Thai Driving License renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Thai Driving License renewal 2019-22

Post by Big Boy »

Have you done the test, or has that been passed on word of mouth? I have sat and watched 3 relatives do it, and there was a test each time. If you go back on this thread to around this time last year, you will see I actually talked about the test, saying how crazy it was for Farangs because it was all in Thai. I said we'd all (most of us) have to get a Thai to do it for us. Or maybe the requirement has changed - when did you gain this knowledge please?

I was surprised, but pleased when I clicked the link I provided for lomu and an English option came up. Maybe they've not been able to think of any questions in English for Farangs.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guys, feelings are boiling over regarding the insurance issue. As a start, they don't belong here, so I will remove them. If you need to continue the discussion, please do so in the correct place, and please be civil to each other.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

OMG. All this debate about driving licence renewal prompted me to look at my licence. IT EXPIRED 10 DAYS AGO!

Therefore I did the online video to save watching it at the DLT. It comes in 4 sections and lasts for an hour. There is a very simple multiple choice question in each section making a total of 4, yes FOUR in the whole hour.
Obviously designed to prove you're watching the video. Nothing like a test as such. The answer is given just before the question arises. I doubt you have to do that onsite as you are in a room forced to watch the video.

Mystery over and I can 'walk in' to the DLT armed with my QR code proving I've done the video.

To be honest, most of us would be able to answer those 4 questions without watching the vid.

Edit: The first two sections are in Thai with English subtitles. The next 2 sections are in English narrated by 'farangs'.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you for the clarification.

Points 51; Position 21
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Got my 5 year licence yesterday in Pranburi.

I'd booked an appointment between 8-8.30am on the DLT app which also listed the documents I needed. They were:

Original 2 year licence
Passport and copies of details page and Non O visa/extension
Letter from Imm and copy
Doctor's certificate

That was it. No need for any written test or video. Had to do the colour blindness, reaction and perception tests which caused a few laughs as no-one quite understood what to do with the two rods that came together.

In and out in 1 hour 15 mins.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So they've scrapped the 'in-house' video! Makes the online video completely superfluous. That's an hour out of my life that I can't get back.

Whilst on the subject. Can you get the immigration letters at Bluport or does it have to be at the main office?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It just goes to prove, TIT and it depends upon who you see on the day :laugh: It proves that nobody knows Jack Shit because it changes daily :?

I guess the video machine had broken down :banghead:

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

And is the immigration letter just to confirm your address? If so, does anybody know if they will they accept the yellow book in lieu?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They accepted my Yellow Book,.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:35 am And is the immigration letter just to confirm your address? If so, does anybody know if they will they accept the yellow book in lieu?
They do where we are in the boonies, may be different up your end though.

Regarding the video, you don't have to watch it at the DTL if you have already done so on the app and received the QR code.

I thought the appointment requirement was scrapped after covid, but it looks like you still have to make one (mine is due in March)?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sent in error
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

.........................no-one quite understood what to do with the two rods that came together.
That thing is even more ridiculous than the stupid "test" with two bits of string that it replaced!

The last time that I was there madam tester that walks around on her tippy toes, got pissed off because I could not understand what she wanted! But as it reduces road accidents, it must be good! :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Surely it's a perception test designed to test your depth of vision. Maybe the test could be better. Vision depth is quite important when driving. Handy to know that something's reversing for e.g.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I was asked to show that I'd made the appointment on my phone as I got there but whether that got me any faster service or whether it was even necessary, I've got no idea. I just booked it.

As far as the video was concerned, there was no need to show that I'd watched it online. There was simply no mention of it. However, a couple of young Thais were going in to a video room. Maybe because it was for their first licence? Again, I've got no idea.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:16 am Surely it's a perception test designed to test your depth of vision. Maybe the test could be better. Vision depth is quite important when driving. Handy to know that something's reversing for e.g.
Well, I have licences to operate all types of vehicles: cars, trucks, tractors, boats, aeroplanes, helicopters, but not motorbikes!

Over the years, particularly with commercial licences for aircraft, I have had endless vision tests, but I have yet to have any of them involve a kids toy! Just how that contraption proves depth perception completely eludes me!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!