is there any other kind? :duck: :duck: :duck: :run:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

BaaBaa. wrote:Can we not have a 3 minute grace period?

It won't make much difference to the flow of the posts and stops mass deletions but gives you time to edit if you forgot to preview.Image
BaaBaa,
I wondered the same but apparently it can only be either on or off - limitations of the forum software. Using the Preview function is the best way all round, or simply just reading what you've typed before hitting submit.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just got a new version of Internet Explorer after using the old one for over five years and it has indeed got a spell checker on the tool bar, so we should be able to manage without editing.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Just a suggestion (I think I'm in the right sub forum!) - why not make the edit facility available to posters who have earned it, determined by Admin and Mods, if that is technically feasible? From a previous edited post by Lev/a Mod since it was switched off, it seems to be possible as Lev/whoever commented that they could still edit. If someone then transgresses it could be something that can be removed again as a punishment. Just an idle thought really rather than any demand for it though.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

:agree:

Anyone with over 2000 posts. :P
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Interest idea WL, how would you "earn" the privilege? Number of posts? Moderators discretion?

2000 might be a bit high BaaBaa. Being true to your avatar though. :wink:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Wanderlust wrote: if that is technically feasible?
Not at the moment.

A better way to do it IMO would be to allow a time limit for edits, say not more than 5 minutes after posting. Again not technically feasible at the moment but there maybe a script on the phpBB site.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson