Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:49 pm
lomuamart wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:34 pm Larb moo, I think. There are plenty of recipes on the net.
That's the one I'm sure - many thanks :thumb:

Through that I found this site which looks worth investigating!!

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-larb-recipe/

:cheers: :cheers:
Is a favourite of many that one, myself included! Lovely dish with some sticky rice. Do miss a good larb moo, or larb bpet or larb anything...

Currently eating a pissing 'Thai Green Curry' pot noodle in UK. Doesn't quite hit the spot the same as the real thing. 😂
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I make Sprout from time to time.
I steam a kilo of sprouts for 5 min, no longer, keeping a few cooked sprouts aside for garnish. Then put the rest into a litre of full cream milk, bring to the simmer, add salt, pepper and a minced clove of garlic, blitz with a hand blender and add a few small pieces of cooked to a crisp pancheta or bacon bits. Break up the saved cooked sprouts into the soup, add a dash of single cream and serve.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

STEVE G wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:23 pm
handdrummer wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 pm
I need some som tom!

Recipes on You Tube.
Yes, I'm probably the worlds most inexperienced cook but have recently started to try cooking Thai dishes after coming to the conclusion that I wasn't going to be seeing the real thing again this year!
Good. Just follow the directions, measure accurately and you'll be fine. If you can't get a particular ingredient look for a substitute. It quite satisfying to cook something new that tastes good.
I'll just move this here to keep on topic. Has anyone got any simple recipes for Thai cooking suitable for someone who knows almost nothing about cooking? Particularly anything that uses ingredients that can be sourced in either a European supermarket or "Asian" corner shop.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

I absolutely love cooking Thai food at home.

You can get the essentials, garlic, chilli, fish sauce, lime at any supermarket in UK

There are loads of pre done sauces but I tend not to use those.

After that its up to you how deep you go into buying things like soy, coconut milk

Buy any decent thai cookbook from Amazon and just have a go, whats the worst that can happen.

I would try a Larb Moo type first, but really you can use any meat.

Get some minced meat and fry with your garlic , chillis etc. When cooked put on big lettuce leaf serve with rice and a singha from the same supermarket. Just like being back on soi 88. Lol

BTW you can get Papaya in the UK. Maybe I'm lucky that I have one in Wolverhampton about 5 miles away. Cost is a factor though as they charge £5 for a medium one! Amazon do sell also but cost is £13!!

If papaya is no good get a swede from supermarket its nearly as good. Trust me Thai restaurants in UK do not use Papaya either
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 pm I'll just move this here to keep on topic. Has anyone got any simple recipes for Thai cooking suitable for someone who knows almost nothing about cooking? Particularly anything that uses ingredients that can be sourced in either a European supermarket or "Asian" corner shop.
I regularly cooked a sort of generic Asian themed stir fry. Usually a boned thigh of chicken cut into bite size pieces, some veg of my choice (or what was already in the fridge), usually some pepper of one hue or another, some garlic, onions cut thickly for stir fries, I liked to add tinned water chestnuts cut in half, for their crunchiness and sometimes bamboo shoots and finally broccoli - what needed most cooking went in first and what needed just a touch of heat went in last. I just used an oil that would stand high heat and added a bit of whatever bottled sauces I had in stock. I usually ended with a few shakes of toasted sesame oil as I like the flavour. I would just pour that over some rice that had been simmering away whilst I cooked the stir fry and then wolf it all down far too quickly!
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Start with the basics - get some jasmine rice, or noodles if you prefer.

Chose any meat of fish that you prefer and add some vegetables of your choice - You can get almost the same varieties in Europe as you can get in Thailand. Cut everything into small bite size pieces - it helps if their the same size to cook together. Add staples like chilli, garlic, ginger and onion, and any condiment that you prefer (soy, sweet chilli, Oyster sauce, fish sauce etc) and a sprinkling of basil or coriander leaves and you’re there!!
vto
Novice
Novice

Post by vto »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 pm I'll just move this here to keep on topic. Has anyone got any simple recipes for Thai cooking suitable for someone who knows almost nothing about cooking? Particularly anything that uses ingredients that can be sourced in either a European supermarket or "Asian" corner shop.
I pretty much started cooking Thai food from "I have no idea what I'm doing"-level, and I found videos were very useful in showing how it is actually done. My favorite site for the recipes and cooking videos has been https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/ She really explains things clearly and shows how to do everything, and since she doesn't live in Thailand, she also gives insight on how to find ingredients when not in Thailand, what you can substitute when you don't find the real thing, etc.

Some recipes I have taken from https://highheelgourmet.com/index/ which doesn't have videos, but lots of explanatory pictures.

Nowadays I cook Thai food at least once or twice a week, and my most often cooked Thai foods are green curry, red curry, panang curry (I buy my curry pastes, I do not make my own even though there are recipes for them), cashew stir fry, sweet&sour stir fry, basil stir fry (I usually substitute sweet basil, because holy basil is often hard to find), and fried rice. Sometimes I also make som tam, laab, or stir fried noodles (pad see ew). Jasmin rice to go with the foods is of course pretty much mandatory (and not hard to find or cook), and I have also been successful in finding and cooking sticky rice (usually called glutinous rice) to go with the northeastern foods.

Honestly I find 90% of the ingredients from the local supermarket here in Finland, and for the rest I visit the local Asian food store.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Thank you for all of the above.
I've so far managed a very simple green curry which actually tasted reasonable considering that it was pretty much just green curry paste, coconut milk, frozen vegetable soup mix and fresh ginger with some seafood thrown in. Cooking technique was putting all the above into a pan and stirring it about a bit!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Cookin Corner

Post by Dannie Boy »

You see, it’s not that difficult!! Next time, try adding some lime or lemon juice, something salty (stock cube and/or fish paste) and something sweet (honey/sugar), plus some basil leaves if you have any - it should all enhance the flavour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I surprised myself! I'm a bit limited in that I have a very basic kitchen in my apartment here, it's consists of one of those units with a sink and two rings on top and a fridge underneath, so I can't get too ambitious.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As good a place as any to post I guess. Worldwide dishes and restaurants - a fair few in Thailand and a few in HH. Looks interesting, but as to the accuracy however - who knows! :thumb:

https://www.tasteatlas.com/thailand

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:13 am I was back in the UK recently and was asked to make a spicy chicken marinade. I found the recipe on the internet but can't find it again. So as far as my memory goes it's thus:

50 ml olive oil
50 ml lime juice
3 cloves of garlic
Chilli to taste
3 tablespoons of fresh coriander

I think that's it although I might be missing something. Anyway, those quantities are for 2/3 chicken breasts.

Just smack the ingredients up in a blender and marinade for 3-4 hours.

The first time I did it the chicken was marinading for about 30 hours. Just didn't get around to cooking it. The second time it was marinading for about 8 hours and the third for only 3-4.

Even with the third attempt the taste was excellent.
Forget the marinade (for the moment), sounds ideal for a dipping "sauce" for seafood? Leading me to my next question: -

The LHG and I will be having a "seafood selection" delivered this coming weekend, but the one issue I'm having is how to cook the octopus! Ideally, I'd like to present it cold with a light, slightly spicy sauce (possibly as above). The big question is, how to cook the octopus to ensure a tender meat?

Searching the Internet seems to return suggestions of "blanching" then slow roasting or slow cooking. Pretty sure I've had BBQ'd with a great (almost salad) sauce in HH - hot but not over the top, usual lemon grass taste.

Any suggestions regarding either the sauce or how to cook the octopus would be very much appreciated....

Can't ask the LHG as it's supposed to be a surprise!!

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What you recall having here may have been squid. Below is a recipe and very close to how Thais would cook it here at a street food stall.

https://monahansseafood.com/grilled-nar ... nut-sauce/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:27 am What you recall having here may have been squid. Below is a recipe and very close to how Thais would cook it here at a street food stall.

https://monahansseafood.com/grilled-nar ... nut-sauce/
Cheers Pete :thumb: But the one I'm thinking is definitely octopus - could well be confused with locations though!! Certainly enjoyed squid salad (& BBQ) in HH and Thailand, but the dish I remember was octopus..... could well have been in China though :oops: , but as mentioned, I can't ask the LHG (it's our 20th and a surprise dish is in the making.. I hope).

[EDIT] Despite what others say, we do have some wonderful seafood here in the UK...... BUT Christ is it expensive!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's one that may sound familiar?

https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/tha ... 1001-342qa
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source