Thai Chana app

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai Chana app

Post by huahin4ever »

hhinner wrote:Just back up the browser and tap the checkout sign. My wife unknowingly spent 30 seconds in Makro today without leaving home.
Well I've tried that, and back up on my browser after check in goes to my homepage which is Google. So for me it seems the page is built to not work like that, but needs a scan every time.

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You can do a lot of silly things with Thai Chana. My QR Scanner retains a history, so I can check into or out of any shop (not that I would) that I've previously visited whilst sat in my armchair. I'll say it again, it is not fit for purpose.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Topspin
Banned
Banned

Post by Topspin »

Used it for the first time today at Macro Pranburi using my Line App. Quick and easy. For those worried about your civil liberties if you have a Thai Sim card the authorities can track you whenever they want. As for Thai Chana it's better than nothing and I checked out whilst waiting at the till.
To all conspiracy theorists...“when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” :naughty:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course it is fast and simple, but it has too many loopholes/anomalies to make it effective. While people have the ability to abuse it, many will.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I find it simple to use but I can't see it being anywhere near effective. I'll carry on because it's easy not from a sense of responsibility. Doomed for failure, I'm afraid.

My daughter mentioned that you do need internet and she's found that it costs her 10/20/30 baht on her payphone when shopping. I have free internet so I can't verify that.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

My daughter mentioned that you do need internet and she's found that it costs her 10/20/30 baht on her payphone when shopping. I have free internet so I can't verify that.
Yes, and this is the very reason that I will not even attempt to use it. WTF should I have to pay for Internet usage when a better method must surely not be that difficult.
As I posted previously, Australia is using some Bluetooth software, although the latest reports also show that it is having problems.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:22 am I find it simple to use but I can't see it being anywhere near effective. I'll carry on because it's easy not from a sense of responsibility. Doomed for failure, I'm afraid.

Yes, I believe I mentioned the need for Internet in the OP.

It is simple to use, but not when you're carrying your reusable bags, washing your hands and having your temperature taken at the same time, whilst the people behind are impatient,

FFS, we went to AIS in Market Village today. We checked in, and were then made to stand outside in a crowd for 10 minutes because they didn't want people inside the shop. So I'm checked into the safety of AIS, whilst mingling with potentially diseased shoppers in the aisle outside.

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It might be okay in Hua Hin, but Bkk is different. I am there now and yesterday afternoon went to The Mall at Bang Kapi. It was heaving. The best thing about getting in was no silly temperature gun being aimed at you, as they have some sort of thermal scanner. Lots of help with the QR Code but not much effort made when in. In fairness they have a huge open department Store over a few floors that really can't be policed. But individual shops weren't trying too hard and strict social distancing is really not possible apart from when queueing to pay or waiting for goods. Some great bargains though, I was after trainers and flip flops and got great deals. On the way out the other half was in a hurry. She scanned but I never got time!

One daft thing was when we went to eat at a local restaurant. Despite the fact we had spent the last 48 hours together and had driven to Bkk in the morning, when we sat down to eat, we had to be separated by a plastic screen which seemed utterly pointless and was a pain with Thai Food, so we changed the angle of the screen so we could share dishes. We ate in a restaurant in Hua Hin on Saturday and no such screens were in use.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

She scanned but I never got time!
Another one stranded in a store. With all these hundred of thousands of people stuck in stores, they're gonna need to increase security!!!
lol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Fake Thai Chana websites phish for personal data

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... sonal-data

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has warned that fraudulent websites bearing the name of the government's Thai Chana platform are trying to steal personal information from shoppers.

The government launched www.thaichana.com and the QR code for use when people enter and leave stores and shopping centres as some businesses were given the green light to reopen on May 17.

Shops are encouraged to register with the website and customers are required to scan the displayed QR code with their mobile phone as they enter and leave the premises.

It was created to monitor the density of people on the premises and alert people if a coronavirus patient is found in a place they visited.

Several fake websites have been found, include thaichana.pro, thai-chana.asia and thaichaia-asia. They ask users to download their apps in order to steal their information, according to the CCSA. Some people have received SMS messages on their mobile phones asking them to go to their websites to download the fake app.

The Anti-Fake News Centre on Sunday warned phone users to ignore the SMS messages and not share them with other people.

CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin explained on Monday that the real Thai Chana is a platform, not an app. "The real one does not have an app to download," he said.

Thai Chana has 11 million users and has enrolled 106,000 shops and other places.

Dr Taweesilp encouraged more businesses to join for public safety.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 pm It was created to monitor the density of people on the premises and alert people if a coronavirus patient is found in a place they visited.
I've used it quite regularly (6 times today alone) and have never received any 'density of people' feedback. Has anybody received it? What does it look like?

Points 51; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin explained on Monday that the real Thai Chana is a platform, not an app. "The real one does not have an app to download," he said.
So WTF is a platform, please? :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:
PeteC wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 pm It was created to monitor the density of people on the premises and alert people if a coronavirus patient is found in a place they visited.
I've used it quite regularly (6 times today alone) and have never received any 'density of people' feedback. Has anybody received it? What does it look like?
I've never seen any indication of number of people in any of the stores I've scammed the QR for. The only feedback I've seen is the feedback the website asks us for on checkout.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Putting this here as it is related - Thai websites are not renowned for their security.

8.3 BILLION RECORDS OF AIS INTERNET USERS LEAKED ONLINE
AIS moved to secure its online database that leaked 8.3 billion internet records of its users, security researchers said Monday.

The leak was discovered by internet security researcher Justin Paine, who wrote in a post that it took two weeks before the telecom giant fixed it. The incident came just as privacy activists raise concerns over personal data collected by the government in the pandemic.

“Using this data it is quite simple to paint a picture of what a person does on the Internet,” Paine wrote in a Monday blog post. “Unsurprisingly the majority of the traffic was from Thailand, although there is a decent amount of traffic logged from surrounding countries as well.”

The database contained DNS queries (a demand from a user’s computer to a domain name) and Netflow data (IP address traffic). The information does not include sensitive information like passwords, e-mails, and messages, but they include what websites and apps each IP address was using.

Based on the data, Paine was able to pinpoint the social media sites and web browsers different households were using. Paine also noted that the database was especially looking at Facebook traffic.

Paine said the leak began on May 1 and exposed around 8.3 billion documents, or a total of 4.7 TB of information, without any password requirement.

He said he tried to contact AIS repeatedly from May 13 to 21, without any success. It was only when he reached out to the Thai Computer Emergency Response Team (ThaiCERT) on May 21 that actions were taken. The database was finally removed May 22.

Leaks of unsecure personal information frequently happened in Thailand, where privacy advocates have been pushing for tougher measures to protect data security.

Similar concerns were raised over the Thai Chana website that collects personal data of customers who visit malls and shops during the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/ ... ed-online/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I wonder whether this explains a perceived (as by me) increase in the number of Thai's putting pen to paper when entering stores? Yesterday, in BKK, I went to the local TOPS (to buy frozen pork pies if you must know, to take back to HH) and there was a little queue as each Thai in front of me did so, so I did the same!
Talk is cheap