Mercy House Orphanage in Pranburi

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

bluezephyr wrote:My Neice has lots of clothes she no longer fits into, Im sure good condition clothes and shoes/footwear especially would be appreciated.
That's an interesting one. Would a poor Thai really accept someone else's old shoes? The head/foot - tradition/thinking may be problematic. For those type items, I would ask them first before arriving with them. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

My mates Thai wife was talking about somewhere in HH who she bought secondhand shoes from yesterday, she had no problem buying good condition shoes.
Any my Ben shermans did a runner from outside my hotel room in Samui!.

I didnt think about this Prcscct but worth a thought before taking them for sure :idea: . Surely any kiddies nikes/adidas/reebok even school shoes that are in Good shape and needing a new home be appreciated, Barry what do you think with this?
Tshirts and shorts/ jeans/trousers are quite cheap from local markets but footwear tends to be more money, And they dont last long either.
Im not talking old scuffed shoes, More hardly worn.
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

This sounds a bit like déjà vu!

Just a week ago I was talking to my gf that the wardrobe was near to bursting with clothes and shoes that she'll never wear again - and all in good condition. There are also some teenage girls at the orphanage about her size.

She phoned and asked if they would like them and the answer was immediately positive.

After she arrived, the girls unpacked everything and started trying the things on and shared them out among themselves - they were absolutely delighted.

I think this would be a great idea - also and especially for the younger kids - they were a bit disappointed that there was nothing to fit them!

Why don't we collect some stuff together, get some food items and sweets as well, and then a few of us go to the orphanage and make a bit of a party of it for the children.

We'd be more than happy to organise/coordinate something like this.
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

Barry, Good idea :idea: , Be great if it can be between 1st and 8th of May, Meet up with some more people and make a really big contribution at the same time.
If not, See you when im over :thumb:
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

barrys wrote:I think this would be a great idea - also and especially for the younger kids - they were a bit disappointed that there was nothing to fit them!
How old are they ?
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Francois, there are 24 kids there.

The youngest is 3 years old (boy).
The rest are spread fairly evenly between 6 and 16.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Hi Barry,
Is the office in town up and running and is it still ok to drop stuff off there.
I will be there in a couple of weeks and would like to donate a few things.
Thanks.
You only live once.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Hi Ozuncle

Our office should be open by this weekend - we're just waiting for the electricity to be put on.

I'll announce it here when it is up and running, but we'll definitely be open when you arrive :)
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

:cheers:
You only live once.
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

another thought...would any of the hotels in town be a potential place
( a separate corner/displaycupboard, or in their own 'gift' shops) for selling Mercy House merchandise?
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Barry, are we still on for next Saturday? What time do you want us there?
Haven't been to town for a while - have you opened your office yet? Did I hear there was going to be a restaurant attached??

Answers on a postcard...
This is the way
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Hi D-M,

We checked with the orphanage yesterday and the cruise is definitely on for Saturday.

So if you can be at our place just before 9 a.m., that would be great.

Our office hasn't opened yet, but we've signed and paid the lease already, so we will be opening soon.

Yes, there will be a restaurant attached - with beach access too!

If there are a couple more people who would like to get to know the kids and help out on Saturday, just let me know - you'll be very welcome!
samtuk
Novice
Novice

Post by samtuk »

sandman67 wrote:Im in, but I dont want to put my bar forward....JWs is the best place for this .....

:cheers:
:lach: a good choice. this bar good for making 'speshal' colekshuns
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

How did the cruise go?

Also bit of a bump for my origonal question, 5 weeks and looking forward to meeting some forum members :thumb:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Hi Bluezephyr

The cruise was great - best day I've ever had on my own boat I think.

We hope to have a photographic report of the trip uploaded on HHAD at the weekend for everyone to see.

We were at the orphanage again yesterday to give them the photos of the boat trip - took a few buckets of KFC with us for the kids and they loved it.
Their foster father said he'd never seen them so quiet on a Sunday.

It's the long school break now for 2 months so we're taking 3 of the kids for work experience in the holidays - shows them what work is about and gives them an income for a while, most of which will go back to help their "brothers and sisters" at the orphanage.

We've also found a commercial artist in Hua Hin who is willing to give the disabled lad (the one that created our logo) and another boy who's interested some lessons and tips in the holidays.

I'm afraid we still haven't opened our office in Hua Hin yet - simply been too busy - but we will be able to accept items for the orphanage soon!