Aggressive Expat Drivers

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Aggressive Expat Drivers

Post by STEVE G »

But such an anti-Thai statement is likely to offend the old codgers bumbling along on their bicycles getting in everyone's way....
When I'm on my older mountain bike that I don't care about too much, I constantly get held up by motorists who drive their cars through aforementioned potholes slower than I cycle over them!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I will remove many of the off topic posts within the next few minutes.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

In the Khao Takiep area there are aggresive Expat and Thai drivers who both of drive far too fast for the size and residential nature of the roads. Many of the expats I know are of eastern european origin.

While on the subject of aggressive expat drivers many are now following the example of Thai motorcyclists and driving at speed on the Khao Takiep to Khao Tao cycle lane. Have been almost knocked off my bicycle a couple of times. The cycle lane is used by many cyclists and joggers who have their lives put in danger by motorbikers with no respect for the clearly marked cycle only lanes.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

With a good driving skill, you are not a danger if you drive fast. Snail speed drivers and cyclists are the main danger.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

PJG wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 pm While on the subject of aggressive expat drivers many are now following the example of Thai motorcyclists and driving at speed on the Khao Takiep to Khao Tao cycle lane. Have been almost knocked off my bicycle a couple of times. The cycle lane is used by many cyclists and joggers who have their lives put in danger by motorbikers with no respect for the clearly marked cycle only lanes.
A few weeks back I was on the cycle lane and had to circumnavigate an ambulance (w' flashing lights..) parked on both lanes of the C.L.
Behind the ambulance was a pickup at 90deg (obviously crossing the lane blindfolded) supporting a huge dent in the side.
Behind the pick-up was a banged-up scooter and an even more banged up old Thai guy in a very large pool of blood including all over his face.
I would be surprised if this guy is alive today!

Please cyclists take special care when crossing junctions on the cycle lane.

:banghead:
GN.

Edit: sorry just realised I am off-topic here but wanted to mention after reading PJG's post.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I drove the road from the school at chucking out time today, and I noted my speed. On only one short occasion did I get above 50KPH, when I overtook a vehicle - I achieved 75KPH before reaching the next obstruction. Most of my time I was driving under 40KPH (not through choice, but necessity).

On the journey (to the school and back), there was one lone cyclist on a yellow pushbike wearing a blue helmet going in the opposite direction. I was not aware of any aggression being shown towards him by drivers of any nationality.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: