GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by Big Boy »

I've watched it for 2 days now, and it only seems to be going one way, and must be at its lowest for a while.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

It hit a 2-week low but is still up nearly 9% against the baht so far this year.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ups and downs I don't mind (prefer the ups of course :D) - it is natural currency fluctuation, usually with reasons. I just get twitchy when it seems to go in the wrong direction for no apparent reason.

Points 51; Position 21
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

The Bank of England next meet on 16th December to vote on current interest rates, and when they met last month there was strong speculation that they would increase the rate. However they made no change and so they could well make a increase next week and if so sterling £ will get stronger. If the market expect this there will be movement some days before 16th
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s a bit like share prices, you can get blips up and down over a very short period. - you need to look at longer trends. As we’ve seen on many occasions, the Thai Baht frequently does the opposite to what logic says, no doubt due to government manipulation!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We're looking at GBP in isolation but the USD is also nose diving. Against the baht that is.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Maybe because of the recent announcements and rumours coming out of Thailand, maybe not!
However, all major currencies have surged against the baht including even neighbours - Singapore, Malaysia .....

Gbp set to hit 45 again. Maybe we'll see it back at 46 before my next transfer!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, fingers crossed - I think we transfer about the same time.

Points 51; Position 21
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:laugh: I jumped the gun and transferred a week early @44.8. Knowing my luck it will go higher and I'm pleased for y'all
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

LOL. I did the same. Don't usually transfer for another few days but it was going up so fast that I felt sure it would drop. So did a transfer this afternoon and got 45.22. Shortly after it hit 4.50!!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

After the exchange rate against the baht heading to 46 for the pound, now all major currencies have nosedived against the baht this week. More shenanigans by the BOT I guess.

Now 44.87
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:34 am After the exchange rate against the baht heading to 46 for the pound, now all major currencies have nosedived against the baht this week. More shenanigans by the BOT I guess.

Now 44.87
The dollar has dropped from 33.9 to 32.9 in less than a week. Maybe it's because Thailand is importing more products and wants to pay less for them. Or?

The figures on the Forum are not the numbers at the banks, they are lower. It seems peculiar that every bank sets its own exchange rate.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's not just the dollar and GBP. All major currencies have dropped against the baht which indicates a strengthening of the baht.

Banks sell/buy currency to make a profit. Hence the difference to the online rate which is a mid-rate, half way between selling and buying.

Transferwise uses the mid-rate.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Possibly because of optimism about reopening tourism (again), test and go, and opening more sandboxes?
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

It's just the money men making more money its what makes the world go round.