Vaccines - Covid 19

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.

Full time or part time foreign residents of Thailand which vaccine(s) have you or will you receive?

______First__________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
15%
Johnson & Johnson
1%
Moderna
1%
Pfizer
18%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
14%
Other
No votes
______Second________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
25%
Moderna
3%
Pfizer
20%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 79

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Vaccines - Covid 19

Post by dtaai-maai »

The FT: https://www.ft.com/content/d6f5aff4-987 ... a76766cf5c
German government health advisers have signalled they might allow older individuals to receive the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine as EU governments come under increasing pressure to clear the stockpile of unused doses.

Thomas Mertens, head of the German vaccination commission, told German television channel ZDF that there would be “an updated recommendation” “very soon” that will “make adjustments to this point” — referring to the decision to recommend the jab’s use for the under-65s only.
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Re: the vaccinated as carriers. I read a couple of weeks back in The Times, that research being undertaken in both Israel and the UK, had identified that the risk of infecting others when vaccinated was either greatly reduced or did not happen, can't recall now. They were preparing for peer reviews before formally issuing the findings.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

More good news about the reduction in spreading Covid once vaccinated
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/ ... 21793.html
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Meanwhile, it's all going a bit pear shaped in the EU. What was that they warned Britain about? Oh yes, a shortage of medicines post Brexit.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/more ... -rq5s2x80h

The EU’s collective approach to buying vaccines suffered further blows yesterday as Austria and Denmark announced a pact with Israel, and Slovakia received its first shipment of doses from Russia.

Poland is also in talks to follow Hungary in acquiring China’s Sinopharm vaccine and several other countries are preparing to make their own arrangements amid frustration at the slow pace of distribution across the bloc.

Last summer the 27 EU countries decided to band together and order a common pool of vaccines. On paper Brussels has secured up to 2.6 billion doses, or more than five doses for every person in the EU. Yet only 51.5 million of those doses have been delivered and scarcely half have been used. So far, only 6 per cent of the EU’s population have received their first dose and the semblance of solidarity is beginning to disintegrate as states plan for the next phase of the pandemic.

Sebastian Kurz, the Austrian chancellor, and Mette Frederiksen, the Danish prime minister, are in negotiations with Israel, which has the world’s highest inoculation rate, over forming a “vaccine alliance”.

Kurz said this could lead to the three countries jointly developing and manufacturing the next wave of coronavirus vaccines, bypassing Brussels. “We need to ready ourselves for further mutations and we should no longer be reliant on the EU for the production of second-generation vaccines,” he told Bild.

A spokesman for Kurz later disclosed that he and other national leaders had been working on a joint procurement deal with Israel last May before the EU took over the vaccine orders.

Yesterday a spokesman for the European Commission said: “It’s not that the strategy has unravelled. We go through the European Medicines Agency because we want to ensure efficacy and safety. What member states do in addition to that is their responsibility.”

It did however say it was considering emergency approvals for Covid-19 vaccines to speed up its programme.

Some central European countries have taken matters into their own hands. On Monday night Slovakia’s prime minister, Igor Matovic, welcomed a secret military flight from Russia carrying 200,000 doses of the Sputnik V vaccine. “I believe that by meeting the deadlines and promised supplies, Russia will prove that it’s a stable partner we can rely on,” he said. His country has ordered two million doses.

Matovic’s coalition partners had earlier blocked his attempts to buy Sputnik V. This time they were not informed. Blindsiding the foreign minister, Matovic instead received help from Hungary — which is already using Sputnik V and China’s Sinopharm — to orchestrate the deal.

Tomas Valasek, of the conservative Za Ludi party, resigned as the head of Slovakia’s European affairs committee, accusing Matovic of “spitting in the faces of our European partners”.

President Duda of Poland also raised the “possibility of purchasing vaccines produced in China” during a call with President Xi.

Donald Tusk, head of the centre-right faction in the European parliament, said: “I warn against such a naive approach to these cynical players. I would warn the Polish authorities, and other European countries, against trying to vaccinate their citizens with a vaccine that has not been tested.”
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The EU continues to unravel.
You can't legislate unity. People who have pride in their nationality won't give it up to have 1 flag over all.
One currency doesn't mean one mind set.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

I was in Bangkok Hospital today and I asked the Doc if the hospital will be selling vaccines, he said yes, soon.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Thailightzone wrote:I was in Bangkok Hospital today and I asked the Doc if the hospital will be selling vaccines, he said yes, soon.
Didn’t you ask him how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:11 pm
Thailightzone wrote:I was in Bangkok Hospital today and I asked the Doc if the hospital will be selling vaccines, he said yes, soon.

It was on the tip of my tongue, but then I thought he won't know and/or likely not in a position to say, so i didn't bother.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Is that "soon" as in "There will be a high speed railway between Hua Hin and Bangkok soon"?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Thailightzone wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:14 pm

It was on the tip of my tongue, but then I thought he won't know and/or likely not in a position to say, so i didn't bother.
In all fairness, as Thailightzone says, the doctor in question would likely not know and even doing so would not pass on the information.

Needs to listen to Big Brother - is that the Chinese or Thai Government?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:33 am
Thailightzone wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:14 pm

In all fairness, as Thailightzone says, the doctor in question would likely not know and even doing so would not pass on the information.

Needs to listen to Big Brother - is that the Chinese or Thai Government?
I’m sure you’re correct, however if I had been in the same position I’m sure I wouldn’t have been able to resist asking - “nothing ventured, nothing gained”!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Besides, you'd probably need to be put on the oxygen after being told how much BH is going to charge farangs for the jab ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Here in Cambodia the government says that foreigners can request and be given the vaccine free of charge. This will start from the end of next week as I understand it.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Hardly a surprise Chinese would be involved in making money off the back of Covid-19......

I would like to think the UK would be safe from "fake vaccines" with the way vaccinations have been rolled out. Would others in the EU be tempted by "online vaccines" due to a poor supply/rollout? Again, I would say no - surely anyone of some level of intelligence would not even consider it ("vaccine passports" on the other hand....).

Taken from: - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... of-iceberg

Interpol Warns Fake Vaccines Seized in China and South Africa are ‘Tip of Iceberg’

"Police in China and South Africa have seized thousands of fake doses of the Covid-19 vaccine, the global police organisation Interpol said on Wednesday, warning this represented only the “tip of the iceberg” in vaccine-related crime.

The Lyon-based agency Interpol said 400 vials – equivalent to around 2,400 doses – containing the fake vaccine were found at a warehouse in Germiston outside Johannesburg in South Africa, where officers also recovered fake masks and arrested three Chinese and a Zambian national.

In China, police successfully identified a network selling counterfeit Covid-19 vaccines in an investigation supported by Interpol, which has 194 member countries, it said.

They raided the manufacturing premises, resulting in the arrest of around 80 suspects and seized more than 3,000 fake vaccines on the scene, it said."
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

According to an article on the Buriram Times website today, private hospitals are likely to be offering the vaccine at a price of around 2,000 Baht per shot.