HHAD/Awol partnership

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Pete, follow BB’s link above, and when you find it don’t take the horoscope too seriously!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Except for the first page news and some local sports reporting what is there?

Most of the 'articles' could have been prepared last year and been included in any other English periodical - although who would buy it I do not know.

I am curious as to why it is a good opportunity for HHAD?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just browsed through the latest issue quickly and on the surface it looks like an enjoyable light read. Looking forward to reading all of it later on.

One note for Buffalo Bill. In many places in this world 05/02/2009 means May 2, 2009. You may have people coming to your place with your discount coupon months from now. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
AWOL

Post by AWOL »

PET,
If there is any real news that happens in the area, AWOL will cover it; however we don't regard much of what is reported in the other local papers as either news or interesting, which in some ways is why many of us like living here (i.e. it is safe and you don't get the stream of murders, suicides and other sensational happenings that occur in some tourist spots). AWOL is intended as a paper that is enjoyable to read, so that will include any local stuff that we think will be of interest, plus other interesting and amusing stories from around the world, some of which may or may not be real, plus the usual 'fluff' that people seem to like (crosswords, horoscopes etc). The final point you are missing is that you do not have to BUY it - it is FREE!

As far as it being a good opportunity for HHAD, you should read the original post again - it means that both HHAD and AWOL can offer better deals for their advertisers and also spread the word about both organisations, as well as a certain amount of content sharing.

Incidentally, many of the criticisms you level against AWOL could equally apply to most tabloid newspapers worldwide, and those you do have to pay for...
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I know AWOL is free in HH: I was just suggesting what might occur elswhere.

I can see the advertising advantages with the partnership, but ' you must be having a laugh' to compare AWOL equally with worldwide tabloids.

Good luck though.
AWOL

Post by AWOL »

PET,
Thank you for the good luck wishes. I wasn't comparing AWOL with national tabloids but just pointing out that your criticisms could apply equally to them, which you have to pay for. Please send AWOL any local news or issues that you think should be in there and we will do our best to oblige if we feel they are what people want to read. This account still does not have enough posts yet to be able to put the email address here but it is in the paper - we have an advert in the paper requesting people to tell us what they want and what they think, and your comments are welcome - if there was more interesting local content available you can be sure we would include it.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

As there would appear to be such a lack of local news why bother.

World wide tabloids have to be more interesting, but you pay for what you get?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Actually I’ve read AWOL a couple of times when I’ve been sat in a cafe or bar, and a copy has been on the table, and I found it a refreshing change from the other local free periodicals that consist largely of page after page of computer generated property adverts.
It’s a bit of easy reading and light hearted entertainment, for me to while away the time as my partner leisurely discusses with the cook about what parts of the Issan countryside are on the menu!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree:

You have to take publication for what it is. It's light hearted entertainment with a splattering of local news and adverts. It is not, nor does it claim to be The Times or The Bangkok Post. I liken it more to the Metro.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's a beach resort newspaper and long may it stay that way. Light reading on a lazy afternoon and to swish flies away with if necessary, while sipping a Singha, or a gin tonic. :shock: The Pattaya Mail started off that way long ago but lost the plot as the town grew. Let other HH periodicals go that route, and hopefully AWOL will stay as it is.

If you can find some retiree who enjoys trecking about, it would be a hoot to have reviews of beach activity such as the best sum tum and meat on a stick vendor, which beach cooler box babe is offering the cheapest beers, are the horses still pooping too much and where, where are the jet skis becoming a problem, what cove has the worst jellyfish problem, how long does it take to walk from x to x and can you do it at high tide?...on and on. That would be a public service for tourists and expats as well, and fun to read regularly if the writer has imagination and an investigative soul. I think you have folks there who would do that for free, I would. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

hi AWOL would it be possible to place the dog i found in this weeks issue?
:D :D
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Face it Split... you're stuck with that dog now! :D :D :D
AWOL

Post by AWOL »

splitlid,
In case you're not joking, send us a PM by tomorrow noon, or an email to the address found in the paper (still not enough posts to put it in here - sorry!) and we'll see what we can do. We can run a small story with a photo (if you send us one) which might find the owner. :o
AWOL

Post by AWOL »

Finally we can put email addresses and links in here! It is awol@huahinmedia.com for anyone who wants to contact us directly.
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

thanks for the offer AWOL, but it looks like shes here to stay for a while at least. :) :?
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"