The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am Shocking, though hardly surprising - that equates to 1 in every 5 FB user has been compromised. :shock:
I'll just add it to the list of other data leaks that has seen my data compromised! :shock:

Edit - actually I did have one that led to some money being taken from my credit card. Small amounts, quite subtle, even the bank weren't sure at first, but eventually agreed it was. Card was cancelled, payments were cancelled and a full refund given. I recall the guy in the banks fraud team telling me that there are many more data breaches than ever get reported. Companies will simply keep quiet about it when they can get away with it, whilst fixing the problem behind the scenes.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

As I told my wife, if you don't want the whole world to know, don't put the information on a public forum.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Nice to see Facebook and Instagram have been down for most of the afternoon/evening. The world is a nicer place for a moment. If only twitter could follow then we'd have a full house!
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's not just Facebook. Many US servers down apparently as many US hosted sites are down. I would think later today we'll hear it's some kind of attack.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

No news about what the issue is but WhatsApp is also down which I use extensively for messaging and voice communication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp technically don't exist in the internet world at the moment. 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20211004_213744.jpg
(219.15 KiB) Downloaded 6361 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, but unfortunately twitter is still twittering... :roll:
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

^^^
'Tis the one stain on a great evening. 2 out of the 3 ain't bad but it would be great if they all would just fk off for a short period of time at least. Let the hystericals suffer a social media blackout for a while (Edit: he says while using a form of social media :wink:). Add snapchat and tiktok, too.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Some updates

Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp all down in global outage https://mol.im/a/10058203 via http://dailym.ai/android
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

WhatsApp is back now anyway. Dunno about fb and insta.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

All back now. Was fun while it lasted. :(
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:53 am ^^^
'Tis the one stain on a great evening. 2 out of the 3 ain't bad but it would be great if they all would just fk off for a short period of time at least. Let the hystericals suffer a social media blackout for a while (Edit: he says while using a form of social media :wink:). Add snapchat and tiktok, too.
Christ almighty, don't include tiktok, my granddaughters would probably top themselves!!! :shock:
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, the world was a bit nicer for a moment there, maybe people actually spoke to each other. Shame it didn't last - I wouldn't have known otherwise!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Due to the Facebook shutdown, my wife has over 200 messages to go through. I may never see her again.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Facebook 'chooses profit over safety'
The whistleblower who shared a trove of Facebook documents alleging the social media giant knew its products were fueling hate and harming children's mental health revealed her identity on Sunday in a televised interview, and accused the company of choosing "profit over safety."

Frances Haugen, a 37-year-old data scientist from Iowa, has worked for companies including Google and Pinterest -- but said in an interview with CBS news show 60 Minutes that Facebook was "substantially worse" than anything she had seen before.

She called for the company to be regulated. "Facebook over and over again has shown it chooses profit over safety. It is subsidising, it is paying for its profits with our safety.

"The version of Facebook that exists today is tearing our societies apart and causing ethnic violence around the world."

In the 60 Minutes interview Haugen explained how the company's News Feed algorithm is optimised for content that gets a reaction.

"The company's own research shows that it is easier to inspire people to anger than it is to other emotions," Haugen said.

"Facebook has realised that if they change the algorithm to be safer, people will spend less time on the site, they'll click on less ads, they'll make less money."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... ver-safety
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson