Vaccines - Covid 19

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.

Full time or part time foreign residents of Thailand which vaccine(s) have you or will you receive?

______First__________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
15%
Johnson & Johnson
1%
Moderna
1%
Pfizer
18%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
14%
Other
No votes
______Second________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
25%
Moderna
3%
Pfizer
20%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 79

GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Vaccines - Covid 19

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

PeteC wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm Where are the compressor powered inoculation air guns the military uses, or used to use. 1 person every 5 seconds is the average if the line moves properly. :idea:
As far as I know, needle-free injection systems can only be used for vaccines where there is clinical trial data showing that the vaccine in question is both safe and effective when given by the transdermal route rather than intramuscularly.

There haven't been any clinical trials of the currently-approved CoViD-19 vaccines in which they were administered transdermally so there is as yet no safety or efficacy data that would allow a regulatory body to approve them for use via that method.

Interestingly enough, one of the twoThai vaccines currently under development will use the PharmaJet needle-free system for its human trials in Australia.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:54 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:11 pm
Thailightzone wrote:I was in Bangkok Hospital today and I asked the Doc if the hospital will be selling vaccines, he said yes, soon.
Didn’t you ask him how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to an article on the Buriram Times website today, private hospitals are likely to be offering the vaccine at a price of around 2,000 Baht per shot.
Providing that’s for a genuine vaccine, doesn’t sound too bad for Thailand.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

GroveHillWanderer wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:11 pm
Thailightzone wrote:I was in Bangkok Hospital today and I asked the Doc if the hospital will be selling vaccines, he said yes, soon.
Didn’t you ask him how much?

According to an article on the Buriram Times website today, private hospitals are likely to be offering the vaccine at a price of around 2,000 Baht per shot.
There are Private Hospitals in Thailand... and then there's the Bangkok Hospital group!

5000 minimum is my bet!

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Remember they are going to be covering qualifying expats for free.

Just depends on if you are willing to wait in the queue behind street bums & soi dogs before being jabbed with the Russian Sputnik vaccine obtained at a medical clearance sale.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Quickly forgotten:-
All residents of Thailand, regardless of citizenship, will be eligible for free vaccinations against COVID-19, health officials said today as they sought to address concerns over the kingdom’s slow rollout of inoculations.

“The total 63 million doses this year are enough to cover the public, and it’s within our capacity to provide free inoculation,” Anutin said. “We have a policy to not leave anyone behind and must inoculate anyone at risk of spreading the virus, not only Thais. So the vaccines will cover everyone that resides in Thailand.”
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:Quickly forgotten:-
All residents of Thailand, regardless of citizenship, will be eligible for free vaccinations against COVID-19, health officials said today as they sought to address concerns over the kingdom’s slow rollout of inoculations.

“The total 63 million doses this year are enough to cover the public, and it’s within our capacity to provide free inoculation,” Anutin said. “We have a policy to not leave anyone behind and must inoculate anyone at risk of spreading the virus, not only Thais. So the vaccines will cover everyone that resides in Thailand.

Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

No, they meant expats, I think the wording I read was "qualifying expats" (valid visas). They also included illegal workers residing in Thailand, and they actually called them that. They said they must vaccinate everyone here for it to be effective.

I only want the vaccine because it is my passport (quite literally) to travel.

There is no point rushing to get the vaccine from private hospital, and paying a premium for it, until the borders of both Thailand & Australia are open with clearly defined rules and no quarantine requirements either end of a return journey.
I will also wait for the airlines to sort out their requirements for travel, and bring their fares to a reasonable level. I don't mind wearing a mask on the plane.

Then I will go pay for a vaccine if a Thailand supplied one is not on the horizon.
Last edited by Thailightzone on Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thailightzone wrote:No, they meant expats, I think the wording I read was "qualifying expats" (valid visas). They also included illegal workers residing in Thailand, and they actually called them that. They said they must vaccinate everyone here for it to be effective.
Noted, I didn't read it properly as I was on a motorbike taxi! Image

Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:21 pm
Thailightzone wrote:No, they meant expats, I think the wording I read was "qualifying expats" (valid visas). They also included illegal workers residing in Thailand, and they actually called them that. They said they must vaccinate everyone here for it to be effective.
Noted, I didn't read it properly as I was on a motorbike taxi! Image

You read it correctly, but as with most Thai Gov't communiques it is what is not written or omitted which is the most valuable and informative part. :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I heard on the radio yesterday that they were funding vaccines for migrant workers - I think the cost was ฿1M (I'd have actually thought the cost would be higher).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:36 pm I heard on the radio yesterday that they were funding vaccines for migrant workers - I think the cost was ฿1M (I'd have actually thought the cost would be higher).
You're right - that does sound low. Even if you take the lowest quoted cost I've seen (£3) for the cheapest vaccine (Oxford-AstraZeneca) that would only buy you enough doses to vaccinate around 4,000 people.

And even if they were only paying £3 per dose, you still need to add in administrative, logistical, staff and equipment costs. So realistically, ฿1M would probably only cover a couple of thousand people - not nearly enough for all the migrant workers.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ I've seen sinovac quoted at $60 per dose (or was it for 2?) so million baht won't buy much of that.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Could it have been one billion Baht, not million?

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe, I just heard it quoted on the radio news whilst driving.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Thai gov't to issue old style paper booklet style vaccination certificates. But the bit that caught my ear was @ 1:30 they will be valid for at least a year. This is the second time I have heard mention of these vaccines may only cover us for a (yet to be determined) period of time before we will need a booster shot.

I'm certain they will become a condition of obtaining visa renewal in the not to distant future.