Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Re: Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by Governor »

MrTea wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am Combining two groups of people by closing one office doesn't seem smart to me.
Whilst I agree, I suspect it was forced on them by the operators of BluPort, they've also closed the banks on that floor.
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MrTea »

I am due to extend my 30 day exempt on April 2.

Some Q's

Can the extension be done online?

Will they waive the fine if I delay?

Is there a number I can call?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

MrTea wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:40 am I am due to extend my 30 day exempt on April 2.

Some Q's

Can the extension be done online? ALMOST CERTAINLY NO

Will they waive the fine if I delay? KNOWING THAILAND, ALMOST CERTAINLY NO

Is there a number I can call? THERE MIGHT BE BUT GETTING SOMEBODY TO ANSWER WHO CAN SPEAK ENGLISH IS MOST UNLIKELY
On the basis that you are on a 30 day visa exemption then I believe you can only extend it once by 30 days at a cost of 1900 Baht. On the basis that there are unlikely to be any flights at that time, I strongly recommend that you go to the immigration office and find out what your options are - good luck!!
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MrTea »

Thanks.

I just read this (BP):

'It is questionable why the bureau let this reporting process run as usual even though the government earlier urged people to practise social distancing. Unfortunately, its online processing capabilities exclude those holding a 30-day tourist visa who wish to extend it. With flight cancellations or lockdowns in their home countries, many tourists stranded in the country have no choice but to process paperwork at the bureau's Muang Thong Thani office in Nonthaburi which has been roped in to help with the overflow.

'Apart from being exposed to physical contact with other tourists and officials, they also have to travel around the city.

"First of all, the bureau requires that they get a letter from their embassies certifying the need for a visa extension."

I was not aware of this requirement - for 30 day visas, specifically. Is he correct?
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

This person did a video of extending his visa in Bangkok. It’s madness.

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

MrTea wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:13 am Thanks.

I just read this (BP):

'It is questionable why the bureau let this reporting process run as usual even though the government earlier urged people to practise social distancing. Unfortunately, its online processing capabilities exclude those holding a 30-day tourist visa who wish to extend it. With flight cancellations or lockdowns in their home countries, many tourists stranded in the country have no choice but to process paperwork at the bureau's Muang Thong Thani office in Nonthaburi which has been roped in to help with the overflow.

'Apart from being exposed to physical contact with other tourists and officials, they also have to travel around the city.

"First of all, the bureau requires that they get a letter from their embassies certifying the need for a visa extension."

I was not aware of this requirement - for 30 day visas, specifically. Is he correct?
Yes, if you have already extended your tourist visa once.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

As posted above:

Visa extension applications

Due to the uncertain situation the British Embassy is able to issue a letter to support all applications from British Nationals to extend existing visas, if you need this. If you have a tourist visa you do not need the letter for your first extension because you can apply for it at an immigration office.

(Other embassies may be the same)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Governor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:13 am
MrTea wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am Combining two groups of people by closing one office doesn't seem smart to me.
Whilst I agree, I suspect it was forced on them by the operators of BluPort, they've also closed the banks on that floor.
The Malls were told what could or couldn't stay open not the other way around.
Talk is cheap
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

caller wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 pmThe Malls were told what could or couldn't stay open not the other way around.
But not told by Immigration?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just watched that video.

O M f'ing G!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Governor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:16 pm
caller wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 pmThe Malls were told what could or couldn't stay open not the other way around.
But not told by Immigration?
I don't think it has anything to do with immigration, but all to do with the mayor and Government.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

nil wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:44 am This person did a video of extending his visa in Bangkok. It’s madness.
Wow. Even by Thai standards that's quite something! You have to admire the way the Italian guy kept calm. I actually gave him a solo round of applause when he got his passport back! (Ooops, spoiler alert)
This is the way
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

caller wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:29 pm I don't think it has anything to do with immigration, but all to do with the mayor and Government.
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make when they were being criticized for closing BluPort and moving their whole operation to the main office.
I don’t think they’re covering themselves with glory with their operation though.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Governor wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:27 pm I don’t think they’re covering themselves with glory with their operation though.
Who do you mean?
Talk is cheap
MrTea
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MrTea »